Women In Black

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2003 01:16 pm
Piffka-

I believe that people have the right to gather together to show solidarity for a cause in which they believe- and so do people from the opposite viewpoint.

From what you say, your group appears to be behaving in a most appropriate manner. Remember though, that in emotionally charged situations, especially in a group, you may very well have people who behave in a less than civilized manner.

The important thing is that YOU don't get caught up in the herd mentality.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2003 01:39 pm
Keep your wits about you.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2003 02:05 pm
Thanks, I will be careful.

What was so disrespectful is that they weren't just showing their convictions, they were desperately trying to drown out our voice. That's what I found reprehensible.

There are going to be candlelight vigils in many different places on Sunday evening... I wonder what that will be like? Will those be disrupted?

I am an Air Force brat and believe I have as much claim as any to wrap myself in the flag. Yet now, those flags don't seem so pretty, just petty. We have two burial flags in this house that were given to us to commemorate fathers who served this nation with honor. But this new nationalism makes me ill -- it has no basis. There is nothing to be proud of, in my opinion, nothing to celebrate. I see this as a parade before a victory; the horse before the cart. My father didn't need cheerleaders for his twenty-four years of service and would have been disgusted by it. I share that feeling.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2003 03:24 pm
Piffka- As passionate as you feel about your cause, there are others who feel just the opposite. As you know, certainly from your experience on A2K, some people tend to become irrational when it comes to voicing their political opinions.

My best advice to you is to keep your cool, hope for the best, and be prepared for the worst!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2003 03:30 pm
Right now the war party has staked out monopoly rights to appear patriotic. Sounds like that red, white and blue group has it down pat: When in doubt, wrap yourself in the flag. Anyone who doesn't join in can't be a true patriot.

And the news media, thus far, are doing a great job of supporting this version of reality...
0 Replies