Pyramid Eye Dollar Bill/Official Religion of USA Government?

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 03:25 pm
Look at the back of a US Dollar Bill.

Look at that eye on the top of the pyramid, radiating light.

Isn't that a fairly bizarre symbol to be on such a conservative instrument such as a dollar bill?

What is the meaning of it? Anyone know?

I've seen some websites on it and stuff, but most of those sites just go off into incredible theories about cults controlling the USA or something.

Anyone have the real scoop on this bizarre Eye?

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a5_022.html

http://www.treas.gov/education/faq/currency/portraits.shtml#q3

Above are 2 accounts, one is the "official" version of the US Treasury.

Again, is all this mention of "God" going against our supposed separation of Church & State?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,977 • Replies: 73
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 03:52 pm
It means your are being watched. Be very careful.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 04:54 pm
Here's how Joseph Campbell explains it in his book, "The Power of Myth."

Campbell: "When you're down on the lower levels of the pyramid, you'll be either on one side or the other.But when you get to the top, the points all come together, and there the eye of God opens."

Moyers: "And to them [the founders of the country] it was the god of reason."

Campbell: "Yes. This was the first nation of the world that was established on the basis of reason rather than instead of simply warfare."

Run to the bookstore or library and pick up a copy of this book; it will open your eyes.
0 Replies

Discreet

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 05:42 pm
heres what i found

http://www.historychannel.com/perl/print_book.pl?ID=210877
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 06:44 pm
Okay, I guess its boring after all.

The Eye is just God watching USA and saying "I like what you are doing" or something like that.

ooo boy.

And we call other countries religious fanatics.

Do they have money with pictures of God's Eye on it saying "I like what you are doing"?

probably
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 07:40 pm
Actually, i think the History Channel are talking out of their collective ass on this one, as is so often the case with that all-too-often unreliable source. I have read, many, many years ago, that the symbol is Masonic in origin. The Masons were very pervasive in American society at the time, and that included a great many of the "founding fathers."

Below is an image of George Washington laying the cornerstone of the Capitol. Note that he is wearing a Masonic ritual apron, and that the pyramid symbol appears on that apron. This image is not that clear, so if i can find more, i will.

http://www.diakrisis.org/images/Washington.jpg
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 07:43 pm
These are all Masonic symbols. The so-called Founding Fathers were almost all Freemasons -- Paul Revere, George Washington, Benjamin Franklin etc. Most US Presidents have also been Masons, with some exceptions. Since the days of FDR, I believe the only non-Mason president was JFK. This has nothing to do with an "official" or unofficial religion. They're just coded signs and passwords between generations of members of the Ancient and Honorable Order.
0 Replies

Discreet

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 07:46 pm
The movie national treasure is all about that. Masons leaving clues on the dollar bill so that someone could discover their treasure. it was a good movie

I thought the pyramid and the eye being related to masons was a myth though...
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 07:47 pm
Dang Setanta,

Now that image looks almost like a cult meeting after all.

I mean, lets forget the fact its Washington and the boys.

Get a group of people dressed up in symbolic garb (symbolic apron even!), have them go to this probably somewhat secret meeting, members of this secret club which only certain people are allowed to join, put them down in a hole and have other members stand around and watch this ritualistic action....

yep, sounds like a cult, smells like a cult, looks like a cult...

Nah....couldn't be....could it?

Can a case be made that the eye on the pyramid, etc. are remnants of cult/secret society symbolism from USA's past?
(putting aside for the moment the separate question of whether this society did or does influence USA today)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 07:50 pm
Here's a link for you to a page that explains the Masonic origin of the symbol. There are also (as i have just discovered) a raft of christian web sites out there which will instruct you (with incredibly bizarre contentions and outright fabrications) in the evil freemasonry/illuminati connections of our founding fathers, and SATANISM on the U.S. currency and in the White House. I have also avoided using a link to any one of the many Masonic web sites who are eager to tell you this story.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 07:52 pm
No one is debarred from entry into the Freemasons. My grandfather, who raised me, was a freemason, so i'll ask you to have a care in your speculations about the nature of an organization about which i'll warrant you know little or nothing--unless you got it from christian anti-masonic propaganda . . .
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 07:59 pm
Setanta wrote:
No one is debarred from entry into the Freemasons. My grandfather, who raised me, was a freemason, so i'll ask you to have a care in your speculations about the nature of an organization about which i'll warrant you know little or nothing--unless you got it from christian anti-masonic propaganda . . .

Okay.

I wonder if there are any objective sources of information out there on the Freemasons?

I mean of course I'm not going to listen to Christian anti-Masonics. Then again, the Freemasons might not be the best objective source either. I wonder where one would go for somewhat objective information on all this?

Perhaps something like an online academic encyclopedia or something like that...or a series of academic sources...to compare notes, etc.
0 Replies

Discreet

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 08:01 pm
hey setanta is anything in National treasure real

Like benjamin franklins special glasses he made to read masonite code and secret passages under historical monuments and secret codes on the back of the constitution?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 08:31 pm
EM, i would suggest that your reference to online encyclopedias (personally, i prefer books which one can hold in one's hand, for the full sensory experience of gaining information), is your best starting point.

Discreet: I know nothing of to what you refer, and suspect i'll like it better that way. The term is Masonic, not masonite, which i believe refers to an artificial building material.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 08:36 pm
For those of you willing to look it up online, you'll get the most information quickly by using "freemasonry" as your search term. If you would like to peruse the christian satanism paranoia sites, then type in: "freemasonry+founding fathers"--you'll get lots and lots of results . . .
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 08:37 pm
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Freemasonry is a worldwide fraternal organization. Its members are joined together by shared ideals of both a moral and metaphysical nature, and, in most of its branches, by a common belief in a Supreme Being. Freemasonry is an esoteric art, in that certain aspects of its internal work are not generally revealed to the public. Masons give numerous reasons for this, one of which is that Freemasonry uses an initiatory system of degrees to explore ethical and philosophical issues, and this system is less effective if the observer knows beforehand what will happen. It often calls itself "a peculiar system of morality veiled in allegory and illustrated by symbols."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 09:19 pm
Okay,Extra Medium. Would you prefer a government that can only see from one point of view, one side of things, or a government that can see all points of view. If you prefer the first, you'll be happy to know that we have that government now. The ideal is the second, and it has nothing to do with believing in god; it has to do with a mature mind that is capable of reason.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 09:31 pm
coluber2001 wrote:
Okay,Extra Medium. Would you prefer a government that can only see from one point of view, one side of things, or a government that can see all points of view. If you prefer the first, you'll be happy to know that we have that government now. The ideal is the second, and it has nothing to do with believing in god; it has to do with a mature mind that is capable of reason.

hmmm....

Did I write something that indicated I'd "be happy to know" that we have a government that can see things from only one point of view?
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 09:52 pm
The Freemasons are just an old boys club. They like to present this great veil of secrecy so that the members get to feel "special" just like any old boys club. They don't want people knowing what the initiation rites are before they have to go through them, it spoils the fun. (Small hint, think blindfolds and nooses...) They have a pyramid marketing structure where you pay dues each month and those funds are split up amongst the higher ups. The greatest use they offer to members is just as a group of contacts. If you are a mason and need a plumber, ask at the lodge and another member who happens to be a plumber will give you mates rates. That's pretty much all there is to it once you get past the pseudospiritual crap.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 10:31 pm
extra medium wrote:
Okay, I guess its boring after all.

The Eye is just God watching USA and saying "I like what you are doing" or something like that.

ooo boy.

And we call other countries religious fanatics.

Do they have money with pictures of God's Eye on it saying "I like what you are doing"?

probably

If you're thirteen, this would be an appropriate interpretation of the eternal eye: "god is watching the country." If you're older than that you need to learn that this symbol is deeper than that.

extra medium wrote:
coluber2001 wrote:

hmmm....

Did I write something that indicated I'd "be happy to know" that we have a government that can see things from only one point of view?

On my first post I indicated that the pyramid symbol's base represents four different points of view, only one of which can be seen at a time. The top represents the ability to see all points of view. This symbol has nothing to do with belief in god or a material god watching over us; it has to do with an enlightened mind atop, or underneath, the temporal intellect and ego.
0 Replies