A choice or a curse?

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 08:49 pm
Recently my school had a day of silence.....Where a group of students walked around for an entire day without speaking. It was to supporting homosexuality. I don't know what silence is gonna get them but they chose to do it. And on the backk of their shirts it says WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO ABOUT IT?

This ticked me off cause to me it inovokes anger in people that are against homosexuality. I think homosexuality is wrong but i can still talk to a person that is gay, I just don't like it when they flaunt being gay and get in my way.

I am always swaying on which side i stand on in the gay issue whether or not people are born gay or choose to be gay.

I think that being gay is a depressing lifestyle so i cannot see why anyone would want to choose this.

This may be really unfactual but i always thought of it this way. You can be born with genes that make you more aggressive and make your statistics of being a murderer higher but you can still choose not to kill someone.

With homosexuality i think people are born often times with hormonal unbalances or something that makes them like the same sex. I used to think it was the people that couldn't get with the other sex but recently i have seen studs that got all the girls come out of the closet. They say that girls were fun but it was emotionally unfullfilling. Being with a guy felt more comfortable and they could relate to him better. I think that homosexuality lowers social standards and if it is commonly accepted i think society suffers. What is your opinion?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,009 • Replies: 138
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 08:53 pm
So far, you appear to be on the wrong side of every issue. I'm not for certain about this, because I don't read every thread you start.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 09:01 pm
Heh!

As several of us have said, though, it's kinda refreshing to step out of the usual politesse and say "what the HECK are you talking about, kid??!"

Especially since said kid seems at least somewhat willing to learn from the discussion -- that part is cool.

So anyway, to start with, I don't think it's either/or, Discreet. Have you heard of the Kinsey scale?

0 - exclusively heterosexual

1 - predominantly heterosexual, incidentally homoexual

2 - predominantly heterosexual, but more than incidentally homosexual

3 - equally heterosexual and homosexual

4 - predominantly homosexual, but more than incidentally heterosexual

5 - predominantly homosexual, incidentally heterosexual

6 - exclusively homosexual

So 1-6's can, in the right circumstances, choose to be homosexual (if that's not how they already identify), and 0-5's can, in the right circumstances, choose to be heterosexual (if that's not how they already identify -- much more likely that homosexual people will try to pass as heterosexual than vice versa because of continuing societal pressures.)
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 09:02 pm
Homosexuals are born that way. If you don't think so just ask yourself when did you make a decision about what sex you were attracted to. Did you ever say to yourself "hey that guy in my gym class is really hot, but I think I would prefer to date a girl to keep with the accepted program." Odds are you never had this thought if you are straight. You just started checking out the girls at some point and never had hot sexual thoughts about the guys. If you are gay you just start by being attracted to the same sex as yourself. You might try and fight it because society tells you differently, but resistance if futile. You can't make a straight person gay or gay person straight.

I don't understand why you think it lowers societies standards. Did Leonardo Da Vinci lower the standards of art by being gay? Was Truman Capote a lesser writer for being gay? Some of the greatest social and artistic contributions have been made by gays, check your history.
0 Replies

Discreet

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 09:17 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
So far, you appear to be on the wrong side of every issue. I'm not for certain about this, because I don't read every thread you start.

I guess you read my one thread on slavery....An made a general assumption ill admit i went out on a limb bringing up an idea i hadn't researched or had any facts on just ideas....But that thread has taught me a lot about slavery and i think its good to question things in order to gain a better understanding. So that you know what arguments to say when someone else has the same incorrect theory that i had of "slavery benefiting slaves"
0 Replies

Discreet

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 09:22 pm
No but i did a project on Pompeii and found that they had a very "wild" society in which homosexuailty was socially accpeted and the city just seemed to be a cess pool.

If homosexuality was accepted do you think it would lead to more innocent young boys being raped. I guess you have young girls being raped by sleezy old guys so it can go both ways. But obviously it is supposed to be Mom and Dad not Tom and Brad. Humans would be unable to reproduce obviously if everyone was gay. Does anyone know the psychological affects on children that have gay parents?

Also do you think society dictates being gay. Homosexuality can be dated way back so it seems that even if it is not accepted people still have an interest in it and explore it
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 09:24 pm
Quote:
If homosexuality was accepted do you think it would lead to more innocent young boys being raped.

What the HECK are you talking about, kid???!

I gotta get to bed, will get back to this one, though I have a feeling many, many others will have gotten to it by the time I return.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 09:27 pm
Discreet wrote:

If homosexuality was accepted do you think it would lead to more innocent young boys being raped. I guess you have young girls being raped by sleezy old guys so it can go both ways.

You are confusing homosexuality with pedophilia. If you say homosexual men want to have sex with 8 year old boys, you are also saying heterosexual men want to have sex with 8 year old girls. Wanting sex with a child is not the same as being attracted to an adult of the same sex.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 09:53 pm
Green Witch wrote:

I don't understand why you think it lowers societies standards. Did Leonardo Da Vinci lower the standards of art by being gay? Was Truman Capote a lesser writer for being gay? Some of the greatest social and artistic contributions have been made by gays, check your history.

especially coming from someone who jokes about sodomizing his girlfriend on another thread (small talk)
Discreet wrote:
will it open my girlfriends tight ass? Cause KY isn't working....
0 Replies

Discreet

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 09:55 pm
lol yeah i had an idea on this topic but i can't explain it. Ill keep it simple so i can think about it.

Do you think that if homosexuality became commonly accepted social standards would be lowered?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 10:02 pm
Simple: No.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 10:10 pm
Quote:
I think that being gay is a depressing lifestyle so i cannot see why anyone would want to choose this.

THey can't help themselves Discreet, they're born that way,
and their lifestyle seems depressing because of people
like you who discriminate against them.

Quote:
If homosexuality was accepted do you think it would lead to more innocent young boys being raped.

Being homosexual has nothing to do with pedophilia. Pedophiles are sick sex offenders whose only goal is to
satisfy their sick abnormalties with children, regardless of their gender.

Homosexuals merely have a preference for the same sex,
and social standards in general are not lowered based on
sexual preference.
0 Replies

Discreet

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 10:24 pm
Ok so what dictates someone murdering someone else from being different then one men loving another man. My only answer is society. So if society finds homosexuality ok how many other things can be justified. Maybe we could say "Murderers can'te hlep themselves, they are born that way, and their lifestlye seems drepressing because of people like you who discriminate against them."

Society one deemed homosexuality as wrong but that is slowyly changing. How mnay other things will soon be changed. In the future will i be able to justify a murderer by saying he was born a murderer or that he had a bad upbringing. I hope not
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 10:30 pm
Murder is a choice, sexual orientation is not.

So Discreet, who was the first man that turned you on? It must have happened at least once if you had to make the choice not to be gay.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 10:36 pm
You know Discreet, sexual preference and murder are two
entirely different subjects, they have no correlation whatsoever, and therfore cannot be answered in this form.

No murderer is born as a murder, he might have become a
murderer due to circumstancial background reason, but in the end, it is a choice he's made, a choice to take someone's life.

Homosexuals have no choice as to their sexual preference,
besides that, they don't harm other individuals or society
per se, they just want to have a right to live their lives in a
manner that thus far, has been reserved to heterosexuals only. Nothing wrong with that.
0 Replies

Discreet

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 10:37 pm
Green Witch wrote:
Murder is a choice, sexual orientation is not.

Personal opinion with no validity. I could argue just as much that people choose to be gay. It is just your personal opinion.

Maybe someone just like you in 200 years will be saying

Stealing is a choice, but murder is not. You never know how society will change certain long held beliefs. History did a pretty good special on homosexuality through the ages. One big point they brought up was homosexuality in egytption culture. It seemed that some pharohs were brought boys to fullfill their sexual urges because a young boy was pure and worthy of the pharoh and society accepted this. That may sound wrong to you or me but there is someone out there who would argue raping small boys is ok. Hopefully they are in prison but you never know their opinion could spread and become the majority opinion. So before you sway so easy and accecpt homosexuality maybe you should research the depressive lifestyle of homosexuality. There could be a reason why they have one of the highest suicide rates. They may realize what they are doing is wrong and hate themselves for that and society in religion at least doesn't help these people. I think people should embrace homosexuality as a bad lifestyle choice like drinking alcohal and help them get sober and straight. Just my opinion
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 10:47 pm
Ei, ei, ei, Discreet, maybe you want to check, how old
the Egyptian pharaos were in those times. Many
a pharao weren't older than fourteen and people in general didn't get past 20 to 25 years old. You cannot compare
ancient history to our millenium. Your comparison between
homosexuality and society is so far fetched that one hardly
can respond in a rational manner.
0 Replies

Discreet

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 10:51 pm
I am merely commenting on how long standing social values/views can be changed. Even some churches are embracing homosexuality. Something that the bible has always stated is wrong. Don't take it offensive but just think about how many times society changes its views on a certain issue sometimes for better sometimes for worse. Luckilly we realized slavery was wrong Laughing and because of that people have equal rights today. So maybe legalizing gay marriage will make people happier. Or maybe it will lead to the evaporation of social morals. Only time can tell.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 10:57 pm
You're right, in the end, only time will tell. But why not let
homosexuals get married? Let them feel the joy (and pitfalls)
of marriage, let them benefit from legally protected unions
while they're "married". What do we have to lose, if we
allow them the same rights as heterosexuals have?

Nothing at all!

Yes, slavery is wrong, regardless of color or race.
0 Replies

tcis

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 11:04 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
You're right, in the end, only time will tell. But why not let
homosexuals get married? Let them feel the joy (and pitfalls)
of marriage, let them benefit from legally protected unions
while they're "married". What do we have to lose, if we
allow them the same rights as heterosexuals have?

Nothing at all!

Yes, slavery is wrong, regardless of color or race.

Thats right: Let them be miserable like the rest of us!

btw, is that avatar photo actually you? You just took away all my homosexual tendencies. You are cute! Embarrassed Rolling Eyes Very Happy
0 Replies