Multiple Wives

brahmin

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 03:52 pm
multiple wives are one of the issues i choose to disagree with chiefs of african tribes on.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 04:41 pm
syntinen wrote:
Way back in this thread someone stated that the opposite of polygamy, one woman having several husbands, almost never happens. Actually it does, in societies that need to keep the birthrate down. An example is Tibet, which is both infertile farming land (so cannot support a high poulation) and traditionally peaceful (so the natives don't regularly cull themselves through warfare). There it is quite normal for several brothers to work the family farm together and share one wife, and that way they don't produce more children than the farm will support.

Trip out, I didnt know that. Interesting.

Is there anything to this tale I once heard about an Inuit tradition of "lending out" one's wife for the night as a gesture of hospitality to the (rare) guest?

It may be apocryphical (if that's the word), but that kind of seems as good a deal for the wife as for any guest to me. You get to fulfill your inevitable yearning for a change in diet every once in a rare while (a yearning that i'm sure would come up even more strongly up in some isolated, harsh place where there's probably little occasion for flirting) - without ever feeling guilty about cheating!

Too good to be true (apart from for the husband, that is - unless he goes travelling himself too)? Razz
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 05:01 pm
nimh wrote:
syntinen wrote:
Way back in this thread someone stated that the opposite of polygamy, one woman having several husbands, .

Is there anything to this tale I once heard about an Inuit tradition of "lending out" one's wife for the night as a gesture of hospitality to the (rare) guest?

The form of marriage syntinen mentions is called polyandry. It occurs in more places than Tibet and population control is only one of several purposes it serves. Reducing conflict between male heirs over an estate is another purpose.

Lending out is, or rather was, a practice among the Inuit but it was not done on a regular basis and was not done with just any "guest". It was use as a means of establishing reciprocal obligation between two men for their mutual benifit. Another form is co-wives, where two families exchange wives periodically or allow regular sexual access for the purpose of establishing a closer bond.

The western perception of marriage and the purposes it serves is somewhat unique. In many culture, present and in the past, sexual exclusiveness was way down the list of priorities, marriage served other purposes.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 10:17 pm
My dear Mathos - I will try not to take offense at the crude, base language you have chosen with which to address me, a lady. I will attribute it to the fact that you are overtired from your long, relentless toil.

I will not and cannot reveal my private and personal business, on this, a public forum, but if you refer to said "other thread" you may gain information which you may find enlightening.

I was in hopes that we could be friends, but I must inform you, as I have already in our past correspondence, I am not a woman who enters into a loving or sexual relationship lightly, and it is offensive to me to feel that that is your expectation. I, simply put, will be no man's "sample". In my dealings with men, I insist upon being the entire meal - which the right man will undoubtedly find nourishing enough to sate him for an entire life-time.

Good day to you - I remain- Aidan
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 03:54 pm
Dear Aidan, my lady,

How wonderful to read your words, and I appreciate your not revealing your private and personal business, on this, a public forum.

I like it when you get mad, it makes you come across so special, you have the capabilities to thrill a man, but you already know that.

You know, we are alike in some ways, I too enjoy the chase and the seduction, it enhances the main course beyond words. Your confidence is also inspiring, indeed, 'She know's what's what she does.'

Take care princessx
0 Replies

alakritz

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 05:25 pm
CodeBorg wrote:
Instead of outlawing nature, and continually failing (divorce, violence, artificial struggles),
why not let each person live according to what works well for them?

That would make sense if the government didn't get involved. They have no problem with multiple wives, and don't think of it as adultry, but two men wanting to get married is cause for all kinds of laws.
0 Replies