Am I Being Selfish

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 09:43 pm
Ok...here goes....My bf and I have 2 children 4 months and 18 months. We do not live together. He works odd hours ( 12 hour days with 3 days off graveyard) so during the week we rarely get to see him because he's alseep . He does attempt to get up early b4 he goes to work to see us but normally its only 15 - 30 minutes that we get to spend together as a family. My problem is that I feel he takes advantage of me and doesn't spend enough time with our children and I. A little back story, b4 I had my 2nd child my bf would sleep ALL DAY on his days off ( he did this before we had children also)....He would stay up all night and then sleep all day until it was time for him to go to work...he did this on his off days also....I know this goes with the territory cuz I have worked the graveyard. My problem goes back to our first child... I would spend the night at his house and he would be up on the computer and our son would start crying and he wouldn't get up to see what was wrong with him.. Even though he was up and doing NOTHING I would have to get up and feed him. I felt he should at least GET UP to see what was wrong...he was only on the computer afterall. I was sooooo grateful when he started sleeping through the night. Ok...now the problem is THE MOTORCYCLE... it wasn't my daughters birth that made him change his ways of sleeping all day and staying up all night. It wasn't me bitching and moaning....Its because now he has a motorcycle now (with my help) and he says all he wants to do is ride. And he has assured me that most likey he will do A LOT of riding this summer. The problem I have with this is I feel he doesn't spend enough time with me and our children. B4 the motorcycle he acted like we (my son and I) weren't enough to get him out of bed...we would go to his house and he wouldn't even get up. Now when we go over he gets up so he can RIDE....this irritates me to NO END......and he stays out for 4, 5 6 hours at a time with no word whatsoever. Now I know he needs time for himself but so do I. His excuse...He works and I dont but you know what i worked RIGHT UP TO THE DAY my son was born, it was my off day from work and then 6 months taking care of him basically all by myself I get a job and when I get home he says 'he's all yours i need time for myself'....GRRRRRR......then AGAIN I go back to work and I work RIGHT UP TO THE DAY our daughter is born and currenly im not working but it wouldn't make any difference because I dont get any free time myself, not when im working or now. I dont know am I being selfish to expect him to spend time with us and to give me free time? I'm tired of arguing because I tell him whats wrong he continues to do it then he apologizes and does the same thing the next time he's off....im at my wits end what should I do?????
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 552 • Replies: 3
No top replies

msolga

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 10:04 pm
No, you're not being selfish in expecting more help from him. And you certainly DO work! (though not in paid employment)
Your partner seems to think that caring for the child is largely your responsibility. How old is he? And was the decision to have the child a joint one?
0 Replies

kikilish

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 10:21 pm
Surprise!
He's 23 and I'm 24. Our kids were 'surprises' but i've fully stepped into the parent role and in my opinion he acts like a kid who's running away from chores his mom has him do. And i've told him i feel this way (those excact words). Its gotten to the point where I feel like I'm nagging and I don't want to feel that way. Its so stereotypical. I watched my mom go through the same thing with my dad....pool halls...motorcycles..buddies and beer... And although he doesn't drink or go to pool halls I feel like i've stepped into her shoes 20 years ago and I have this humongous weight on my shoulders to keep my kids happy and to also keep him happy but it doesn't seem like he wants to keep me happy.. and to do that I want him here with us...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 10:26 pm
That's very hard. You have my sympathy. Sounds like he just doesn't want the responsibilty.
0 Replies