Pyramid Eye Dollar Bill/Official Religion of USA Government?

Setanta

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 04:39 pm
He had pearl handled automatic pistols. The United States Army Air Force issued revolvers, but the Army used for a period of more than sixty years, the M1911A1A .45 calibre automatic pistol. When we (i.e., the 'Mericans) were killing the Philippinos in aid of the eventual salvation of their immortal souls, the Moros were in the habit of getting "juked up" on hashish, and then charging an American unit swinging a machete over their heads, in the hope of decapitating or mutilating as many Americans as possible before they were cut down. The M1911A was designed to knock a man down at fifty paces--and it will. It isn't accurate much beyond fifty paces, but that was not the point. The .45 was replaced some time in the 1970's (i believe), and i'm uncertain as the exact nature of the replacement, perhaps a 9mm automatic?

Patton would indeed be a fascinating study for you. I don't have as high an opinion of him as he did himself, but there was no doubt that he was competent up to a certain level of command. Beyond the command of an Army (he commanded the Third Army, while General Patch commanded the Seventh Army, and Courtney Hodges commanded the First Army, all of them under the command of Omar Bradley), one needs a diplomatic touch and a sense of decorum which he scorned.

Patton was of the old-line polo club, lawn tennis and cocktails at five horse-aristocracy. He was a martinet who had soldiers who were not actually on the firing line punished if they appeared in public without a tie; he was also, with the exception of Courtney Hodges (unknown because he did no self-promotion), the best army commander Bradley had. Quite a screwball, too, in the best 'Merican tradition.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 06:54 pm
I think, Set, that Patton was a victim of the Peter Principle and had already been promoted to a post above his abilities when he was named to command the 3rd Army. He was a brilliant tactitian, a voracious reader and highly imaginative (he wrote poetry for his own amusement). As commander of the 2nd (?) Armored Division in North Africa, he did outstanding work in opposition to Field Marshal Rommel (whom he admired). However, I believe that any command above Corps level required way too much teamwork, diplomacy and politicking to be suitable to ol' "Blood & Guts." He despised Field Marshal Montgomery (quite rightly, I might add).
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 07:09 pm
Quote:
The .45 was replaced some time in the 1970's (i believe), and i'm uncertain as the exact nature of the replacement, perhaps a 9mm automatic?

Beretta M9. Happened in about 1990.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 07:46 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
I think, Set, that Patton was a victim of the Peter Principle and had already been promoted to a post above his abilities when he was named to command the 3rd Army. He was a brilliant tactitian, a voracious reader and highly imaginative (he wrote poetry for his own amusement). As commander of the 2nd (?) Armored Division in North Africa, he did outstanding work in opposition to Field Marshal Rommel (whom he admired). However, I believe that any command above Corps level required way too much teamwork, diplomacy and politicking to be suitable to ol' "Blood & Guts." He despised Field Marshal Montgomery (quite rightly, I might add). (emphasis added)

He commanded the Second Armored division, then the First Armored Corps--but the latter organization was scrapped after the near disaster of Rommel's attack at Kasserine Pass. He then commaned II Corps, and drove the Germans back into Tunisia (which Rommel is alleged to have acidly described as the largest self-supporting prisoner of war camp in history). Patton's armored troops had been taught self-reliance, and he fully inculcated the Frederician notion of initiative at all levels being encouraged into his officers. He is quoted as telling a junior officer who was willing, but expressed doubts about his ability to command a reconaissance force: "Just drive down that road, until you get blown up." In The Rommel Papers, edited by Rommel's widow and B. H. Liddel-Hart, Rommel complains that his own officers lacked initiative and were too cautious (stopping just short of blaming the climate created by OKH), and praised the American junior officers for seizing local initiative and fighting hard, even in retreat.

Given Seventh Army for the invasion of Scicily, he sailed to the invasion beaches in a troop transport, sneering at Montgomery for taking "an ocean liner cruise." When he could not get what he wanted in the way of coherent reports as to why his troops were not advancing inland, he ordered up an assault boat, and then is reputed (perhaps apocryphally, but in character) to have asked: "Which son of a bitch is running this boat? You, take this thing in there and put me on dry land." Going ashore, he learned that German armored units (the Hermann Goering "Airborne" Panzer Division) had stopped his troops, so he joined the Rangers, and lead them in an assault on the lead reconaissance units of the Germans, and when the armored columns paused, he called on the Navy to plaster the road intersections. Montgomery slammed head-on into the German defenders, and slugged his way through mountain passes to Messina. He arrived to find his nemesis, Patton, in possession of the city. Patton had driven northwest and then east, along coastal roads, with a fast column racing north through the center of the island. When faced with a strong point, Patton would send units along the coast in landing craft to get behind the Germans. He covered three times the distance Montgomery had in three days less time.

Then he slapped the soldier in the hospital. Told to apologize, he made public spectacle of it, and after haranguing the assembled doctors, nurses and patients for nearly an hour with his brand of American patriotism, grudgingly offered an apology. He was out of a job for a long time, and Omar Bradley, who had been his subordinate, was passed over him for command of the Army Group. Just before and during the Normandy landings, Patton was given teams of jeeps and radio operators who ostentaciously drove around the countryside using sloppy radio techniques to help convince the Germans that the real target of the invasion was the Pas de Calais--the most heavily defended area on the planet at that time. This is what Hitler wanted to believe, more proof, if any were needed, that Hitler was no kind of military thinker. Finally given Third Army and unleashed, Patton lost no opportunity to lambaste Montgomery. Informed of Montgomery's Market-Garden operation (which proved to be a costly disaster), he is reputed to have said: "Monty is preparing to fall upon the wiley Hun like a ferocious rabbit."

When the German surprise offensive erupted in the Ardennes in what became known as the battle of the Bulge, Patton disengaged from a very active front (he did not consider winter a good reason for a modern army to slow down), and moved three divisions across his rear to slam into the weak lines behind the main German thrust and relieve Bastogne and the 101st Airborne Division. He then proposed that his divisions be relieved, so that they could strike at the juncture of the new German line and their previous position, so as to "bag" them. Montgomery threw another of his fits, and Eisenhower gave him command of the counter-offensive. In his typical style, or lack thereof, Montgomery hit the Germans head on, and drove them back, mile upon painful mile, to the German border. That entire counter offensive is one of the most nightmarish and unreported operations of the war. Montgomery had a detailed plan on a map, complete with day-by-day objectives, and "phase lines." Patton refused to allow his units to be committed to Monty's command, and received permission to return to his previous operations. Matthew Ridgeway, in command of the Airborne Corps, complained bitterly that his regiments would break through German positions, and push on past them, compromising the entire German line, and then be withdrawn to one of Montgomery's "idiotic phase lines" (his term).

I can think of few officer less qualified to hold high command in that war than Bernard Law Montgomery, unless it would be George S. Patton.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 07:56 pm
Mathos: I was completely wrong about Patton's side arms, and you were right. I tried to link an image but it won't work. He did indeed carry two pearl-handled revolvers, one a Smith and Wesson .38, and the other a .357. Sorry about that.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 10:12 pm
Setanta wrote:
Mathos: I was completely wrong about Patton's side arms, and you were right. I tried to link an image but it won't work. He did indeed carry two pearl-handled revolvers, one a Smith and Wesson .38, and the other a .357. Sorry about that.

Intersting. I didn't know that. Always assumed they were Army .45 cal. semi-automatics, just spruced up with those ivory handles. And, btw, I think they were ivory, not pearl. He has been quoted as saying, "Only pimps carry pear-handled pistols."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 11:33 pm
That sure has the stamp of a "Pattonism," MA.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 05:24 am
Pearl handles.

Diamond ring finger.

Silver cane.

Mutual backslaps.

Promising handshakes.

All props.To do with insecurity I heard.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 06:22 am
AND.....he saved the Royal Lippizan Stallions.

http://www.herrmannslipizzans.com/History.html
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 06:28 am
Old Georgie would have felt that very deeply, being the "horsey" kind of guy that he was . . .
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 06:56 am
Very Happy And.......he enabled George C. Scott to win an oscar!

Wonder if "old blood and guts" and T.E. Lawerence were victims of accidents, or something diabolical?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 06:58 am
Applying Occam's razor to the incident, i doubt any conspiracy theories . . . his driver had a seizure of some kind, there was a wreck, George was dead, end of story.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:59 am
Of course, Set. and this is so ironic:

November 12, 2003
Obit for Patton's driver
From Sunday's NY Times, reprinted in the Seattle Times:

Horace Woodring, 77, a U.S. Army private who was chauffeuring Gen. George Patton through the German countryside when a crash caused injuries that resulted in Patton's death, died Nov. 2 at a Detroit hospital. He lived in White Lake, Mich. . . .

On Dec. 9, 1945, Mr. Woodring was behind the wheel when a 2-½ -ton Army truck collided with Patton's limousine. Patton suffered a broken neck and was paralyzed. He died 12 days later.

Posted by David on November 12, 2003 03:07 PM

WOW!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 08:02 am
Lettybettyhettygettymarycustislee
Has gotten the facts necessary to enlight you and me
Lettybettyhettygettymarycustislee
Is a jewell in all our crowns, as one can plainly see
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 08:12 am
Set, you are fantastic. Gotta get off this machine and wait for the roofers to come. Hope I don't have to pawn my tiara.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 08:13 am
Yer asmokin' roofer ? ! ? ! ?

Here, pass that over . . .
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 02:46 pm
Wow, we got carried away from my mentioning your 'Generals' America. It makes you realise though just what a bellicose group of human beings we are in general. History itself is 'war.'

We all know we are not going to stop it for a long time to come, if ever ! Perhaps a 'star fleet' from Galaxy 705 intent on destroying our little planet would unite us all against a common foe, until then we keep blowing one another to 'Kingdom Come.'

A few countries appear to keep themselves to themselves within reason excluding membership of The United Nations, Canada, Switzerland, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Belize, China, etc. etc. Britain and The USA self appointed 'Police Force' of the planet, but not doing a very good job.

From memory:-

The soul of a man went from his death bed to the house of judgement.

God said to the man,
I will send you to hell, to hell I will send you.

The man replied, "Thou canst not"

God said, "Why can I not send you to hell, and for what reason?"

"Because I have always been in Hell, I came here from Hell, In Hell I have always lived."

There was silence in the house of judgement.

After a spate of time, God said, "Seeing that I may not send you to Hell, I will send you to Heaven even unto Heaven I will send you."

The man cried out, "Thou canst not."

"Why can I not send you to heaven, and for what reason?" replied God.

"Because never, and in no place, have I been able to imagine it." answered the man.

And there was silence in the house of judgement.

I think the story, which is much longer is called The House of Judgement.
I am unable to recall the author.

I heard and read the same decades ago.
Sorry for any frustration at my lack of memory re the same.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 02:51 pm
spendius wrote:
Pearl handles.

Diamond ring finger.

Silver cane.

Mutual backslaps.

Promising handshakes.

All props.To do with insecurity I heard.

Feel free to join us Spendius 'Old Chap.' We are kind to senior, senior citizens in here.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 02:58 pm
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 03:45 pm
We are a peculiar animal indeed Letty. Thankfully, we have the National Health Service here in the UK it is excellent. There will always be those who criticise the same, complaints are normal regarding the levels of service etc. but in general terms we know how good it really is. Unfortunately advantages are taken of the system. A person from another country recently had major heart surgery and all the trimmings at one of our hospitals. It was only via a third party informing the authorities (and rightly so) that advantage was being taken of the system that this fraud came to light. The chappie was extremely wealthy, he has recently coughed up the medical bill around £30,000..00 I understand. Ordinary people wanting to take a few weeks off work with 'Sick-pay' will also clog up the gears, waiting for various tests and examinations by Doctors to obtain the note! Or claimants from a slip on a teaspoonful of water on a Woolworth's floor will crawl in on their hands and knees to get Doc's recognition of an injury that no X-Ray machine on the planet would pick up. If Doc say's get out of here, your giving me bull ****, he's going to get sued as well, and probably be struck off! Sickening part about it all though is these malingerers, complete with neck collars, and or crutches, (even wheel chairs) all supplied by the NHS will be drinking beer in the local telling everyone how easy it is.

Your father was ahead of his time. In general I know the good well outweigh the bad, so to speak.

Of course Letty, I am "The Jester" himself. Don't ever think different of me. The jester sang for the King & Queen
In a coat he'd borrowed from James Dene.
0 Replies