Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 12:08 pm
Who came second?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 12:11 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
old europe wrote:
Fußball! Yes!

Tonight, I'm twice 'anti-Bavarian': additionally re cup semi-final (starts in 22 mins)Laughing

We'll see, Walter, we'll see... Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 12:14 pm
fbaezer wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Nobody can beat the archbishop of Munich!

This is getting to be like football (soccer, fussball).
No matter how bad they play, the Germans always win.

Az vell zey shoutt, fbaezer, az vell zey shoutt! (And thanks for not mentioning our debacle against Chelsea last week!)
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 12:14 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Who came second?

I don't think there's a "ranking"....
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 12:19 pm
The cardinals have to keep the results of the election secret. "Forever".
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 12:20 pm
<gloom>
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 12:22 pm
fbaezer wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Nobody can beat the archbishop of Munich!

This is getting to be like football (soccer, fussball).
No matter how bad they play, the Germans always win.

What do the Mexicans think about Benedikt XVI?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 12:40 pm
Given Ratzinger's position within the Vatican Hierarchy prior to his Accession, there won't be much of a settlin' in period. His influence, authority, and power base already are well established. Among the first, and most vigorously prosecuted, of his initiatives will be a strongly focussed campaign against secularism, moral relatavism, and dioscesean independence. His election in such short order indicates clearly that the conservatives within the leadership of The Church are firmly in control.

Sidebar: A Flashback, for a bit of background on the new Pope and something of his take on morality. Hardliner barely begins to describe Ratzinger.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 12:45 pm
old europe wrote:

What do the Mexicans think about Benedikt XVI?

For Me? Wished it had been a less conservative one.
For several liberal minded persons I've spoken with, it felt like a expected cold shower.
Some said: "Well... he's 78 already".

But for a secretary at the office?
"Thank God, at least we have someone. We felt so unprotected without a Pope!"
Rolling Eyes
I think she expressed better the sentiment of the majority.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 12:49 pm
Thanks, fbaezer! Interesting...
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 01:11 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Sidebar: A Flashback, for a bit of background on the new Pope and something of his take on morality. Hardliner barely begins to describe Ratzinger.

I agree. And the thread you flash back to (thanks!) contains two quotes that will sum up my feelings about Benedict XVI as soon as I have recovered from my "cheerleading for Munich" mode.

ehBeth wrote:
The Pope could support/put out a document saying Rice Krispies go snap, crackle, pop - and I'd find a way to disagree.

Walter Hinteler wrote:
Well, knowing Cardinal Ratzinger's works and deeds since my school time, having met him personally once, I agree with most of German catholics, that's better he is in Rome (= "Rome is far away") than that he stayed here.

(Okay, that last one didn't quite work out as Walter planned.) Now, please excuse me as I go light a candle in the Frauenkirche, Ratzinger's old church.
0 Replies

ul

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 01:38 pm
http://www.ratzingerfanclub.com/

About the cardinal, some of his thoughts and some merchandise: tshirts, beer mugs

Lot of traffic right now- so sometimes the side will not open.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 02:39 pm
I think the cardinals made a big mistake. How will this choice improve the shrinking numbers in churches around the world? Even in Central and South America, evangelical churches are attracting Catholics in droves.

The Catholic Church has It's head in the sand.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 02:58 pm
I am far from happy with this news.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 03:07 pm
My daughter phoned me earlier today to tell me the news. I had received the impression that Ratzinger was not a frontrunner -- but, one never knows about an operation as secret as the College of Cardinals.

According to my son-in-law, Ratzinger was a member of the Hitler Youth.
That reminded me -- anyone else here raised Roman Catholic -- about the so-called secret letter, dictated by the apparition of the Blessed Virgin Mary to the children at Fatima, Portugal, that was to have been opened by the Pope in 1960. At the time, I heard reports on it that clearly fell into the "urban legend" category. The most sophisticated of the sisters who taught at St. Martha's School said the letter contained, "gibberish." But, the note that Ratzinger was a member of the Hitler Youth certainly made me think of 'the letter' immediately.

I was hoping for an African or a South American. I dislike the role played by Ratzinger in the dismemberment of Liberation Theology.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 03:08 pm
I think it's perfect. This should keep Christianity, and hopefully all organized religions, headed slowly but surely into the dustbin of history.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 03:12 pm
kickycan wrote:
I think it's perfect. This should keep Christianity, and hopefully all organized religions, headed slowly but surely into the dustbin of history.

aaawww, kicky! That was mean!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 03:16 pm
I'm not so certain about that, kicky. I think it might strengthen religion in certain quarters. There are still some folks who are angry over Vatican II.
0 Replies

ul

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 03:18 pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Benedict_XVI

Joseph Ratzinger was born in Marktl am Inn, in Bavaria, the son of a police officer who was staunchly anti-Nazi. In 1937 Ratzinger's father retired and setled in the town of Traunstein. When Ratzinger turned 14 in 1941, he joined the Hitler Youth as required by law. According to biographer John Allen, Ratzinger was an unenthusiastic member who refused to attend any meetings. In 1943, at the age of 16 he was, along with the rest of his class, drafted into the Flak or anti-aircraft corps, responsible for the guarding of a BMW plant outside Munich. He was then sent for basic infantry training and was posted to Hungary, where he worked setting up anti-tank defences until deserting in April 1945.

In 1945 he was briefly held in an Allied POW camp, where he attended de-Nazification classes. By June he was released, and he and his brother (Georg) entered a Catholic seminary.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 03:21 pm
Thanks for the info, Ul.
0 Replies