Help: Is the crab a forbidden motif of art in America?

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 08:39 pm
Hi. I am from China. An artist friend here has designed some porcelain items featuring crabs which he plans to sell at a beach resort. But we have noticed the image of the crab appearing in western postal stamps commemorating human health achievements and in the logos of some health organizations, in which it symbolizes cancer. We understand that the origin of this symbolism perhaps has to do with the Greek word for crab, and there is Cancer the zodiac sign. My question: Is the crab a forbidden art motif in the west for this symbolic reason? Does the ordinary western tourist tend to avoid buying items featuring the crab for souvenir or gift? Or could the mere sight of a crab image in a store inspire enough unpleasant feelings in the western tourist to drive them out immediately? We are quite confused, with one out of a dozen humans having to be born Cancerian according to western astrology and gifts bearing the sign and it's English name seen everywhere even here in China.

Just how would you feel if you chance upon a porcelain crab at some beach resort?

Thank you for your help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,175 • Replies: 10
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 10:52 am
Hi Xanaduer. I can't think of any reason in the world why an American tourist would be offended by the image of a crab or crab figurines. It isn't an image you see depicted often but certainly not one that would scare buyers from the store.

Crabs are only associated with cancer the astrological sign, not the disease.

Good luck with your venture!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 10:57 am
Cancer was so-called because the first observed cancers were hard and clung tight to their victims, like a crab -- but it is a perfectly acceptable motif, I think.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 10:59 am
Actually, for a beach resort I would think it quite appropriate. The symbolism of the zodiac is likely the most common association of the crab, but it is also heavily associated with coastal restaurants and beach resorts / fishing areas.

Just remember, America is where we call a picture of Jesus in a jar of urine "Art."

Not much really offends us.

Best wishes with your endeavor.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 10:59 am
welcome, xanaduer! luckily we westerners know little about history and symbolism, thus we buy whatever is on sale! do not worry, the crabs are gonna do just fine.
0 Replies

Xanaduer

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 06:47 pm
thank you for your help!
Thank you for the info and the welcome and the good wishes! Smile From feedbacks i've got so far from folks in the Americas, Australia and Europe, it seems the crab as an art motif is ok with people everywhere around the globe. At another forum your countrymen even give me a list of resorts along American east coast where my friend could market his ware--tho I am not sure he has ever dreamed of doing business that far away from his home bay!

The crab in China is often a symbol of order-breakers and bullies; apparently because the creature's unique sideway walking style and powerful pincers tend to lead people think it's a strong-armer in the animal world who would push other walkers out of their way and hog the road. Thus the image of a steamed crab, with its body and legs all red and the pincers draped loose, symbolizes the bully who finally meets with what he deserves. Otherwise the crab has no negative connotations in China. It's sometimes also a motif of art, especially in traditional watercolor paintings depicting idyllic rural pond scene, along with other small water animals and plants. Its image is also commonly seen at sea resorts and on the billboards of seafood restaurants.

http://www.chinaschool.org/jstn/child-qcw/images/2003_03/200303_01/23/01.jpg

watercolor crabs by Jingjing, a 6-year-old kid
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 07:52 pm
That was done by a 6 year old!

It is so elegant. Thank you for sharing it with us.

I was thinking today about crabs and their image in American art and I believe the Navajo tribe used it as a symbol of strong attachment, as in love.

Other tribes might have used it as well.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 08:17 pm
I live presently in a city that is on a bay by the Pacific Ocean in northern California. Crab season is very important to my small town.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 08:26 pm
Mmmmmm, Dungeness crab. Tasty. There's something I miss -- but the sister's in-laws seem to have a big crab feed every time I'm out in California, so it's not entirely lost...
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 08:31 pm
Soft shelled crabs, lightly breaded and sauteed in butter with a little lemon or beer boiled hardshell crabs that you have to smash with a hammer, wrestle out the meat and dip in melted butter - yummy. .

I think Jingjing's crabs are charming. I would be tempted to buy a piece of pottery if they were painted on it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 09:03 pm
You know, the last time I was in Cocoa Beach, Florida, there were places advertising painted hermit crabs, so I guess it's okay. Hermit crab isn't really a crab anyway, but that's okay.
0 Replies