Best Robert De Niro performance

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 06:41 pm
In addition, De Niro has given much better performances for Scorcese and is identified with that director. In Kenneth Branaugh's expert hands in "Frankenstein," he comes off as a bum who just fell off a freight train car and scared up his face badly. Have no idea what happened there.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 08:32 pm
What do you think of Branaugh?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 02:35 am
I think Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson will go down in history as a couple of the best actors of our generation.Especially Emma, I think her portrayal of the wife in love Actually was priceless.Even in things like Peters Friends(also with Branagh)and Junior she is hypnotic.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 10:25 am
I loved the early Branaugh and think his Henry V is brilliant, better than LArry Olivier's which I find too romantic and overwrought. I loved a lot of his Shakespeare films, which had a light and modern touch. However, his last few films have become bombastic and overstuffed.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 12:35 pm
Branaugh is a born Shakespearean actor who, as plainoldme points out, carries the airs over into other dramatic and comedic works where it doesn't work so well. Only Shakespeare can write Shakespeare. It's a great career background to be able to play Shakespeare but it can overtake the actor when trying to play more ordinary people. Well, even his portrayal of Dr. Frankenstein became laughable in parts because of silly looking Shakespearean mannerisms, not to mention the silly looking beefcake image. Hollywood hunk as a mad scientist doesn't work.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 12:36 pm
(I do like his "Henry V" and "Hamlet" over any other version).
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 01:18 pm
Me, too, LW! Loved it!

I think sometimes a talented actor finds a role suited to their personality, or whatever, and I think How to Kill Your Neighbor's Dog was it for him. One of my favorite movies, though it gets cheesy at the end, the rest of it was ...<made me happy>...

What was that one he played a Southern atty in...? I need to re-rent. I vaguely remember thinking it was good...a Gothic mystery...?

Plainoleme-- Thanks for responding! Can you remember which you didn't like? I'll have to admit, I've only seen a few of his. (But, they made quitre an impression. Maybe if I see the ones you're talking about, he will slip down into human status for me...<ha>

Materialgirl-- I agree! Did you see Emma in Angels in America...and that movie with her mother...(really liked her in that...what was it...Winter Guest or something. I thought that was not your run of the mill outing. Was she in that nutty movie with Jeff Goldblum...something about being too tall? (A hoot!!)

I'd like to point out my memory is completely gone.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 01:34 pm
material girl beat me to it: I was gonna mention DeNiro as Pupkin in "King of Comedy"--DeNiro as obsessive fan. One of his quirkier roles, for sure.

But, hands down my faves are "Mean Streets" and "Good Fellas".
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 03:36 pm
I would have to agree on "Mean Streets" also at the top of the list.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 06:11 pm
That was the very first time that I recall seeing DeNiro. And, looking at his bio, I cannot believe that his first role after "Mean Streets" was the young Vito Corleone. I surely thought that he was more established by the time he did it but no. "Mean Streets" was 1973 and "The Godfather II" was 1974.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 08:08 pm
He did literally rocket into stardom. He put the space shuttle to shame.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 01:23 pm
While I really liked reading the novel Frankenstein, the movie Branaugh made of it was unwatchable, mostly because of his desire to be Orson Welles.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 01:40 pm
But, he's so cute...? And, a fabulous actor...?

?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 01:57 pm
Who? Branaugh? To be honest, I never got the big woo about him or his ex.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 02:02 pm
I liked the love scene in the movie Emma Thompson was in with that American actor (skinny guy formerly married to Gina Davis). They tore a room apart! It was wonderful!

I'm a big fan of Emma!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 02:02 pm
<sigh>

OK, sorry. Back to DeNiro.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 02:10 am
Lash-The film was called The Tall Guy.Emma was a nurse and Jeff Goldblum was an actor.Its a late 80's fim directed by Mel Smith.I think its main soundtrack song was 'It must be Love' by Madness.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 08:59 am
Emma was also outstanding in the multiple parts in "Angel in America" and especially The Angel even though Meryl Streep had the Emmy in the bag with her portrayal of Ethel Rosenberg and the disraught Mom who effectively changes her attitude towards homosexuality. But back to Robert.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 06:47 pm
The Tall Guy!!! I must see again..... (I LOVE Jeff Goldblum!!!)

OK.

Back to DeNiro...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 07:24 am
Has anyone posted his entire filmography?
0 Replies