Fund Raising ideas

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 05:44 am
My friend is hosting a HUG night(Helping Unite Generations)
She is inviting around 30ish people to her house where we will have a pub type quiz.
Can anyone else think of a way to raise money on the night,all I can think of is a raffle.

Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,257 • Replies: 13
No top replies

squinney

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 06:00 am
Some ideas:

Have each person donate something before the party. As each guest arrives, they draw a grab bag that contains one of the items. When it's time to play, and after they have had time to mingle if they do not know each other, have one person at a time stand in front and give them two chances to guess who the item in their grab bag belongs to. The items then get returned to the owner. You can specify when gathering the items that you want something that represents not only the person, but their generation. (Beatles 45, lime green scarf, beaded purse, and such)

To make it a fundraiser:

If they are wrong, they make a donation. If they are right, the person the item belongs to makes a donation. Just make sure everyone knows it's a fundraiser before hand. Don't say how much they have to donate, let them put in what they can / want.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 06:10 am
Write down 30 things that pertain to the generations represented. Divide the guests into 2-3 groups. One person from the first group comes forward, draws from the basket and acts out (charades style) whatever is on the paper he chose. The other groups try to guess not only what is written on the paper, but which generation it represents. Then someone from group two is chosen to go next, etc.

.................................................................................

More of an icebreaker than a fundraiser.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 06:34 am
Have each guest tell your friend something significant about themselves. On a sheet of paper, type up the list:

My family was the first on my block to own a black and white tv and all the neighbors gathered in front of it on Saturday afternoons to watch "whatever." That was one of my favorite summers. _______

Kennedy was shot in the year I started grade school and I remember exactly where I was when it happened. _______

I served in Vietnam with honor and earned a purple heart. ______

When I went to college Germany was divided. When I graduated college, Germany was united. ______

"Whoever" won an academy award for his performance in "Whatever" the year I graduated high school and it is my favorite movie to this day. ________

etc.

Each guest gets a sheet as they arrive. As they mingle and chat they ask "Was Kennedy shot the year you started grade school?" or whichever one they think applies. If they are right, the person signs their name next to the one that pertains to them. At the end of a set amount of time, the winner is the person that has the most signatures on his/her sheet.

Gives them something to talk about and teaches them something about the history of each person.

...................................................................................

To make it a frundraiser:

Give each person an enevelope. When they are asked the wrong question, the person asking has to make a donation to the other persons envelope. Gather the envelopes at the end to see who stumped the most people with the information they provided about themselves. You do not have to put a dollar amount on what gets donated (ie. don't say "you have to donate a dollar each time you are wrong 'cause some may donate $5 each time. Others may only be able to donate $1)
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 06:44 am
Oooo, try this! It's fun....

Would You Rather..

You write down questions like "Would you rather ___ or ____?" on pieces of paper. Fold them up and toss them in a hat (or bowl) and everyone takes one. Then everyone has to stand up and read their question, answer it and say why. You can take the time to discuss it or just move on. Great ice breaker and fun game to get to know people a bit.

Some sample questions:

Would you rather be President of a land out of a Dr.Seuss book or a science fiction novel?

Would you rather be able to read minds or become invisible?

Would you rather sweat because of exercise or humidity?

Would you rather ride a roller coaster or ride a mechanical bull?

Would you rather be told you have a booger hanging out of your nose or that you have bad breath?

Would you rather step in dog poop barefoot or have a bird poop on your head?

Would you rather give up your favorite food forever or television for 2 years?

Very Happy
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 06:45 am
Not really a fund raising idea but a good way to kick off the night.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 06:47 am
Oh and you can buy the book I got most of those questions from....

Called "Would you rather..." on Amazon.com
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 07:01 am
I think you should start a "Would you rather...." thread, Bella.

It will only enhance your popularity here on A2K.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 07:10 am
Visit as many places as possible and gather donated gift certificates, merchandise and coupons.

Set up a table with all of the items shown. In front of each have slips of paper for guests to write down their name and what they would bid for the item. They then fold the paper and drop it into the jar in front of the item.

At the end of the night, open each jar and determine the high bid for each item from the silent auction. If there is a tie, you can ask if either wants to bid more or let the other person have it for the high bid amount. Winner pays for the item and recieves it.

(I've seen people pay $50 for a $50 gift certificate, so don't think money amount certificates won't get significant bids, especially when they know it's for a charity they are supporting.)

Alternatively, you can have each person donate something of value that represents their generation and set up a silent auction using the guest donated items. You might get a signed Elvis LP, a cell phone, or any number of things of value that plays along with the generation theme.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 07:19 am
You can have each guest make a "My Generation" Gift Basket putting into it things that represent their generation. The baskets can then be presented as a silent auction as described above, or can be auctioned at the end of the night.

An 80's person might buy a 50's basket for their parents. A 50's person might buy an 90's basket for a grandchild, etc so there would be cross generational interest. Also, a 60's person might by a 70's basket for themselves because that was when they were a teen and remember the things in the basket being popular.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 07:36 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I think you should start a "Would you rather...." thread, Bella.

It will only enhance your popularity here on A2K.

Isn't there already one out there? If not....I am so your gal.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 07:37 am
squinney wrote:
Visit as many places as possible and gather donated gift certificates, merchandise and coupons.

Set up a table with all of the items shown. In front of each have slips of paper for guests to write down their name and what they would bid for the item. They then fold the paper and drop it into the jar in front of the item.

At the end of the night, open each jar and determine the high bid for each item from the silent auction. If there is a tie, you can ask if either wants to bid more or let the other person have it for the high bid amount. Winner pays for the item and recieves it.

(I've seen people pay $50 for a $50 gift certificate, so don't think money amount certificates won't get significant bids, especially when they know it's for a charity they are supporting.)

Alternatively, you can have each person donate something of value that represents their generation and set up a silent auction using the guest donated items. You might get a signed Elvis LP, a cell phone, or any number of things of value that plays along with the generation theme.

OOOO, good idea! A lot of places will be willing to donate to you if they know it is for a charity event.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 08:04 am
Thanks for ideas guys.I like the idea of a generation related questionaire, I suppose they can donate a few pence for each question they get wrong.

Bella you are already popular but start the thread anyway, I love those 'would you rather' things.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 08:46 am
material girl wrote:

Bella you are already popular but start the thread anyway, I love those 'would you rather' things.

Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Thanks....

Crazielady made one a while back....
0 Replies