help !... greener pastures? quitting for a better job

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 02:21 pm
I could use some advice:

I am currently a law student on the east coast, and am clerking for a small firm. I recently was offered a position for the summer but even more recently was offered another job paying 10 dollars more per hour. Exams are 3 weeks away and so if I quit it will be almost impossible for the firm to hire a replacement anytime soon. So my big question is: Is there a good way to tell job 1 that found a better job while preserving a decent reference with the firm? I feel bad about leaving the firm as they will be shorthanded, however, the extra money would come in usesful. Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Thanx
-J
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 966 • Replies: 8
No top replies

johnnydelight55

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 02:22 pm
sorry i accidently submitted this twice
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 02:26 pm
All is fair in business. First thing you need to learn (and being in the law field, it scares me that you don't know this....law is vicious) personal is personal and business is business.

Give them their proper 2 week notice and leave. No harm, no foul. You are not responsible for leaving them shorthanded.
0 Replies

johnnydelight55

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 02:39 pm
Bella Dea

Thanx for the reply, I fully realize the viciousness of my future profession, I should have further qualified my question in that I am in a small community and am worried that I may face some blowback if I quit my job with what is a reputable firm (totally undeserved, the experience sucks) for a firm that pays much better... If I were in NY, LA etc this wouldn't be an issue

-J
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 02:39 pm
Disagree. This is where your professional reputation begins. I would consider it more like an internship than a summer job. On the other hand, I have the feeling most law firms take on students as an obligation incurred when someone gave them their first documented experience.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 02:48 pm
You can't be a spineless jelly fish. But you need to do this properly. Tell your boss you've gotten a job opportunity and you appreciate all they did for you but you would like to persue this other avenue. There is nothing wrong with that.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 02:54 pm
...just my opinion:

1) Your reputation is a powerful thing.
If you show the world that you take care of your needs,
and go where the successful money is . . .
then THAT is how the world will treat you from now on.
With self-respect and money.

2) If you leave them in a lurch, in a civil manner, then they realize how much they should be paying you. If nobody leaves them for greener pastures, then there's no reason for them to get their field together.

3) Good business is when both parties profit.
If you EVER sacrifice your interests for the firm, you violate that.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 03:20 pm
People leave jobs all the time, whether it is good timing for the company or not. Consider it this way, I know of companies that have laid off people just before Christmas. Did they consider whether it was a good time for the individual? No, it was timing that was better for the company prior to year end.

That being said, the best way to leave a company, is to write a resignation letter, giving at least two weeks notice. Basically leave it as simple as possible and let them know you appreciated everything they have done for you, but feel you have been given a better opportunity elsewhere. Keep it professional until the end and work just as hard as you did before giving your notice. No company that has any sort of decent reputation would give you a bad reference just because you left for a better opportunity.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 06:19 pm
I am so depressed...I am a law student as well, but I can't get a job as a clerk - i don't know why. I do all the right units (practical and hands on) and my marks are better than average. I have applied so many times to so many law firms but its always rejection rjeection rejection. I'm stuck in a job I cannot stand (work in the library) and its getting me so upset, I end up just crying because I hate it and I want to get out but I'm stuck. I don't know what to do - I don't want to give up my current job because of the money (pay is pretty good) but I'm more for experience and doing something within my field rather than a good-money-job.
0 Replies