Dissent in the Ranks

parados

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 07:51 am
Quote:
Bush did sign a deal a month or so ago with a car company to start doing do heavy duty research on hydrogen fuel for cars. I would say that is a start in the right direction.

Where can I find this deal?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 10:03 am
Ford signs deal for EPA diesel engine technology
Greenwire
01/31/2005 04:43 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Body: Ford Motor Co. said last week that it has inked a deal with the U.S. EPA to use a prototype diesel engine designed by the agency to help spur the adoption of the more-efficient fuel.

Popular in Europe for its fuel-efficiency, diesel has been shunned by U.S. auto buyers due to a series of dirty and underpowered diesel cars and light trucks hastily introduced during the oil crises of the 1970s. But automakers said they hope new models based on better technology will eventually increase the fuel's market share in the consumer market.

"We don't want to give the impression today that everything's solved and next year you will see several hundred thousand light-duty diesel vehicles on the road, but this is already a great start and has great promise," said Ford vice president of research and advanced engineering Gerhard Schmidt (Danny Hakim, New York Times, Jan. 31).

Meanwhile, Nissan Motor Co. Chief Executive Officer Carlos Ghosn told a National Automobile Dealers Association meeting that hybrid technology is too expensive to be practical. "They make a nice story, but they're not a good business story yet because the value is lower then their costs," Ghosn said.

Nissan will release a hybrid version of its Altima sedan next year, but Ghosn said the model is being released only to help meet companywide efficiency standards (Reuters/Los Angeles Times, Jan. 30).

Also facing cost constraints is hydrogen, which President Bush sees as the future of auto fuels.

General Motors, which introduced its Sequel hydrogen concept car, has made a model capable of matching gasoline-powered cars in terms of range and acceleration, but has not lowered costs to a level at which the technology is affordable enough to mass-produce. While GM said it can power a hydrogen car at a cost of about $500 per kilowatt, it estimates that it needs to lower the cost to $50 per kilowatt in order to make it cheap enough.

Another factor limiting adoption of hydrogen technology is the lack of a fueling infrastructure, with only one public hydrogen station in the United States. But energy company officials said an expanded network is possible.

"We can imagine there being 5 million to 10 million fuel cell vehicles in 2020, 50 million in 2030, 150 million in 2040 and 300 million in 2050, said Jeremy Bentham, CEO of Shell Hydrogen. "That's not just a projection, that's what we see as a feasible scenario" (John C. Roper, Houston Chronicle, Jan. 28). -- CD

Reprinted from Greenwire with permission from E&E Publishing, LLC
http://www.eenews.net/Greenwire.htm
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 07:29 pm
Lash wrote:
Ford signs deal for EPA diesel engine technology
Greenwire
01/31/2005 04:43 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Body: Ford Motor Co. said last week that it has inked a deal with the U.S. EPA to use a prototype diesel engine designed by the agency to help spur the adoption of the more-efficient fuel.

Popular in Europe for its fuel-efficiency, diesel has been shunned by U.S. auto buyers due to a series of dirty and underpowered diesel cars and light trucks hastily introduced during the oil crises of the 1970s. But automakers said they hope new models based on better technology will eventually increase the fuel's market share in the consumer market.

"We don't want to give the impression today that everything's solved and next year you will see several hundred thousand light-duty diesel vehicles on the road, but this is already a great start and has great promise," said Ford vice president of research and advanced engineering Gerhard Schmidt (Danny Hakim, New York Times, Jan. 31).

Meanwhile, Nissan Motor Co. Chief Executive Officer Carlos Ghosn told a National Automobile Dealers Association meeting that hybrid technology is too expensive to be practical. "They make a nice story, but they're not a good business story yet because the value is lower then their costs," Ghosn said.

Nissan will release a hybrid version of its Altima sedan next year, but Ghosn said the model is being released only to help meet companywide efficiency standards (Reuters/Los Angeles Times, Jan. 30).

Also facing cost constraints is hydrogen, which President Bush sees as the future of auto fuels.

General Motors, which introduced its Sequel hydrogen concept car, has made a model capable of matching gasoline-powered cars in terms of range and acceleration, but has not lowered costs to a level at which the technology is affordable enough to mass-produce. While GM said it can power a hydrogen car at a cost of about $500 per kilowatt, it estimates that it needs to lower the cost to $50 per kilowatt in order to make it cheap enough.

Another factor limiting adoption of hydrogen technology is the lack of a fueling infrastructure, with only one public hydrogen station in the United States. But energy company officials said an expanded network is possible.

"We can imagine there being 5 million to 10 million fuel cell vehicles in 2020, 50 million in 2030, 150 million in 2040 and 300 million in 2050, said Jeremy Bentham, CEO of Shell Hydrogen. "That's not just a projection, that's what we see as a feasible scenario" (John C. Roper, Houston Chronicle, Jan. 28). -- CD

Reprinted from Greenwire with permission from E&E Publishing, LLC
http://www.eenews.net/Greenwire.htm

I guess I would never refer to DIESEL fuel as HYDROGEN. You claimed a deal on HYDROGEN. This refers to a deal for Ford on DIESEL fuel. No mention of any deal on hydrogen in this story.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 09:27 am
Bush faces Republican resistance on Social Security

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=8371930

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Bush's plan to shore up Social Security by reducing promised benefits for all but low-income retirees is meeting resistance from some Senate Republicans, casting new doubt on Bush's top domestic priority, Republican aides and officials said.

A USA Today/CNN poll released on Monday also showed Bush with the worst approval-disapproval ratings of his presidency -- 35 percent to 58 percent -- on the Social Security issue. The proposal he backed last week for "progressive indexing" was opposed 54 percent to 38 percent.

Stephen Moore, president of the conservative Free Enterprise Fund and a vocal supporter of Bush's push to let workers invest some payroll taxes in private retirement accounts, called the new plan "politically perilous for Republicans."

The White House hoped unveiling the solvency plan would bolster Bush's campaign to add private investment accounts to the retirement system after surveys showing he was ending a 60-day Social Security roadshow with less support for the idea than when he started.

In the narrowly divided Senate, even a few defections among the Republican majority could scuttle Bush's Social Security plan, which faces solid Democratic opposition.

White House spokesman Scott McClellan lashed out at Democratic critics for taking a "do-nothing approach" to the Social Security problem.

Democrats have asserted Bush's plan would result in the biggest-ever Social Security benefit cuts for the middle class.

"The do-nothing approach means massive benefit cuts for all Social Security beneficiaries, at all levels," McClellan said.

So far, Republican Sens. George Allen of Virginia and Sam Brownback of Kansas have publicly expressed reservations about Bush's new approach, which critics say would replace the popular retirement system with what amounts to a welfare program for the poor.

"I don't think that's the sort of solution we ought to be going at," Brownback told MSNBC when asked if he would support a sliding scale for cost-of-living adjustments in Social Security.

Asked if he would support a plan that would result in future benefit cuts of 30 percent to 40 percent for people who make between $59,000 and $90,000, Allen told NBC, "I do not care to reduce the retirement security for particularly middle-income working people."

MODERATES 'QUEASY'

Aides said members of a group of moderate Senate Republicans were also wary of Bush's approach but had yet to speak out publicly.

"I wish the president the best of luck with this," said a senior aide to a Senate Republican. "But he doesn't face re-election in a couple years and I think that's something a lot of members are thinking about."

The aide said the proposal had so far only served to make moderates "queasy."

"I don't think you're going to see a lot of members come out and say they like this proposal. ... It's an explicit benefit cut and an ideological change in how Social Security is viewed," the aide added.

Michael Tanner of the CATO Institute said a lot of Republicans were "very nervous about it" because "it's perceived as benefit cuts."

"The fact is, they are cuts from a promise that can't be kept," Tanner said.

Moore said he was "worried about the political repercussions," and that he was "really torn" about Bush's new strategy, saying he should be focusing instead on private accounts.

But Democratic opposition could backfire, he added, saying, "It will only reinforce the idea that Democrats aren't serious on Social Security and this is a party that is completely obstructionist."
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 09:31 am
There is no 'do-nothing' approach at all.

The Democrats have an approach; roll back the tax cuts for the rich that Bushco. have enacted over the last 5 years. Stop stealing from the trust fund. Balance the current budget and rein in wild military spending. Change the corporate environment to punish outsourcing and close tax loopholes.

If ya do these things, then we could nip the 'crisis' in the bud without cutting benefits. Of course, having Pay-as-you-go really stops the 'conservatives' from wrecking our gov't, so...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 09:32 am
My links thing is not working again, the story can be found anywhere, just google in the title of the article, "Bush faces Republican resistance on Social Security."
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 01:53 pm
parados--

Yah. That wasn't me making a claim. I was just out reading, and had seen the story about Bush and cars, and brought it back. I don't claim to speak for whoever you were conversing with.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 03:44 pm
parados wrote:
Quote:
Bush did sign a deal a month or so ago with a car company to start doing do heavy duty research on hydrogen fuel for cars. I would say that is a start in the right direction.

Where can I find this deal?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/03/30/tech/printable684046.shtml?CMP=ILC-SearchStories
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 06:48 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
There is no 'do-nothing' approach at all.

The Democrats have an approach; roll back the tax cuts for the rich that Bushco. have enacted over the last 5 years. Stop stealing from the trust fund. Balance the current budget and rein in wild military spending. Change the corporate environment to punish outsourcing and close tax loopholes.

If ya do these things, then we could nip the 'crisis' in the bud without cutting benefits. Of course, having Pay-as-you-go really stops the 'conservatives' from wrecking our gov't, so...

Cycloptichorn

Boy I wish someone would be able to shout the democratic plan loud and clear in the media. This would work.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 08:04 am
The Democrats have a plan??

When Nancy Pelosi said they had a plan for Social Security solvency, George Stephanopoulos responded, "But nobody has seen it."

Must be a secret Smile
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 08:42 am
They have a plan; wait until Bush f*cks up uncontrollably, then swoop in with a REASONABLE plan and save the day.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 09:04 am
Spoken like a true proponent of the failed/angry left, Cyclo Smile

<You are a charter member, right?>
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 09:54 am
If by failed/angry, you mean 'the left which is foiling your party's main objectives successfully at the moment, even in a minority' then yeah, I'm a member of that group.

You're a charter member of the smug/retarded Right, correct? As long as we want to trade pointless insults, because, well, yaknow, you're incapable of discussing actually policy in depth.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 10:44 am
Show me the plan Smile

<The Democrats haven't 'had a plan' since the New Deal, 70-some odd years ago> Smile
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 11:27 am
I already told you 'the plan:' let Bushco. make fools of themselves by pushing an agenda that America (and their own party, really) doesn't support. Hammer home how out of touch they are. Alienate them from their religious base by blocking idiotic Judicial appointments and watching them twist in the wind as they can't even get enough votes for the supposed 'nuclear' option. Let Tom Delay hang by the noose he created.

Then swoop in in '06 and '08 for the kill. Remind people why they like Democrats. That's the plan.

Now, I predict you are going to respond with an asinine comment and some sort of smiley face. It would be true to form, for sure...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 11:36 am
Sounds amazingly similar to the Dems' 'swoop' plan for '04 Smile

Good luck with that strategy SmileSmileSmile

<I'll need a link for that 'why they like Democrats' comment>

Smile
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 11:40 am
<sigh> Must you be such a jerk all the time?

Sheesh

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies