problems with philosophy of science and reason in general notwithstanding

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2019 12:27 am
Would "generally" be better than "in general" here?

Context:

He aims to carve a third path between secularists who say morality is subjective (e.g. moral relativists), and religionists who say that morality is given by God and scripture. Harris contends that the only moral framework worth talking about is one where "morally good" things pertain to increases in the "well-being of conscious creatures". He then argues that, problems with philosophy of science and reason in general notwithstanding, 'moral questions' will have objectively right and wrong answers which are grounded in empirical facts about what causes people to flourish.

Source

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Jewels Vern

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2019 03:48 pm
not·with·stand·ing
/ˌnätwiTHˈstandiNG,ˌnätwiT͟HˈstandiNG/
preposition
in spite of.
"notwithstanding the evidence, the consensus is that the jury will not reach a verdict"
synonyms: in spite of, despite, regardless of, for all
"notwithstanding the evidence, the consensus is that the jury will not reach a verdict"
adverb
nevertheless; in spite of this.
"I didn't like it. Notwithstanding, I remained calm"
synonyms: nevertheless, nonetheless, even so, all the same, in spite of this/that, despite this/that, after everything, however, still, yet, be that as it may, having said that, that said, for all that, just the same, anyway, in any event, at any rate, at all events, when all is said and done; More
conjunction
although; in spite of the fact that.
"notwithstanding that the hall was packed with bullies, our champion played on steadily and patiently"
synonyms: although, in spite of the fact that, despite the fact that, even though, though, for all that
"notwithstanding that Sir Henry had sold much land, his debts were still on the increase"
~ google

Let's rewrite this. "In spite of [problems with philosophy of science] and [reason in general], 'moral questions' will have objectively right and wrong answers."

Replacing the goofy words with more familiar words and marking off the clauses, we see that the sentence is gramatically correct as it stands. This is the strong feature of philosophy: replacing easily understood words with unfamiliar words, and then combining unfamiliar words with esoteric concepts and goofy names, they manage to fill pages without ever saying anything of substance.

In this case the fallacy is a misused word: "moral". When two or more people live in the same area they have to adopt some rules about who does what to whom. Any such rule is called a more', French accented e pronounced "mor-ay". The adjective form is moral, and the habit of following more's is morality. More's are arbitrary: they do not have to be right, only accepted. Another group on the other side of the river might have very different more's. So this author's reference to "objectively right and wrong answers" is simply a mistake. He has not adequately studied his subject.
0 Replies

InfraBlue
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2019 09:39 pm
@oristarA,
They're synonymous; either is acceptable.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2019 03:04 pm
generally notwithstanding, ...

Science and reason in general notwithstanding,

These do not have the same meaning.

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2019 12:14 am
"Problems with philosophy of science and reason generally notwithstanding", and "problems with philosophy of science and reason in general notwithstanding" do have the same meaning, however.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2019 12:15 am
@PUNKEY,
In that case you shouldn't have any difficulty detailing the different meanings.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2019 06:45 pm
In this introductory phrase ...
generally notwithstanding: “generally” is an adverb that describes “how much” is the level of notwithstanding, much like if totally or somewhat was used.

Science and reason in general: “in general” is an adjective that describes science and reason, as opposed to specifically or sometimes.
TheSubliminalKid

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2019 03:40 am
@PUNKEY,
"In general" in this context would count as an adverbial phrase, so the meaning is interchangeable.

https://linguistics.stackexchange.com/questions/21177/is-the-adverbial-phrase-and-adverb-phrase-identical/21178
PUNKEY

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2019 01:52 pm
@TheSubliminalKid,
Here’s a simplified way to show my view. Note the difference:

Problems in general notwithstanding, he made it to class every day.

Problems with his car in general notwithstanding, he made it to class everyday.
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2019 02:18 pm
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

Here’s a simplified way to show my view. Note the difference:

Problems in general notwithstanding, he made it to class every day.

Problems with his car in general notwithstanding, he made it to class everyday.

Those are two different sentences. Within the context of oristarA's sentence, "in general" and "generally" convey the same meaning and are interchangeable.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2019 03:22 pm
@PUNKEY,
Two replies later you still can't say what the difference is in meaning. You can't say it because there is none. You say different terms describe different things but you've no idea what that difference is, because there is none.

Then you change the subject with another pair of sentences that add absolutely nothing.

Let me simplify it for you. You're wrong, you're sounding increasingly absurd.
0 Replies