2020 Republican candidate(s)

Brand X

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2019 02:41 pm
So Bill Weld is official. I liked him in 2016 when he was running with nutty Gary Johnson. They would have gotten twice as far if Bill had been the front man IMO. He may not get far this time but I think he'll speak direct to Trump.

I'd have more respect for him if he was running as a Dem since the R's have bent the knee to Trump.

'"I want a direct shot at the man who, I think, wishes our country ill," Weld said on @MSNBC. "The best way to get a direct shot is to run against him in his own party."

https://www.axios.com/bill-weld-2020-presidential-election-factsheet-cd559718-9bf8-49e0-916a-e1e20c12be96.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 2,371 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2019 03:18 pm
@Brand X,
He should have run again as a Libertarian, he would have a much better shot, he won't do anything against Trump but lose money.
engineer

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2019 03:30 pm
@Baldimo,
Agreed, this is tilting at windmills. Weld's brand of Northeastern Republicanism is all but dead. He represents the same demographic that Howard Schultz thinks is out there, but it's all but gone from US politics.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2019 06:08 am
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

He should have run again as a Libertarian, he would have a much better shot, he won't do anything against Trump but lose money.

Better shot? At winning the presidency? Or better shot at gaining the Libertarian nomination? He clearly didn't get the Libertarian nomination last round ... and won't get it this time. And yeah... even if he does get the nomination? He has even less a chance of becoming president at that point.

Not saying he has a snowball's chance of surviving a Tsar Bomba blast of getting the Republican nomination ... barring a Trump impeachment but... at least he can help to change the party platform come official primary season starts.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2019 06:10 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Agreed, this is tilting at windmills.

It's certainly going to be ... somewhat more enjoyable to watch than if he ran for the Libertarian nomination.
engineer

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2019 06:17 am
@tsarstepan,
I think it's going to be like watching a train wreck in slow motion. I like Weld, I think he got shafted by Jesse Helms, but it's going to be a brutal comeuppance when he gets crushed in the first Republican primaries. I doubt he'll even make a good showing in New Hampshire which is pretty much his only hope in the early states. There are probably a few socially progressive, economically conservative Republicans out there still, but not enough to put a dent in the Trump machine.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2019 06:31 am
@engineer,
Well, I'm not a fan of my former Massachusetts governor. Never voted for him when I lived in the Bay State. And he has very little chance to change the party platform. It's nice to see him make an attempt to bring a social moderate appeal to the alleged social moderates in the party who both are allegedly socially moderate/progressive yet manage to fetishize, slavishly follow, and do nothing as Trump poisons their party to the core.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2019 02:33 am
Beto’s out, Harris seems mortally wounded, Biden’s sinking, and how much longer can the 5-1 percenters hang on?

The world is locked in massive anti-neoliberal protests. Bernie is considered the anti-neoliberal status quo candidate.

Interesting times.
Brand X

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2019 01:24 pm
Mark Sanford suspends campaign.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2019 04:54 pm
Oddly expecting another billionaire to swoop in and maybe somebody else trying to ride in Obama’s coattails.

Sheesh.

Oh. And the guy from Massachusetts.

All this to prevent the people-centric changes Bernie Sanders vows to make for us.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2019 06:55 am
@Lash,
Isn't this thread supposed to be about Republican candidates?
hightor

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2019 08:18 am
@izzythepush,
Oh, didn't you hear? Anyone who isn't supporting Sanders is a Republican.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2019 08:30 am
@hightor,
That must be the case otherwise all we'd have is someone claiming to be left wing who spends all their time attacking other leftwingers while making excuses for the right.
Lash

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2019 05:37 pm
@izzythepush,
There’s only 1 left winger in this country, and I haven’t attacked him.

I send him money, phone bank for him, and attend his local rallies.

And, I’m going to party like nobody’s business at his inauguration.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2019 07:11 pm
@Lash,
If Mr Sanders becomes president you'll be slagging him off for selling out before his first year is over.
Lash

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2019 07:13 pm
@izzythepush,
I’ll be so happy to test that theory.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2019 07:16 pm
@Lash,
Over here Johnson put the wreath at the cenotaph upside down, but the BBC showed footage from 2016 where he put it the right way up. They then repeated criticism of Corbyn for bowing too long.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2019 01:45 pm
Gov. Bill Weld

Verified account

@GovBillWeld
Dec 2
More
Apparently @realDonaldTrump’s bromance with Putin extends to emulating the Russian’s approach to elections. The #GAGOP just decided the Georgia Republican Presidential Primary ballot will have only one candidate on it: Donald Trump. What is DJT afraid of?
0 Replies