I'm building a log cabin

Montana

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 02:06 pm
Re: I'm building a log cabin
squinney wrote:
Montana wrote:
... Small bathroom with combo bath/shower, toilet, and sink.

So what do you guys think?

I think I'd make these at least three separate items, but that's just me. Razz

Otherwise, I'm so jealous!!!

Hmmmm.... So you don't think the tub and the toilet in the middle of the livingroom would be a good idea? Maybe I should put them in the kitchen instead. What do you think?
I once knew a guy who had a toilet in his kitchen and I thought it looked rather lovely Laughing
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 02:08 pm
I was going to ask if you had looked into the log cabin companies but dys beat me to it and with a lot more information. I know I have seen at least 3 companies with model log homes in my travels around MN, SD and WI.

I like his suggestion of footers instead of a slab. Then you can build a wood floor which will probably be better insulated and you don't have to worry about it cracking.

You looking to live in the cabin year round? Or just a summer thing?

If the price of a log home is too much, you might want to look into building a straw bale house.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 03:45 pm
Parados
Thank you for your advice. You and Dys have me talked into going with footers.
No, I won't be staying in it year round, but I will be using it year round. It's going to be built on the same land as my existing house.
My mother and I own the house we live in now, but as easy as she is to live with, I need my own space now and again.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 04:02 pm
Here's a sample of what I have in mind, except I want a screened in front porch bigger than the one pictured here.

http://www.highmountainloghomes.com/imagesopt/Myhouse(front)lg.jpg
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 04:07 pm
Here's a better example, so picture this, but smaller.

http://www.highmountainloghomes.com/imagesopt/Myhouse(back)lg.jpg
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 04:08 pm
I also won't have dormers.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 04:09 pm
footing are better with freezing temps and moisture
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 04:11 pm
how are you planning on heating?
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 04:12 pm
Like this? Very Happy

http://rs.prs.k12.nj.us/toys/construction/slincoln.jpg
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 05:53 pm
Husker
I probably won't be putting any kind of heating system in there since I won't be living in it and I can't afford to be paying to heat 2 houses in the winter. I'll shut off the water in the winter and when I do spend time in there when it's cold, I'll have a fireplace and wood stove to keep me nice and toasty. I'll bring over several gallons of water so I can use the toilet and wash whatever dishes I dirty.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 05:55 pm
Sublime
Heehee! Thanks for the blast from the past. I loved my lincoln logs :-D
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 06:30 pm
just a thought here montana, but you mention bringing water rahter than putting in a well, you might look into water tanks/pressurized water systems made for rv's, they are very efficient and usually have a capacity of 50 gals or more (I would also seriously consider putting in a septic tank) I've done this before and have a few ideas some of which may be helpful.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 08:47 pm
Dys
I will be putting in a well. I just mentioned bringing water over for the toilet and such for the winter when I shut the water off. I will also have a septic as well. Actually, I'll be connecting to our already existing septic.

I can use all the ideas I can get, so keep them coming, my friend ;-)

Thanks for all your help :-D
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 08:58 pm
I'll take some pics this weekend of where I plan on placing my little hide away and I'll post them here for you guys :-D
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 08:59 pm
http://www.cabins.ca/html/price_list.html

http://www.cabins.ca/images/Hull_med.jpg

Hull $56,794

cabins.ca is a pretty decent site
has some useful info

A friend from university days set up a business building custom log cabins. 20 years ago, he was already charging close to $200,000 so the kits are a great deal if you can do most of the work yourself.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 09:00 pm
Thanks Beth. I'm gonna go check that out right now :-D
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 09:04 pm
The Huron matches the room layout you are considering a bit more closely, and is about one-third less $.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 09:16 pm
I noticed that. It looks like the prices are right and I can do a lot of the work myself since my working season runs from May to Dec. It'll be pushing it, since April is the only month I'll really be able to do a lot due to the weather conditions here, but I think I can swing it. I can spend between 40 and 50,000, so I'm hoping I can throw up something nice for that amount.
I found a place local that's right in Moncon that does the log cabin kits, so I think I'll go over there and have a chat with them one day soon. I expect to be doing this in 2 years if all goes as planned.

I never thought I'd live to see the day where I'd finally be able to have my dream cabin and I'm so excited :-D
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 09:20 pm
On your site, the Whitehorse would also be a perfect floor plan and it's 10,000 cheaper than the Hurton, although it would cost a bit more to add the fireplace.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 09:21 pm
Spend 20 - 25 on a kit, have 10 for labour/water issues, leaves a slush fund of 10 for surprises and a bit of nice furniture - including the best mattress you can afford from Sears (seriously - just talked to someone about mattresses - almost all from one factory - with different labels stuck on - go for Sears best)
0 Replies