Warren DNA test apology

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2019 11:05 am
Elizabeth Warren seems to have apologized for getting a DNA test to 'prove' native American heritage. While it is good to raise consciousness about the deeper meaning of culture and ethnicity, is it really so bad to get a DNA test if you want to know whether you are genetically linked to common ancestors with other people you deem more a part of an identity group than you deem yourself?

Maybe and maybe not. The bigger issue, though, is why group classification is being treated as status? After all, aren't we all supposed to be created equal? The real issue should be about culture and values and marginalization of some culture vis-a-vis other culture. Why, for example, do some modern US citizens view the prohibition of development on certain lands as an obstacle to economic self-determination? Why can't they just embrace a way of life acceptable to native American authorities and get permission to use the land that way instead of developing it in a 'modern' way?

Probably most modern people don't want to live in a tent or small home and live off the land or otherwise observe a traditionally-minimalist native American economic ethic, but it is good for the environment and sustainability to live that way, so why would it be more important to have genealogical connections to 'the tribe' than to simply be willing to observe cultural restrictions against whatever modern lifestyle activities and development practices are deemed taboo?

BillRM

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2019 03:25 pm
@livinglava,
livinglava wrote:

Elizabeth Warren seems to have apologized for getting a DNA test to 'prove' native American heritage. While it is good to raise consciousness about the deeper meaning of culture and ethnicity, is it really so bad to get a DNA test if you want to know whether you are genetically linked to common ancestors with other people you deem more a part of an identity group than you deem yourself?

Maybe and maybe not. The bigger issue, though, is why group classification is being treated as status? After all, aren't we all supposed to be created equal? The real issue should be about culture and values and marginalization of some culture vis-a-vis other culture. Why, for example, do some modern US citizens view the prohibition of development on certain lands as an obstacle to economic self-determination? Why can't they just embrace a way of life acceptable to native American authorities and get permission to use the land that way instead of developing it in a 'modern' way?

Probably most modern people don't want to live in a tent or small home and live off the land or otherwise observe a traditionally-minimalist native American economic ethic, but it is good for the environment and sustainability to live that way, so why would it be more important to have genealogical connections to 'the tribe' than to simply be willing to observe cultural restrictions against whatever modern lifestyle activities and development practices are deemed taboo?

LOL Found by way of a DNA test that I am 50 percent Viking so now I know why when I used to go sailing with a friend of mine years ago that after a few rums and cokes I use to wish to ram and board other crafts.
0 Replies