FOR LIGHTWIZARD----YOU REALLY GONNA SEE HITCH HIKERS GUIDE?

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 05:01 pm
(April 26) Ebert sez it sucks, and youd only like it if youre someone who actually liked the books. Boy, I dont think Im gonna go now. I was gonna wear my ARthur Dent Tee shirt and have my son dress up as Xaphoz Beeblebrox.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,794 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 05:16 pm
I was unaware they had done a movie. They made a really lame attempt at it for television--Zaphod was so badly done, with this really pathetic fake head hanging off to one side of the actor's neck . . . i just never saw as good movie material, most of the humor arises from how its written.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 05:24 pm
exactly.Although I kinda liked the radio adaptation. The trailers have been quietly playing on the Comedy Channel .
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 05:27 pm
I loved the books.

The mostly harmless reviews have convinced me to see it. I am afraid I am going to be disappointed so I am going in with as low expectations as I can muster.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 05:50 pm
well, 42
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 05:51 pm
well, 42
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 05:51 pm
well, 42
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 07:41 pm
Never was and probably never will be convinced that the books are filmable. You know they would aim it a teenage audience to sell the movie so it leaves real fans out-to-sea. Hasn't any filmmaker learned anything from Peter Jackson?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 07:57 pm
Mostly harmless! Heh.

NYT review was close to a rave.

How do they do Zaphod's two heads? Is it that he's got a face on the back of his head? (Ebert said something about "two-faced.)

Marvin looks awesome. I cracked up just looking at him. Voiced by Alan Rickman!!!

I really really want to see this one.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 08:25 pm
I am going.

Alan Rickman is PERFECT for Marvin.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 08:28 pm
Isn't he just totally perfect?!

Yahoo had something about it and I went through lots of pictures, reviews etc. earlier today and got really excited about it. I'd been kind of hmmm and skeptical but it's looking good!

Anyone actually seen it yet?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 08:29 pm
Oh, to hear Alan Rickman say, "Life... Don't talk to me about life..." It'll be showing with rear-view captions, though (at least it BETTER -- it's showing in other cities, hasn't made it to Columbus yet), so I'll be able to imagine...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 11:27 am
Very mixed reviews with a Rotten Tomatoe guage of 57% favorable among the cream-of-the-crop reviewers. It's proceed to the cineplex at your own risk -- is it Hitchhiker's Guide or a rip-off of Monty Python? The satire could be lost in a lot of lampoon bafoonery.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 03:08 pm
farmerman wrote:
exactly.Although I kinda liked the radio adaptation. The trailers have been quietly playing on the Comedy Channel .

actually the radio plays came first

i'm enough of a fan i'll probably buy the dvd when it comes out, but i doubt i'll see it before then
0 Replies

thiefoflight

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 05:35 pm
It was O.K. I wasn't expecting much but I had a better time than I thought I would. It didn't seem to be aimed at teens. You would have to have read the books to figure out what was going on. I'd like to hear from someone who went without knowing the story.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 05:39 pm
Thats what Eberts review was about. He felt that , without knowing anything about HGTTG, youd sit there wondering, whats all this now?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 06:39 pm
I don't care. Why sit through a bunch of exposition if you DO know what's going on?

Eh, we'll see what I think once I've seen it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 08:33 am
It would only have to be an attempt to draw the teenage cineplex audience to wreck the story and if the esoteric humor was lost without reading the books or every having listened to the radio series, that's not a plus. The R2-D2 clone was enough to point in the direction that this was not strictly made for the fans of the series. The proof of the pudding is if it can draw the worldwide audience of fans of the books and radio show. It's one thing if a film gets initially lukewarm review response and another when it also doesn't make it at the box office. Sounds strangely familiar -- like the basically failed adaptation of "Dune." The musical score and Sting were just two elements designed to bring in a generally younger audience who mostly didn't understand the film in the final assessment.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 02:52 pm
was that the one made for tv on the si Fi channel?.That thing was, to me, unwatchable.
PS, I hereby turn over the keys to this thread to you , since I only started it thinking you were out of the countryor in jail.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 02:57 pm
Thanks for the review, thiefoflight. Always good to hear from someone who's seen the film under discussion.
0 Replies