Our world of politics has gone bonkers

roger

Reply Tue 2 Apr, 2019 10:47 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

It's only silly to you because you're not a target of unwanted behavior.

Eh? Could be. I don't like strangers putting their hands on me, either. I'm inclined to think it's because they think old people need human contact, like an arm squeeze or a friendly hug. Sometimes, they pick up on the idea from body language. Sometimes, I have to express myself verbally. I don't hesitate to tell them.

If you haven't picked up on it, I'm a guy.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2019 12:36 am
@roger,
I know you're a guy, hubba hubba, roger.....Sorry ol pal it's late and I'm getting punchy. Got my puppy home after she ate most of the chocolate I bought for our grand daughters easter basket.....puppy's ok but it was close to a disaster......now I can't sleep sooooooooooo I thought I'd annoy you. Happy Easter
izzythepush

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2019 12:41 am
@cicerone imposter,
Child marriage is legal in the US.

Quote:
Child marriage in the United States refers to a marriage in the United States where at least one party is under the age of 18.

Between 2000 and 2015, over 200,000 minors were legally married in the United States. The vast majority of child marriages were between a child and an adult. The majority of married children were girls.

In the United States, marriage age laws are set by the various states, territories and federal district. As of January 2019, 48 out of 50 states have exceptions in their laws which allow children to marry in certain circumstances such as parental consent, judicial consent, pregnancy etc (In 2018, Delaware and New Jersey completely banned child marriage). Of those 48 states, 17 have no minimum age for children to marry. The federal district and territories all have similar legal exceptions which allow children to marry, except for American Samoa.

From 2016-2019, 12 states raised their minimum age for minors to marry, or added a minimum age when they previously did not have one.

In many cases, minors in the US are married when they are under the age of sexual consent in their area (which ranges from 16 to 18). In some areas minors cannot legally divorce, leave their spouse, or enter a shelter to escape abuse. In 2001 in Tennessee, three 10-year-old girls were married to men aged 24-31. Meanwhile in Alabama, a 74-year-old man married a 14-year-old girl. Both states have since set minimum ages, of 17 and 16 respectively.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_marriage_in_the_United_States
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2019 01:54 am
@maxdancona,
The hypocritical whitewashes are coming from women with political agendas.
Lash

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2019 01:57 am
@maxdancona,
Showing affection is for people you know, who you have some type of relationship with that has established they welcome affection—-not rank strangers.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2019 02:14 am
@glitterbag,
Puppy? What kind how old, and stuff like that.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2019 03:47 am
@Lash,
Doesn't everyone in politics have a political agenda?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2019 07:08 am
I think this is supposed to be a discussion about how both sides of USian politics are bonkers. So far, we are just focusing on the hysteria on the American left. The same things happen on the right.

In 2020 the voters will judge which side is further off the deep end. In 2016 the Democrats won (i.e. the people in the middle decided they were more intolerably extreme).

It is still up in the air of Democrats can pull this off next year. Smearing Joe Biden for hugging "too long" is a step in that direction.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2019 07:15 am
@maxdancona,
Putting his hand on the thigh of a distraught sex assault victim is hardly hugging or touching hair.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2019 08:26 am
@edgarblythe,
You are being silly, Edgar. But the real issue here is the extremism of the left (not to say there isn't equivalent extremism on the right).

The left thrives on outrage. They will frame everything in the most ridiculous terms to score ideological or political points. The problem is that although this excites the far left, it drives away normal voters who would otherwise vote for Democratic candidates.

The ideological left lost Whoopie Goldberg with these silly attacks on Joe Biden. That should tell you something. You are not winning this argument with people who look at this rationally rather than as part of an ideological narrative.

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2019 09:33 am
@maxdancona,
I don't know what you are, but you thrive on bending straight lines into pretzels so you can toss around words like hysterical left. Never an honest discussion, but plenty of buzz words.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2019 09:56 am
@edgarblythe,
Back in the 80s/90s the Conservatives used the phrase "Loony left."

I know v little about Joe Biden, the first time I heard of him was when Stephen Colbert said that even Joe Biden had more votes than him in the Democratic nominations way back when Dubya was president. Then he became VP under Obama.

That's about it. As far as I know he's not even confirmed he'll be running, it's a will he, won't he scenario. Trump has isolated a lot of women with his rampant sexism, and the last thing his opponent needs is more of the same. It's not like the Democrats are short of candidates, I think there's something like fifteen or so in the running.

The Democrats need someone in stark contrast to Trump, not someone mired in similar accusations.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2019 10:00 am
@izzythepush,
In a sense, I am piling on. He's not going anywhere. I just get peeved when people give their favored people a pass for doing what they condemn others for.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2019 10:34 am
@edgarblythe,
Sometimes it's hard to accept that in people you admire, just look at mental gymnastics Michael Jackson fans are going through.

Like I said I know v little about Biden, but I don't think he's right. It's not only the allegations, even if unfounded they'll still follow him, it's his age. Two old blokes facing off, no contrast at all.

Whoever faces Trump needs to be very different, and speak to a different audience.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2019 10:43 am
@izzythepush,
Biden has far too much baggage. I don't worry about age. I just know that if one like him wins we will continue to surrender our democracy to the far right. The next president can't settle for the status quo, because that entity consistently shifts further right. The next president has to stand up to all the **** and declare Enough! And try to get the nation to demand it, without equivocation.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2019 10:58 am
@edgarblythe,
The Conservative Edgarblythe (explaining her vote for Trump in 2016) wrote:

I just know that if one like her wins we will continue to surrender our democracy to the far left. The next president can't settle for the status quo, because that entity consistently shifts further left. The next president has to stand up to all the **** and declare Enough! And try to get the nation to demand it, without equivocation.

This is silly. The ideological true believers of both sides yelling at the people in the middle. The nation doesn't want you to demand anything without equivocation. Joe Biden is being attacked by the ideological extreme of the party because he represents something other than than this this little partisan war.

This is the reason the country is so divided, you are more interested in the ideological battles than in coming up with rational solutions to the issues that can be accepted by most of America.

Olivier5

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2019 10:58 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
In 2020 the voters will judge which side is further off the deep end. In 2016 the Democrats won (i.e. the people in the middle decided they were more intolerably extreme).

That's simply not true. Clinton won the popular vote by far.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2019 11:01 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:

That's simply not true. Clinton won the popular vote by far.

46.1% to 48.2%..... that counts as winning "by far"? Hell, what would a close race look like?

Partisan math has always amused me.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2019 11:04 am
@maxdancona,
2 percentage points is a solid lead.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2019 11:08 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

The Conservative Edgarblythe (explaining her vote for Trump in 2016) wrote:

You're a real slimy git, learn that one off your pal Oralloy?