Is It Moral For Drs to Pay Repubs for Dr. of The Year Award?

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 06:31 am
Quote:

What are your thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 427 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 06:39 am
I find the entire concept revolting. To me a "Doctor of the Year" is one who is being recognized as superior in his field. It should have nothing to do with politics. The entire concept has sullied the idea of rewarding doctors for superior achievement.

Ain't anything sacred anymore??? Rolling Eyes

From the same article. Yeech!

Quote:
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 06:53 am
Besides the deceptiveness of the announcement to the Doctors, the fact that thousands of them are proudly (and deceptively) displayed in doctor's offices around the country really turned my stomach.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 07:02 am
squinney- My blood pressure is up. I am one of these people who check the credentials of doctors. I have a book that has honestly rated physicians. I think that it is so important that patients have a good measure of the quality of the physicians that they are thinking of using.

And now this.............................I am so incensed that I want to puke.

To think that the government has been the driving force to what is, IMO a SCAM!
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 07:23 am
You expected different from this government?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 07:43 am
My daughter is a writer. she has gone online a few times and posted some of her poetry. Next thing I know, she's getting a packet in the mail saying her poem is being published in a book (which she can purchase for $39) and she is also invited (at a cost of $xxxx.00) to attend a banquet in her honor.

Perhaps the Republicans are poets?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 07:49 am
Quote:
A vanity publisher (a.k.a. a book producer or book manufacturer) prints and binds a book at the author's sole expense. Costs include the publisher's profit and overhead, so vanity publishing is usually a good deal more expensive than self-publishing. The completed books are the property of the author, and the author retains all proceeds from sales. Vanity publishers do not screen for quality--they publish anyone who can pay--and provide no editing, marketing, warehousing, or promotional services.

http://www.sfwa.org/beware/subsidypublishers.html

Squinney- Vanity publishers have been around for eons. There are many people who would pay to have their works in print, and as long as the publishing company is "up front", I see no problem with it.

This deal with the doctors is another thing entirely. To acquire "bragging rights" about your expertise as a doctor, based on nothing more than a contribution to a political party, to me, is the height of immoral, if not illegal, advertising.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 07:56 am
No, what I meant was that the concept is the exact same thing. I didn't give all of the details, but it works exactly the same with the publisher keeping all of the profits. Also, EVERYONE that pays for a copy of the book gets published, so there's really no criteria for being published and having that as a bragging right. There's no "banquet in your honor" when you have to pay for it.

Wish I could remember the name of the company. Will likely come to me later.

Obviously, it is also much more serious when involving politicians and doctors,
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 08:04 am
Squinney- I think that the concept of the "diploma mill" is really on target. In these schools, people received an honor that they did not deserve, based on nothing more than writing a check to the school.

I hate to harp on this, but I feel very strongly that people need to get accurate, credible information about the individuals who are the guardians of their health. When the government itself becomes a party to deceptive advertising, I think that we are all in trouble.

I think that the big problem is the doctors using the "honor" as a marketing tool to impress their patients. That is so misleading, as to be unconscionable.

As for me, if I ever saw one of those certificates on the wall of any of MY doctors' offices, that would be the last time that I would darken his door. I would also make sure that all my friends and neighbors (we live in a small town) know about it!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 12:15 pm
I have this in the middle of the 'Trouble for Tom Delay' thread. Why? Because, friends and neighbors, guess who was instrumental in the formation of this plan - our good friend DeLay.

Scumbag. The MSM should be all over it, but of course, they aren't.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies