Multiple Wives

Mathos

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 07:00 am
aidan wrote:
Mathos - I can almost hear your voice - tell me - does it sound like Phil Hartman's when he was portraying Frankenstein on Saturday Night Live? Are you familiar with that at all? You know ..."Fire - bad". Just wondering...

Are you female Aidan?

I am not familiar with Saturday Night live, I dare say television may well be of interest to those of a poor disposition who need to enjoy their own existence via those they consider demi-gods. I enjoy music channels, discovery, science and history programmes. Sport, especially boxing and football are high on my agenda for television entertainment. It is a dangerous tool, used to influence and even control the lives of many. I would never allow soaps to be aired, especially the likes of Coronation Street and Eastenders, indeed I have walked out of others homes when such pathetic broadcastings have reared their ugly head. I hear the teenage element of society and indeed older ones expressing themselves with the non words, 'innit yabut, no but, eh eh he he err and yaaah on a regular basis. University placings are fiddled, society is generally being corrupted. Mark these words well 'Dear Aidan, "There will be moaning and wailing, and gnashing of teeth."

It really comes down to education and experience, when Tony Blair rants, education, education, education, what does he mean, a two year term on the thoughts of Chairman Mao? He is never explicit, not that one expects politicians to be.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 03:06 pm
I'm in agreement about television in general Mathos. In fact, right now, we don't have a tv that we can watch - (we're living in England where our television is useless due to the differing US and UK signals and circuitry) so instead of buying another tv, paying the tv tax, and paying for cable, we opted to do without. It was the best decision I ever made and I truly don't miss it at all - in fact when I am on vacation or at someone's home and it's on - it annoys me no end.

Saturday Night Live was a guilty pleasure I've enjoyed (on and off depending on the cast) since I was a teen-ager. Phil Hartman was a comic genius. Unfortunately, he's dead -coincidentally enough murdered by his wife after he threatened to leave her due to her chronic drug use. So there you go - one scenario where the woman demanded ownership and resorted to violence when the man demurred.

Yes, I'm female.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 03:31 pm
Hello Aidan,

You come across female and you sound very nice and straight forward. I like that.

I am aware, to my cost that American TV's are not
compatible with our supplies. Nor may I add are electric wall clocks supplied by the Kit-Kat company in California, mine melted under the force of 240volts against it's 110 volt capacity.

I am glad you are able to enjoy your experiences in life without watching a screen.

What do you teach?

I can appreciate you taking a regular peep at a programme which is humorous, it is good to laugh.
Don't you find so many people spending their lives in pockets of despair of their own making. I blame the box for these problems, they expand on objects of worldy desire, from the fancy houses, cars, boats and vacuum cleaners with the most attachments. People become foolishly jealous and also dis-satisfied with what they may well consider their lack of achievement in life.
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 03:52 pm
Mathos, you fail if you expect people to see you as a person who loves women, just lots of them, and that you are having the time of your life. Maybe you are young now, but you are certainly nothing new. It is where this sort of life takes a man - Marque de Sade, Bluebeard, maybe Caligula.

I think you must be joking, making up all this. Why don't you write a steamy novel. Wouldn't be anything new either.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 04:11 pm
Thanks Mathos - you sound nice and straight forward in this post as well - and I like that too.

Kit-Kat clock. Let me guess, one of those black cats with the tail that swings back and forth? We had one in our kitchen when I was growing up. Were you able to replace it with something similar? I had a similar experience with our light bulbs. I had rewired the lamps with 240 volt plugs but forgot that I still had our "American" light bulbs in them. They threw off this incredibly bright light for about five minutes and then literally exploded. Oh well, live and learn.

I do agree that we create our own despair. Having lived here for nine months now, I can barely believe that I participated so blindly in the culture of American consumerism and materialism for so long. I never really bought into it - always lived somewhat on the edge of it- but I can't even imagine living amid it ever again. I truly love it here - this way of life just suits me much moreso than my middle-class American existence did. Who ever would have guessed?

I teach students with Special Needs, in the states. I'm not teaching here however, as it has taken me quite a while to have my credentials and degrees evaluated and found to be equivalent to enable me to teach here. I have finally gotten word though that I am approved, so I will probably teach next school year.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 05:43 pm
Oops - I answered all your questions and I forgot to ask mine Mathos - are you really that Spendius fellow I was trading haikus with the other day? I read that somewhere, can't remember where - but it struck me that you've seemed to exhibit multiple personalities even right here on this one thread. Very confusing. Care to enlighten?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 10:14 am
Talk about clinging to emotions. No, mathos isn't clinging to emotions; he's stamping on his! WOW! Was he offended by the suggestion that he is a lonely person. If I hadn't hit the nail on the head, why is he screaming so?
0 Replies

fredjones

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 12:56 am
I am reading a book which touches on this very subject. * The author makes an interesting point when he says that women benefit most from polygymy. I have paraphrased his argument as best as I can remember. (*The Moral Animal, Why We Are the Way We Are: The New Science of Evolutionary Psychology by Robert Wright)

Think for a moment that there are 100 men and 100 women. Number one is considered the most attractive person, and number 100 is the least attractive (not necessarily looks but power or money etc as well).

Even if the most successful man (number one) marries only two women, all women benefit from this arrangement. All of the other women "move up" the social ladder, each taking a man who was recently tied up with a better woman, but now is free.

So wife number 3 gets man number 2, instead of man number 3. This is of course assuming that all women rate men equally (not true, but for our purposes ok). In this way 'lesser' wives are able to marry up in the attractiveness scale, and men generally marry down.

The least successful men are prevented from having any wives at all, while the majority of women are better off than they were before. All women are happier at the expense of a few unattractive men.

If this was true, wouldn't monogamy be better for most men than women?

Presumably the 'laws of marriage' were written by men (via government, religion and the like). Monogamy is a way to insure that all men are able to receive the benefits of a mate. Women receive the short end of the stick. So why don't we hear women advocating polygymy?

The argument seemed unique to me. What are your thoughts?

Edit: spelling
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 08:20 am
Quote:
The least successful men are prevented from having any wives at all, while the majority of women are better off than they were before. All women are happier at the expense of a few unattractive men.

Are the last couple men gay?
0 Replies

fredjones

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 01:38 pm
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Quote:

Are the last couple men gay?

I suppose that would solve a couple of problems. :wink:
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 02:30 pm
fred -- That's silly. People do not fall in love with other people because they are successful. If that were true, the divorce rate would be different. In fact, we'd all be a step or seven up the evolutionary ladder because some would remain single due to lack of looks, intelligence or initiative or all three.

Besides, this "theory" fails to address the notion of wanting a partner all to one's self. What motivates anyone -- man or woman -- to work for (imagine last word in italics) a mate that one must share?
0 Replies

fredjones

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 02:38 pm
Plainoldme-
People do fall in love with others that they are attracted to. That attraction can be beauty, compassion, wealth, any of these factors.

My question to you: why do we want a partner all to ourselves? What is the benefit? That is what I am trying to uncover here.
I have pointed out that it is possible to want an alternative system, especially if you are a woman. In terms of increasing the Darwinian fitness of your children, polygymy does make some sense.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 04:26 pm
sunlover wrote:
Mathos, you fail if you expect people to see you as a person who loves women, just lots of them, and that you are having the time of your life. Maybe you are young now, but you are certainly nothing new. It is where this sort of life takes a man - Marque de Sade, Bluebeard, maybe Caligula.

I think you must be joking, making up all this. Why don't you write a steamy novel. Wouldn't be anything new either.

Hello Sunlover,

I have no concern as to whether or not people see me as you describe above. Two things matter in my book ;-

Be fair in life.

Don't steal.

In addition, I am having a wonderful life at present. Life my friend is an adventure, and I have had my bad trips too. I have never once regretted being here.

With regards to your comparisons...Thanks.

As regards being young ! Oh how I wish.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 04:41 pm
aidan wrote:
Oops - I answered all your questions and I forgot to ask mine Mathos - are you really that Spendius fellow I was trading haikus with the other day? I read that somewhere, can't remember where - but it struck me that you've seemed to exhibit multiple personalities even right here on this one thread. Very confusing. Care to enlighten?

Aidan,

Hello my friend, hello. I have missed you this last couple of days. I admit to having thought about you a great deal. You are an extremely interesting young lady. (x)

No, I am not Spendius, there are, for whatever reason I have not as yet fathomed, numerous who consider us to be one and the same. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Yes, Aidan, {Lady D I reckon}

I have several different type characteristics in my written or facial expressions, of this I am aware. I consider it quite normal, I am merely reflecting from within the deepest repositories of my soul, the alternative changes one is subject to make, depending on the situation at the time.

As a school boy, I enjoyed acting very much and more often than not landed lead parts in the odd play or two. I was also approached by Church Ministers following a reading I made from the pulpit. I think I may well have made an actor or minister. But being a minister would have meant telling lies and being deceitful to people. I would have upset many by speaking the truth. Acting never entered my head, when I came into the real world.

But as in this posting, you can see the serious type. 'real me' if you care to look. However, when the serious is done, and it is depressing being serious, but at times a necessity.

Right now, I'm looking at the clock, it's 11..40.pm I have to be up early tomorrow. I would like to talk more with you, I hope you can reciprocate.

Take care 'My Lady'
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 05:36 pm
Mathos - Not trying to be the cynical, hardened Yank or anything but as we say in NJ - "You need to pull your **** together and get real, buddy".
I'll talk to anyone I believe is genuine, certainly - but as of yet, I haven't seen any indication that you are anything other than a figment of someone's imagination.
*Nice attempt at friendship though - you sure you, oops I meant your creator, doesn't want to be an actor?
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 03:24 pm
aidan wrote:
Mathos - Not trying to be the cynical, hardened Yank or anything but as we say in NJ - "You need to pull your **** together and get real, buddy".
I'll talk to anyone I believe is genuine, certainly - but as of yet, I haven't seen any indication that you are anything other than a figment of someone's imagination.
*Nice attempt at friendship though - you sure you, oops I meant your creator, doesn't want to be an actor?

Wow ! That was a slap in the face. I expected it actually, I am aware of just how inhospitable 'Yankee Girls' can be, even more so from New Jersey.. Wow, you need to have your wits about you to live there. The acting response is automatic, life may be described as an act.. Far better than existing in wait for it to happen land. It never does.

Never forget though, war makes rattling good history, peace is very poor reading. Plus the fact that it is difficult for women to express themselves or to define their feelings in language, which is mainly made by men to express theirs.

By the way Lady D, I am not a dreamer,
but I believe in miracles...x
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 03:43 pm
Yes Mathos - I'm glad you've returned, because upon further reflection, I do regret the unnecessary harshness of my response to your obviously heartfelt missive. I beg your forgiveness, and can only cite my extreme surprise and confusion upon receiving such contradictory messages from you within the space of three or four days. It is difficult for a woman to ascertain a man's true sentiments when they are presented in such a manner and on a public forum such as this. It was most difficult to keep my wits about me, but I have recovered now and hope you will accept my sincere apology.

Fear not, though I hail from New Jersey, and am an American woman who is more than well able to fend for myself, I also consider myself to be a lady of tender heart and gentle manners. I would be more than a little distressed to think that I had caused you undue pain.

With most sincere regards - I remain - Aidan

P.S. You need to tell Spendius to let you come out and play more often. Laughing
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 04:20 pm
aidan wrote:
Yes Mathos - I'm glad you've returned, because upon further reflection, I do regret the unnecessary harshness of my response to your obviously heartfelt missive. I beg your forgiveness, and can only cite my extreme surprise and confusion upon receiving such contradictory messages from you within the space of three or four days. It is difficult for a woman to ascertain a man's true sentiments when they are presented in such a manner and on a public forum such as this. It was most difficult to keep my wits about me, but I have recovered now and hope you will accept my sincere apology.

Fear not, though I hail from New Jersey, and am an American woman who is more than well able to fend for myself, I also consider myself to be a lady of tender heart and gentle manners. I would be more than a little distressed to think that I had caused you undue pain.

With most sincere regards - I remain - Aidan

P.S. You need to tell Spendius to let you come out and play more often. Laughing

A lady such as yourself, she need never apologise to Mathos.

It would be humorous to him. {xxx}

But, the pain, it does go deep and acute, I cannot see that I deserved such treatment either.

However, I am sure your words of pious content will one day be equalled with the tenderness of your womanly being.

Oh, almost forgot, 'same Kit-Kat company, same cat maybe, 'black with fancy glitter stones in abundance and an equally adorned swinging tail, going, tick tock, tick tock, tick tock.. for ever ?

Hey, I like you, and IF Professor Spendius allows me more freedom, I will accompany you to the ball. If your a good girl, that is.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 04:28 pm
[quote="Mathos"
Oh, almost forgot, 'same Kit-Kat company, same cat maybe, 'black with fancy glitter stones in abundance and an equally adorned swinging tail, going, tick tock, tick tock, tick tock.. for ever ?[/quote]

That's the one. Later....
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 02:51 pm
Hi Aidan,

Just a short visit, working late again today, making the most of the light nights.
Trust you are ok, I suppose I can understand you getting mad, and possibly horny at some of the variations i solicited to you.
But I'm smiling, reckon you are too. So that has to be a good issue. I reckon you will be married, I could be wrong, but I doubt it. Hey, on one of the other threads, we spoke about football, I am sure if you went to a game, you would be highly surprised at the education you would receive towards the character's at a football match.

They usually go home and have brilliant crazy sex if their team wins.
0 Replies