A WORLD GOVERNMENT....WHEN....WHY?

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 03:43 pm
Is the formulation of a world government feasible? If so, under what conditions? When would it be to the self-interest of all the countries of the world to unite under one flag? Attack from space? Attack from within, high numbers of deaths because of pollution, disease, etc.?

The following is taken from a website exploring world government:

Quote:
The basic benefits from the World Government are as follows.
1. World Government can reduce or prevent the war and so the destruction by war is reduced or prevented.
2. World Government can reduce the military expenditure.
3. Fluctuation of exchange rate will be removed because the World Central Bank will issue the international common currency.
Thus, establishing the World Government is a political policy but at the same time it is the most effective economic policy. Especially, these benefits are important for developing countries.

LINK TO WEBSITE: http://www.w-g.jp/wgi/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,109 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 03:47 pm
I'm not sure I agree with all the above as being ideal, but a lot of it sounds good. We already have some semblance of it: the UN, World Bank, World Trade Organization, and the results have been mixed. Sadly, the ability of the UN to prevent war seems to be waning. Take the current situation, please...
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 03:53 pm
I don't believe we as humans would create a single world government until such time as we have the ability to populate other worlds.

The concepts expressed on the WWW site you referenced play off the idea of humans in a utopian setting where everyone agrees on everything and gets along.. If that were possible it would have happened centuries ago when the total population was much smaller than what we have today.

But.. A single world government leaves no place for dissenters at this point so it won't happen. Once the dissenters have other options they'll utilize those options and then you have the possibility of a single "World Government" and the ultimate justification for one - the creation of a defense system against those from other planets.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 03:58 pm
World government falls under the topic science fiction or at least the movies. No nation is ready to or would be willing to give up their sovereignty to a world government. That is especially true for the rich and powerful ones.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 06:26 pm
I feel that certainly ANYTHING is possible. So, I would
not ever dismiss something as totally impossible. It
COULD happen, if significant benefits were a probability.
This would have to be studied extensively, and attempted,
and researched on a smaller scale. A world government
experienced on a small scale - sort of a like a trial run.
The benefits of this COULD be outstanding. Nothing like
this has ever been done before. Remember that the
entire world believed that the earth was flat - till they
were proven wrong. Likewise that leeches got rid of
"bad blood". We are always learning and what we are
learning is that ANYTHING is possible.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 06:40 pm
I suspect the single most formidable obstacle to world government would be the United States.

Unless, of course, the United States becomes the nucleus for such an entity by inviting integration in the form of indissoluble statehood for any international state interested in the prospect.

But I don't see it happening any time soon -- if ever.

I think the possibility of another major war -- one that pretty much devastates the planet is more likely. And whether it is devastating or not, I am convinced that planet Earth has not yet seen its last major war - and I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the first shots in that war have already been fired.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 06:51 pm
First rule of politics: never say never.

We are already moving towards a world government. Globalization has let it clear that we are working more and more in a unified economic system. Economic potencies are pushing to it becoming, also, a unified political system. It's clearer, every day, that we are in the same boat.

We have worldwide corporations; we are also having worldwide institutions. The big step will come when we have worldwide law. International law leads the path towards world government. Defiance of international law -be it by tiny tyrants or by self-appointed leaders of democracy- puts obstacles on this path.

But we have to understand "world government" in a lax way. Not a universally elected "President of the United World States". Not the dissapearance of nations and borders. But the creation of a complex web of institutions that put some order in the historical human caos.

AS for timing, we can see the mirror of Europe. A dream started in the fifties. It took them half a century to arrive to a common currency, relaxation of border travel and compensation mechanisms to keep all the countries together in the road to prosperity. Actually, they're half way in their intent of making a "European government".
For the whole world, taking into account all the cultural, development and political differences, it would take at least a century to achieve.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 06:51 pm
Frank
What makes you think that the US would be any more a detriment to a world government than China, Russia, France, Germany or any other of the powerful nations of the world. No nation will IMO willingly give up national sovereignty
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 06:55 pm
au1929,
Who's, among those 5, the biggest superpower? Who has the most to lose?
It's not a question of being "good" or "bad", it's plain logic.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 07:45 pm
I came to the south Georgia in 1977. In those days, I spent a lot of time in farmer's fields. I remember leaning against a red pick-up while a 30+ year-old fellow said something like, "You won't see a white quarterback at Georgia in my lifetime." Interesting. The change did come about, a lot sooner than expected. Why? Common interest? Apparently, it was more important to win than to hold onto the ideal of not using a black quarterback, just like it was more important to win than to have no blacks play on the team.

Some of you have spectulated on why the world would turn to a world government. But I still wonder, what issue could become so
demanding that it would bring about a world government?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 08:09 pm
Goldie

Just a guess.

Don't want to defend it -- which is the reason I worded my comment as I did.

But I'd probably put a couple of bucks on it.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 08:19 pm
I voted for the last option; such a thing could come about, but I see no prospect of it given current conditions and trends. The ideologies of nationalism, theism, and ethnicity will be with us a long, long while yet.

Inestimably long, IMHO.

timber
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 08:27 pm
I've seen two probable scenarios.
1. The world divides into economic zones. The haves enjoy fortified cities; the have nots are walled into poverty. Countries become non existent.
2. The world takes small steps, like Europe, becoming a loose federation moving toward a single government.

I don't know which if either will prevail. I voted for world government to become reality within a hundred years, but all bets are off if we exterminate ourselves first.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 07:42 am
Frank
It's all a guess. But just remember although the US is the world's dominant player today we have no way of knowing who it will be in 100, 50 or for that matter even in 10 years.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 09:13 am
Right you are, Goldie.

Let me add to that thoguht.

One of the reasons we are the world's dominant player right now, may have more to do with the way we've conducted ourselves than with our strength.

We've never really been completely spotless and innocent in our motivation -- but at least we've given the semblance of it.

This group in power right now seem to have thrown all that aside -- and are just asserting our muscle.

I really am very troubled by our conduct at the moment. I'm certainly not proud of it.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2008 06:48 pm
Do we need one more arrogant butchers, rapers, killers, torturers before our death?
Enough.
Let USA be the only power and let the rational decent people sip the soup and sleep.
I am dead against hypocrats.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2008 07:52 pm
"world citizenship" was an active movement in germany after WW II .
gary davis - a former american bomber command member - was the popular leader , i seem to recall . for a few marks one could even obtain a "world citizen" passport .
in the late 1950's germany's economy started to pick up again , people had more "real" money , goods became more plentyful ... and the idea of being a "citizen of the world" just didn't sound that importatnt any more .
people could travel again and just go and look-see how other people lived without any longterm commitment .

similarly , german emigration to the united states , canada and australia that had been quite strong starting right after the war and reached its peak somewhere in the mid 50's started to slow down by the late 1950's . nowadays very few germans emigrate any more .

we have noticed however , that some german scientists and researchers are still coming to canada to teach at universities and even start up small enterprises .

and there are still a few being drawn by "the call of the wild" .
hbg
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 05:03 pm
Germany is anot a super power nor a dancer of all tunes anymore..
Mistake me not that i uphold the German's barbaric past
( because i live in Köln)
but they spread no more HITLER DREAMS.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2008 02:08 pm
I don´t think it would ever work out.
Look at Europe - Yogoslavia worked out as long as Tito was leading the country. Now it is divided up in several countries. UDSSR - has fallen apart.
The idea of one Nordic country started something like 1850 and it never got united and probably never will. At least the Nordic countries are rather similar what history, language and religion are concerned. Still it did not work out.
EU is not that popular - so who knows what will happen in the future. One world government - I don´t believe it.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2008 05:54 pm
Saab
Are we living in Tito's time.???
Change took place but in the wrong direction..
humanity is debased, dehumanized,distorted,defamed,denigraded.
Animal farm survival
Sorry.
0 Replies