Catholic Church Now Accepts Gays

NoNe

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 02:08 pm
hamburger wrote:
thunder wrote :

"Quote:
That if Jesus was alive, He would've Cried if he had seen what people have done to the House of his Father, and turned into the evil something. U guys who think that it is ok, Suck. "

from what i know, jesus was a simple and humble person. no large buildings and edificies - called churches, for some reason - for him; a simple abode was enough for him.
no gold and silver and brocade vestments for him; simple clothes were all he ever wore, didn't he ?

i can't quite understand why most "churches" find it necessary to put up elaborate buildings in the name of jesus and god; do they approve ?

i believe there are some christian groups, the quakers and mennonites come to mind, that can practice christian religion without any elaborate trappings.

can anyone point out to me where in the bible it states that elaborate and expensive buildings - and other such things - are required for worship ? (particularly considering that millions of people in this world go hungry and cannot have their basic medical needs taken care of). i'm baffled. hbg

Well, I am not sure what did he like-Didn't know him in person, and when I said "The house of his father", I did not mean the Church as a bulding or institution. I ment the Teaching of the God. Well, I think U should learn to read "In-between-the-lines".
IMHO
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 05:45 am
The bible never says that you must have a nice facility, but isn't it nice to have a place where you can feel comfortable, and at home, praising God?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 05:48 am
It is noteworthy how often the religiously fanatical invite others to "read between the lines." Such an exercise is, of course, crucial to the forwarding of the specious dogma they embrace, since even the ridiculous scripture to which they inevitably refer does not specifically say what they would have us believe.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 06:03 am
Setanta, if you cannot take a text, and come to some sort of conclusion of it as a whole...on second thought, is the bible the only book you do this to?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 06:10 am
I apply the same standard to any use of a text by fanatics. My quibble is not with the bible, which is, after all, simply a collection of badly written, contradictory folk tales, which purports to reveal the word of god. My objection is the low, self-interested uses to which the document is put by those who wish to foist their beliefs off on others as the truth, while failing to provide any evidence having real substance--as opposed to simply suggsesting that one "read between the lines."
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 06:20 am
Quote:
My quibble is not with the bible, which is, after all, simply a collection of badly written, contradictory folk tales, which purports to reveal the word of god.

Can you prove they this, and only this? Give me some contradictory lines, and we'll see...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 06:21 am
I do not claim that the bible is the word of god. Those who purport this to be the case are obliged to provide the proof. No one is obliged to disprove such a contention.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 06:24 am
You have taken the offensive from the beginning and unless your argument has no value, it shouldn't be so hard to back it up...at least that's how you sound.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 06:27 am
I point out that the religiously fanatical have reference continually to scripture, that they are obliged to "interpret" that scripture, because the passages they cite do not plainly say what they contend to be the meaning, and that these fanatics trade in revealed truth. If you contend that the bible is the revealed truth, the word of god, it is up to you to prove your case, no one is obliged to disprove your case.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 09:04 am
Setanta poses no argument; he merely requests you support the proposition you set forth, thunder_runner32. Where, apart from within itself, is the evidence that the Abrahamic mythopaeia, and in particular the Judaeo-Chistian, most particularly the Christian, subsets of same, as would be required for your proposition to be valid, be anything but folklore?
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 09:20 am
http://www.clarifyingchristianity.com/b_proof.shtml
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 10:53 am
your referrenced website, How do you know the Bible is true?, amounts to "preaching to the choir" - literally. The "Proof" it offers is "Proof" only to those predisposed to accept the proposition - it proceeds from the thesis that it proves itself - a logical impossibility.

Just to take one example of the specious "proofs" offered thereon, I quote from the website:
Quote:
The Proof of Historians
Secular history supports the Bible. For example, in The Antiquities of the Jews, book 18, chapter 3, paragraph 3 the famous historian Flavius Josephus writes:

etc etc

The author of this "proof" ignores the historic and contextual realities of the matter, as were discussed on these boards some while back, in a post dealing with Josephus, Tacitus, et al as claims of "Biblical Proofs".

"The Bible is true because the Bible is Gods word, which we know because the Bible tells us so" is no proof whatsoever.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 12:55 pm
catholic church
http://www.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/3/30/400px-Ourladyofpeaceafricaexterior.jpg

perhaps this is an example of a place were thunder might feel "comfortable ... at home ... while praising god".
it's the "basilica of our lady of peace in the ivory coast".
i think i better refrain from further commentary ... for the moment. hbg
0 Replies

NoNe

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 04:18 pm
Satanta, or Satan or whoever u r, What do u understand when u use the word "Fanatical"? What means for u to be fanatical? Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 06:45 pm
<nodding to Hamburger>
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 07:18 pm
Now, Walter (and osso) - lets be fair; Félix Houphouët-Boigny, first president of Republic of Cote d'Ivoire, built the Basilica of Our Lady of Peace entirely with funds he maintained to his dying day had not been looted from the national treasury or extorted from foreign firms and investors. The Vatican had nothing to do with its construction. And besides, apart from the church itself, bigger than St. Peter's in Rome - bigger, in fact than any other basillica in Christendom - there is a conference center and a planned fun park. The conference center is one of the best on the African continent, and may some day host a conference. The fun park, however, remains but a plan.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 07:38 pm
catholics
a good description of the ...BASILICA... can be found here.
btw the writer of the article, hans j. massaquoi, is a true "hamburger", who become the editor of "ebony" magazine. i have his biography and have read at more than once; it gives a good acccount of being a young boy growing up in germany during the 1930's - it's one of the best stories written about growing up in germany at that time IMO. hbg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 07:44 pm
I greatly enjoyed that biography as well, Hamburger. It occurred to me more than once that he would have been better off to have remained in Hamburg after the war.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 07:48 pm
i think he - eventually - did quite well by becoming editor of "ebony". last i heard he was living in new orleans. hbg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 11:34 pm
I remain ignorant again, failing to read the links yet. It was the photo that got me.

Not the exuberant dome, exactly, as I have seen many of those, nor that certain natives might not deserve a dome, eh, not my pov.... I was taken by the clash of money in front of what I guess is extreme poverty. I could be wrong again. Maybe that poverty nearby isn't extreme.

Maybe a dome is a boon for a small area. I don't know.

My own guess is that the dome is a superimposed cultual artifact, but, I don't know that.. Well, I think I do, but it might not have been imposed very recently.
0 Replies