True Patriotism

frolic

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 04:51 pm
Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President or any other public official save exactly to the degree in which he himself stands by the country."

-Theodore Roosevelt

Many of those beating the war drums have not yet gone so far as to equate all dissent with treason, but they appear to be only a millimeter or two from that position. For the moment, at least, they are content merely to question the patriotism or rationality of those refusing to march in lock-step behind the Bush banner. And they conveniently dispose of principled opponents by disingenuously lumping them together with the motley menagerie of misfits and malcontents who have flocked to the phony "peace" standard held aloft by the Hollywood Left.

Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President or any other public official save exactly to the degree in which he himself stands by the country. It is patriotic to support him in so far as he efficiently serves the country. It is unpatriotic not to oppose him to the exact extent that by inefficiency or otherwise he fails in his duty to stand by the country.President Washington warned his countrymen against "the mischiefs of foreign intrigue" and "the impostures of pretended patriotism." Those cautions are especially apropos to this moment, when pretended patriotism is being called into service of the most mischievous foreign intrigues.

But how is one to judge who is "standing by the country" when those on opposing sides both claim to be doing so? President Washington provided the answer, in the same address, in his exhortation "that the free Constitution, which is the work of your hands, may be sacredly maintained."it becomes the American citizenry's obligation to compel Congress to preserve this "necessary" (Washington's word) protection.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,343 • Replies: 11
No top replies

frolic

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 06:27 pm
Similar view on true patriotism
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 06:47 pm
if only Ashcroft could read
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 10:12 pm
I agree with most of your words. I consider my antiwar (in Iraq) stance an act of the highest patriotism.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 10:17 pm
patriotism is, ultimately, protecting your country from your government.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 10:26 pm
Interesting discussion here. Wish I could contribute. But the mind is too tired tonight.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 10:29 pm
Exactly, dys, according to the founding father's. Unfortunately the Christian Right has redefined everything to suit their needs.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 12:20 pm
JoanneDorel, The Christian Right you talk about seems to be vanished on this Forum. Or do they share my view on true Patriotism?
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 03:48 pm
Frolic I was referring to politics in general right now in the US and not A2k psoters. After living in Virginia for many years and not Texas the Christian right has been a dominate and regressive movement that I have experienced first hand. It is my honest belief that Bush and his supportors are a part of this group.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 03:22 pm
"Many studies have discovered a close link
between PREJUDICE and PATRIOTISM.
Extreme bigots are almost always
SUPER-PATRIOTS"---Gordon W Allport

"Patriotism is fierce as a fever,
pitiless as the grave
blind as stone and
irrational as a headless hen---Ambrose Bierce
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 08:43 pm
Well, I don't represent the religious right, or anyone else for that matter, but this one opinion on what patriotism is and just another anti-bush post for the most part. You'll have to excuse those of us that disagree.

I don't believe I have questioned too many people's patriotism. I may have called a few anti-American, but as always, I reserve the right to hold my own opinion. It says so in every post I make. Just look below.

Some of us support the President and the war in Iraq because we believe it the right thing to do. Other's disagree, but can not both sides be considered patriotic? Is there a line in the sand that only those on the left side of are considered patriotic while those on the right are war mongering unpatriotic fools?

I can understand being against the war, it's not hard to do. It's not hard to be against President Bush. Hell he makes it awful easy to do. But, do you think that his actions are unpatriotic?

Quote:
In proposing that these United States go to war and send troops into battle on the other side of the world, President Bush must satisfy two important requirements:1)demonstrate that this is being done to defend the United States of America; and 2) obtain a congressional declaration of war. He has done neither.

Authorization for Use of Military Force
H. J. Res. 114 [107th]: Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 2002

Guess you were wrong huh? *shrug*
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 08:54 pm
Why i took the pain to revive this 5 year old patriotic song?
0 Replies