I'm building a log cabin

ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 09:22 pm
where would you put your puter in one of those little ones?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 09:27 pm
Sounds like a plan. That's what I was figuring on the price of the kit. I'll save a ton by tapping into our already existing septic and I won't be making a driveway, so it's a matter of getting the kit, paying for labor to help me build, plumber, and electrician, so I think I'll be able to swing it with no problem. I fully expect to go over my budjet by about 10,000 and if I do, a loan is no problem.

Here's the Moncton place I was telling you about.

http://www.kentlogshapers.com/
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 09:28 pm
ehBeth wrote:
where would you put your puter in one of those little ones?

I'll find a corner somewhere ;-)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 09:33 pm
I'll also keep Sears in mind for my mattress, but they're so damn expensive!
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 01:06 am
What the hell is all this?

'Mattress', 'electricity', 'pressurized water' - is this some kind of girlie log-cabin with throw pillows and a new-fangled speaking telegraph?

For shame Montana! Next you'll be telling me you're planning to have double-ply toilet paper and an INSIDE TOILET to match!!

I thought....

http://www.bakerlite.co.uk/pics/family/Baker-old/log-cabin-1.jpg

..and you REALLY want....

http://www.holidaylets.net/owners/4811/44116.jpg
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 06:52 am
If youre gonna tie into an existing septic and tile field, then you will be limiting your locations to areas where you can get sufficient slope to drain into the septic. Be careful and get some help in slope measure.

Our local ordinances wouldnt let us do that, even though were a farm sized property. Beyond a certain distance from an existing sewage system, it doesnt make sense to tie in anyway . It does make sense to tie into your existing well because you can have a cutoff and cleanout drain and most likely, the pump is sized for enough head pressure to serve 2 places.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 07:55 am
Stilly
You're too funny.

Farmerman
The cabin would be as close to the septic as the house is, but I'll ask all the questions before to make sure it can be done. I can't tap into the well because it's a small well.
This house was built in 1988 and is 3 times the size of the house that was here before and they kept the well the same size as it was, so the water pressure we have now isn't even the best.
If I can't tap into the septic, I'll be a bit bummed because it'll cost me a small fortune to have a new septic put in and I probably won't be able to build where I had planned.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 03:15 am
Montana wrote:
Stilly You're too funny.

it'll cost me a small fortune to have a new septic put in and I probably won't be able to build where I had planned.

You have trees?! Your little 'Montana' legs will let you squat, no? Just don't ask me to visit, I like to keep my footware..... un-interred!!
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 12:53 am
Montana wrote:

Farmerman
The cabin would be as close to the septic as the house is, but I'll ask all the questions before to make sure it can be done. I can't tap into the well because it's a small well.
This house was built in 1988 and is 3 times the size of the house that was here before and they kept the well the same size as it was, so the water pressure we have now isn't even the best.
If I can't tap into the septic, I'll be a bit bummed because it'll cost me a small fortune to have a new septic put in and I probably won't be able to build where I had planned.

Here's my two cents worth, Montana. Farmerman makes a good point about the septic, but even without slope {and if it's allowed by the province's septic department], you could put in a small holding tank and pump the effluent to the existing septic tank.

BUT, CAVEAT COMING; you say that the existing house has grown BUT the septic system has not. It may already be undersized, field wise. Tank size isn't super crucial but if you don't have enough drainage field area, you may just tip the balance to a clogged main field.

Field area is normally determined by # of bedrooms but that can be a bit misleading. Even if there were ten bedrooms but only a couple of people living there, the relationship is really "people load" to field area size.

Next, the well. Adding a part time house to the scenario won't make any difference to the well. Your water pressure VERY likely has nothing to do with the capacity of the well. Water pressure has a lot to do with pipe size, pipe type and the age of the pipe.

You could also have an undersized pressure tank or a pressure tank set at too low a pressure.

A low producing well can be offset by installing a smallish storage tank, the size would be about "average daily water consumption". This tank would trickle fill during off hours, thereby "increasing" your well production.

RE: water for the new place. I'd have a line dug into a central area of the new house, as far from the outside walls as possible. This line should come in underground a few feet below your area's normal frost depth as it's determined to be for footings.

For example, if the frost depth for your area of N.B. is 4 feet, then you should dig the water line in at about 8 feet down.

This pipe, should be copper, has to come in at the full depth, 8 feet, to the central location. At this central location, you add a frost proof hydrant, similar to the ones farmers use. All plumbing lines would be fed from the hydrant feed but when it's shut off in the winter, the line drains back down to 8 feet. At the base of this hydrant, a small gravel bed is put around to help aid the drain down.

The plumbing could be arranged so that you'd open both water taps at the highest level, OR have an airvent installed at the high point and all the plumbing would self drain. Because, it's a hydrant, the next time you warmed the house up with a woodstove, you could turn the water back on.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 05:58 am
yeh, what he said.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 09:54 am
JTT
What great advice. Thanks very much! It would be great to be able to turn the water on in the winter when I get the place warmed up. I'm going to show the plumber what you wrote and have him set it up that way :-D Thanks again for taking the time to explain everything. Thank you all :-D

An update
We are having a new septic put in as we speak. It needed to be done, so now was a good time. It also gave me a chance to talk to our plumber that said that there would be no problem for me to tap my cabin into the same septic as long as it's a bit above the ground level of the septic. He says he does it all the time and there are no laws against it here. This is good news for sure. This is going to save me a bundle and I can build where I intended.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 09:05 pm
A late, you're welcome, Montana. Why'd ya pick that handle? Ever been there?

Keep us informed on the log cabin.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 02:41 am
Nope, never been there. I use to watch a show that had a cowgirl in it called Montana and she reminded me so much of myself, I took on the name :-D
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 04:57 am
Montana wrote:
Nope, never been there. I use to watch a show that had a cowgirl in it called Montana and she reminded me so much of myself, I took on the name :-D

What one was that, Montana? Was it a TV show or a movie?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 03:11 am
It was a tv show made some time back called Snowy River.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 03:24 am
Head 'em up, move 'em out,
Move 'em out, head 'em up,
Mon-TANA! Move em' out - MON-tan!!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 03:07 am
Laughing
0 Replies

Mirriwinni

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 08:55 am
Hi, Montana. On the subject of old TV shows, my favourite when growing up long ago was a Canadian one called, I think, Forest Rangers. Even now, whenever I'm chopping wood, the theme runs through my head....
The size of the cabin mentioned earlier in the thread, 750 sq feet, sounds good. We live in one 50-x15 feet I built myself which is open plan with a cathedral ceiling and combined with a verandah 10x50 there is heaps of room.
Thats it on my icon space.
Not logs, but rough-sawn planks an inch tthick, based on passive solar design.
Power source is four solar panels, with lpg gas for cooking and hot water.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 09:41 am
Mirriwinni
Ahhhh yes, Forest Rangers is still on tv here in Canada and I watch it every now and again.
Your cabin sounds beautiful and you must have some major tallent to have built it yourself! I'm very impressed!

Thank you for your welcomed advice :-)

Welcome to A2K and I hope to see more of you around here :-D
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 06:16 am
So how's the log cabin comin' along, Montana?
0 Replies