Another intellectual gem by Victor Davis Hanson

kuvasz

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 01:55 pm
rayban1 wrote:
Doc
Could you please either delete those long urls or make them wrap around.........the page is stretched too wide.

i'm not seeing it on my screen, the urls are compact or short.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 02:07 pm
kuvasz wrote:
rayban1 wrote:
Doc
Could you please either delete those long urls or make them wrap around.........the page is stretched too wide.

Try this next time you post a URL...Go here...http://tinyurl.com/
and enter the URL you are copying.
It takes this...http://www.juancole.com/2005/01/mixed-story-im-just-appalled-by.html

And turns it into this...
http://tinyurl.com/4ktfy

Its the same URL,just shortened.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 02:10 pm
Why even bother doing that?

Hit the 'post reply' button, hit the 'URL' button, input the URL, and then put in a single word or whatever: Like this

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 02:11 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Why even bother doing that?

Hit the 'post reply' button, hit the 'URL' button, input the URL, and then put in a single word or whatever: Like this

Cycloptichorn

I wondered how that was done.
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 11:15 am
Doc

The poker game finally ended and I'm wiped out but I have found another VDH gem for you to dissect:

http://victorhanson.com/articles/hanson041505.html
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 07:51 pm
Another Hanson jewel. Thanks, Rayban.

The only reason Scowcroft, etal, get trotted out is that they're willing to criticize Dubya. That and the fact that they all have former titles in front of their names. Consider, though, their 'brilliant' foreign policies and just where they got us Smile

Hanson's title is spot on.
0 Replies

raymon

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 04:26 pm
kuvasz wrote:

And what was incorrect about Iran having more democracy than Iraq under Saddam, Egypt under Mubarak? The Sauds don't have elections of any significance, nor does Pakistan under Musharaf. Jordan and Syria are autocracies. Even post-Saddam Iraq held elections where the names of the candidates were not even on the ballots. At least Iranians could vote for candidates by name.

You get no argument from me that the 2004 elections in Iran was a step back from those in 2000 and 2003, but there is a form of democracy there that is not present in the aforementioned Arab nations. That was the direct point, viz., that there was at least some form of national democracy present in that area before Bush invaded Iraq, and if truth be told, the oppression of the Iranian mullahs from 2003 onward can be traced to their paranoia about pro-western dissidents and the US having a 250,000 man army on their eastern and western borders.

Iran's elections are in fact much more democratic than Egyptian one, which Iranians themselves are not aware of. As we can see from current elections, there is a real competition, and no one seems to win from the first round. Iran's former president gets almost 20%.
How is that be compared to Mubaraks 8x.x% of vote in "referenda" not elections.
After admitting presidential elections to the Egyptian presidential system, nothing is expected to change as well.

Edit [Moderator]: Link removed
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 07:53 pm
kuvasz wrote:
rayban1 wrote:
Doc

Different computers handle long urls differently. My wintel computer at work stretches the screen to accomodate them; my Mac at home breaks them up. As a favor to those who have stretchy screens, I recommend using the BBcode tags {url} and {/url}* to enclose the urls.

*replace {} with square brackets []
0 Replies