County of New York

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2019 11:05 pm
On the top of the page reads:

Quote:
Supreme Court of the State of New York
County of New York

Does "County of New York" mean "Supreme Court of the State of New York is located at County of New York"?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D43V6xKVUAAhjjD.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 605 • Replies: 5
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Sturgis
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2019 12:53 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
Does "County of New York" mean " Supreme Court of the State of New York is located at County of New York "?

No. It indicates only that one particular branch. Each of the 62 counties in New York has its own branch/location of The Supreme Court for the State State of New York.
oristarA

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2019 12:27 am
@Sturgis,
Thank you
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2019 06:40 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

Quote:
Does "County of New York" mean " Supreme Court of the State of New York is located at County of New York "?

No. It indicates only that one particular branch. Each of the 62 counties in New York has its own branch/location of The Supreme Court for the State State of New York.

I'm confused Sturgis.

I looked it up, and there is indeed a New York County, which is Manhatten.

I took it to mean not a branch, but the court for that particular county, which in this case is New York County.

Or was that what you were saying and I just didn't understand\?
Sturgis

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2019 01:47 pm
@chai2,
Oddly, you understood what I was trying to communicate. My brain drew a blank and I grabbed the word 'branch'. It was as close to the word 'court' as I could get.

Further, I had the feeling that oristarA was under the impression that there is only one Supreme Court location in New York State so I wandered...

(sometimes I wonder about myself and how exactly I've made it this far)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2019 02:03 pm
@oristarA,
Courts in various states have various names. The top court in New York, at the state level, is the Appeals Court. Individual counties (including New York County, which as has been stated, is Manhattan) start at the Supreme Court level if they hit a particular jurisdictional threshold, which is usually a dollar amount. Below that dollar amount, non-criminal cases are brought in Civil Court or the really small ones in Small Claims.

See: https://www.nycourts.gov/courts/index.shtml

Also, FYI Kings County is better-known as Brooklyn, and Richmond County is better-known as Staten Island.
0 Replies