Good sources for Mexican history, cultural history, and art?

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 06:58 am
Charli, the title of Prescott's book is The Conquest of Mexico. It's a classic and undoubtedly still in print. For a scholarly look at Aztec society, I recommend Goerge Vaillant's The Aztecs of Mexico, Penguin paperbacks.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 07:10 am
CD
A recent, and contraversial Corrido written, and sang by Los Tigres Del Norte is "Las Mujeres De Juarez" The Women of Juarez. In memory of the many women that have been killed, and continue to be killed in Juarez. The CD is called "Pacto De Sangre" Pact of Blood.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 07:40 am
From the book "With His Pistol in His Hand". A border ballad and its hero by Americo Paredes. The legend and the life of Gregorio Cortez.

I will write a few stanzas in Spanish and in English, its very long.

Como decimos, así es,
en mil novecientos uno,
el día veintidós de junio
fue capturado Cortés.

As we say, so it is;
In nineteen hundred and one
On the twenty-second of June
Cortez was captured.

En junio día veintidós
por telégrafo supieron
que a Cortés lo aprehendieron
entre el Sauz y Palafox.

In June, on the twenty-second
By telegraph it was known
That Cortez had been apprehended
Between El Sauz and Palafox.

Se aprehendió en Campo de Oveja,
de don Abraham de la Garza,
él perdió toda esperanza,
ya en la frontera de Texas.

He was captured in Sheep Camp,
Of Don Abraham de la Garza,
He lost all hope
When he was already on the Texas border.

Que viva nuestra nación,
aunque sufriendo revés,
Viva, Gregorio Cortés,
que ha honrado su pabellón.

Long live our country
Although suffering setback,
Long live Gregorio Cortez,
Who has honored his flag.

The Corrido then continues to sing the story of how it all began, and how it ended. The book has different versions of the story in the Corrido style. They are not too different, from the original story. In the english translations you loose the rhythm and rhyme. The old corridos are long, twenty or more stanzas, and the modern corridos are shorter.

AE
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 10:16 am
Mexican Food
Prospero, I tried to cover many of the things you saw in the movie. Like the Adelitas that Diego portrait in some of his murals, and some other things too. I hope this helps.

Here are two links on Mexican Food.

http://www.cowboy.com/search.php?Terms=Quick+and+Easy+Mexican+recipes&Submit.x=23&Submit.y=15&cb=

Quick and Easy Mexican recipes
http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,quick_easy_mexican,FF.html
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 08:18 pm
Prescott - plus The Plains of Nazca
First, here's a website about Prescott's book, "The History of the Conquest of Mexico." I read it a few years ago in college - excellent.

http://www.randomhouse.com/modernlibrary/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780679641766

And, another site about "The Plains of Nazca (Nasca)," Peru.

http://www.peru-explorer.com/nasca.htm

We were there and took the flight over the area - also, we have a number of pictures. However, I believe that we were still taking slides at that time. Yes, I can put them through the various steps on this computer and printer. Then, onto "Charli's Place" for download here. I just may do that some time, but not now. Incidentally, the Mexico bank and and least one other photo on "Charli's Place" are slides. I'd have to check it out to be able to tell you which one(s). Tonight, I want to go put that new mp3 file up on "Here's to You."
[/color]
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 08:46 pm
"Charli's Place" Photos
Gloriosky! I just took a look at the "MSN" site. All of the photos on "Charli's Place" from Scotland are on disc. They were taken with a Canon Digital Camera. The others from Peru are probably slides; Mexico? We've made so many trips to Mexico, besides living there, and always seem to be carrying different photographic equipment. At this point, I wouldn't swear to anything. The stuff is all stored somewhere here. [/color]
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 12:12 am
Thank you Charli.
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 06:56 am
Music's Up!
Music's up! Not the piece that was there before - Los Lobos' "La Mona del Colorado" - but a "Spanish one" anyway. Enjoy![/color]
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 08:22 am
Fernando's Hideaway? *giggles* I almost got up to dance. Ole!
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 08:19 pm
Prospero - Here is a posting on another A2K thread about Kahlo. Interesting article!

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=49021
[/color]
0 Replies

Prospero

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 06:11 am
Goodness, thank you everyone!

I hope to be able to spend some time here again and research these sites you have all given me.
0 Replies