Munch's "The Scream" destroyed?

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 09:21 pm
Munch masterpieces destroyed?
Quote:
The Munch masterpieces "The Scream" and "Madonna" have been incinerated, according to newspaper Dagbladet, citing criminal sources and a top secret police report.

The paper claimed Thursday that the paintings were destroyed in order to get rid of damning evidence as the police investigation closes in on the culprits behind the robbery.

Sad. Everything goes sooner or later ... but still.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,321 • Replies: 22
No top replies

littlek

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 09:31 pm
oh my god! what a cold chill I just got. Who the hell would do such a thing!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 09:31 pm
How tragic if true. The Buddhists are correct- all in this world is temporary.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 04:45 am
Not guilty! True, I started a thread about not liking The Scream, but even I would not do such a thing.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 05:45 am
How stupid. And how depressing. <sigh>
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 05:51 am
I cant believe it!!!Is that official?

What s****!!
Shows how stupid and scared criminals are.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 07:12 am
Aren't there several versions of The Scream?

Of course, they are all irreplacable, but the total concept hasn't vanished.

The perps should be given a long, long term with three hots and a cot and a chance to contemplate aesthetic values.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 07:25 am
Im not aware of different Scream versions.

I reckon they should have an eye ripped out, partly punishment and partly so they can see when someones about to spit on them.How dare they burn it!!!!
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 03:15 pm
There are conflicting stories at this point -- they may be destroyed, or maybe not.
It was originally reported by a tabloid, so we'll have to wait and see.

Stolen paintings not destroyed
Quote:
"The Oslo police have no knowledge of that," Iver Stensrud, the police chief leading the investigation since gunmen stole the iconic 1893 painting from an Oslo gallery in August 2004, told Norway's NRK public radio.
Munch painted four versions of his most famous work - another was stolen for several months in 1994.

It was unclear who would steal the works by the Norwegian artist, who lived 1863-1944, since they are too well known to be sold legally.

One Norwegian art expert reckoned "The Scream" could fetch $75 million at a legal auction, "Madonna" $15 million. "Madonna" shows a mysterious bare-breasted woman with sweeping black hair.

Demand 700 million in Munch compensation
Quote:
The City of Oslo has demanded NOK 700 million (USD 111 million) in compensation if the Munch masterpieces "The Scream" and "Madonna" are not recovered.

The City warned that this demand would be leveled against those eventually convicted of the theft of the paintings

Famous paintings 'destroyed'
Quote:
Experts fear that The Scream, which was painted on cardboard, may have suffered extensive damage when the thieves ripped it off the museum wall. Remains of the frame were found later.
0 Replies

zincwhite

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 12:20 pm
Cardboard?? what kind of cardboard did they have in 1893?
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 03:39 pm
That is a sad bad news indeed. Will like to know why did they stole it if they can't appreciate it. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 04:59 pm
Oh my God! Now that I've stopped screaming, let me just say that The Madonna is one of the most erotic paintings I've ever seen. I'll never forgive that loss.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 08:28 pm
It is my understanding that it has not been confirmed that the paintings were destroyed. Some people have been arrested, but the whereabouts and conditions of the paintings are still unknown.

Only one newpaper reported the destruction and said it was based on secret information.

Anyone hear different?
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 03:03 am
The theft from the Gardener Art Gallery in Boston in 1990 netted $300 million art treasures (at todays valuation) and the FBI are still hopeful of them being returned (I cant imagine why they would be still hopeful) So perhaps there is still a chance.
0 Replies

Jonsey

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 11:37 am
why would anyone want to destroy the scream. Wouldn't you make far more profit if you sold the painting to an avid art collector? what would be the purpose in destroying it?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 03:00 pm
Consider the strategy of destroying incriminating evidence.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 03:22 pm
The perpetrators demonstrated their selfishness by stealing the paintings in the first place, and demonstrated it again by destroying part of the world's cultural heritage to save their hides.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 03:26 pm
Yes, illegally, but in the spirit of unbridled capitalism.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 06:16 pm
I miss CodeBorg.....
0 Replies

Jonsey

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 02:56 pm
i guess that makes sense...or they just wanted to prove that they could do it and then got rid of it. Although it would seem silly to go through all than and not get paid!
0 Replies