Who are the Artists here?

SCoates

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 07:31 pm
Any other sculptors? I find that is the only medium I am capable of using well. Um... by medium I meant clay. But sculpting is the only form of art.

I'm just too meticulous to paint. I'm too much of a perfectionsist, and can never stop until it's perfect, which it never will be. But with clay it is so much easier to fix mistakes. Plus I much better enjoy working in 3-D than having to judge perspective.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,046 • Replies: 29
No top replies

superjuly

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 08:18 pm
I used to do a lot of hand drawing, but I haven't done much of it lately...
The last time I started a project (a palm tree in pencil) I put it aside after a couple of times working on it and just never got to finish it.

That's too bad, because so far it looks pretty amazing... I really should scan some of my work and post here on a2k...

Maybe I will, when and if I ever get some free time, which I doubt I will.
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 03:51 am
I am still trying to do art for a living but it is slowly killing me the insecurity of it all. I tend to do printmaking, although I did do alot of illustration type work considering I sat a long time in front of a computer doing graphic design for money.

I don't know many sculptors myself, only a conceptual artist, originally a sculptor mind you (luis camnitzer) and my grandfather-in-law (Eugène Dodeigne). Sometimes I think that sculpture is a skill that not many master. Got any photos SCoates?

Eugène Dodeigne

Luis Camnitzer
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 04:36 am
There are quite a few here, SCoates, but I'll let them introduce themselves. It's a pity the Gallery is still not functional. You could see examples of A2Ker's work there.

(Hi, benconservato! Any plans to head home?Very Happy)
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 01:45 pm
It is a shame about the gallery...

(Hey msolga; I was just there in beautiful oz... not too thrilled about being back in the cold. It seems worse and it honestly isn't. It is getting warm in this part of the world so hopefully I can deal with the cold a bit longer).
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 01:13 am
Ah well, benconservato, suffering all this cold has got to be for a good reason ... like a beloved! Very Happy But, thinking long-term ..... Home would be nice, yes? Very Happy (Glad you enjoyed your visit, though! Very Happy )
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 12:48 pm
I consider myself one of the A2K artists (painter with acrylics and pastels, and drawer with charcoal). There is a gaggle of others; don't know why they do not sign up.
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 01:19 pm
I did get a cold that's for sure! (coming back here: 2 weeks!)

I digress...

Those other artists are being quiet, too much work to do and not enough internet browsing time.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 01:45 pm
I'm a professional photographer.

Some consider that an art, some consider it a trade. I fall right in the middle by thinking of it as a craft.

So, if you're accepting craftsmen to your artist thread here I am.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 09:11 pm
I'm an oil painter. I mostly paint the human figure. Eventually, I'd really like to get into figural sculpture. This semester I'm rounding up my undergrad Studio Art degree and, unfortunately, am currently getting rejected from a bunch of grad schools (The count is six at this point.) I'm going to keep painting, and probably keep trying to get in to grad school.
My website, as always, is a work in progress Smile. I changed designers b/c the old one didn't do anything for two years, but the new one is out of town so... I'll post and let y'all know when its up.

I did have a print up in the senior show and thats on the internet, so send me a PM if you want the link.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 10:22 pm
Well, I graduated with a degree in fashion illustration and specialized in a photorealistic style working mostly in soft pencils, charcoals and conte crayons. Some inks and watercolors. I've been a graphic designer for over twenty years, that's my trade (?), but as far as my art, the computer has pulled me away from the drawing table and I very rarely put pencil to paper nowadays.

I'd like to take a figure drawing class. Lately I've been kinda craving the feel of charcoal and newsprint again.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 10:54 am
I am a painter and use oils and canvas primarily. I'm interested in a lot of kinds of art.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 11:29 am
Well, I'm a potter, though I refer to myself as a clay artist. Many people call pottery and the like craft, and the controversy between art and craft has been discussed on another thread.

One wit settled the argument—in my opinion—by saying "If you piss on it, it's art; if you piss in it, it's craft." My work serves both functions, so I guess it's art and craft. Maybe I'm a crafty artist.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 11:49 am
I work in bullshit. that's my medium. I'm considered quite accomplished.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 08:03 pm
And do you have a gallery for that?
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 08:19 pm
coluber2001 wrote:

You can piss on -and- in your art? Is this some kind of shrodengers pot?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 09:44 pm
<Hey, Portal, long time no see...>
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 11:50 pm
ossobuco wrote:
And do you have a gallery for that?

You're posting to it. Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 12:26 am
Oh, whine, I knew that already. I thought it might be some
real estate space...

well, you could pick one, if you wanted to..
0 Replies

benjamino

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 04:54 am
hi everyone, just joined, i'm making a bit of a living off my art, i just make flyers and posters for bands at the mo, a few tattoo designs and a coupla murals but not many, i'd love to do more. i'm trying to get some t-shirt designs done and start printing some massive posters, i work mostly with acrylics and oil pastel at the mo but i used to work a lot with inks and charcoal. i enjoy the so called 'lo-brow' artists, glenn barr, bill wray, coop, robert williams, gary basemann etc and also comic artists like jamie hewlett and vaughn bode. i'm making a graphic novel that i hope to publish myself too but that might be a pipe dream because it's silliness running riot at the moment. oh well, i do it for fun at the end of the day.
0 Replies