Best Robert De Niro performance

Letty

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 01:04 pm
which one was that, Georgia? <saw Ray last night incidentally: excellent!)

Ah, yes. Now I remember another where DeNiro was a psycho baseball fan. I think that one was with Wesley Snipes. Has it been named?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 01:06 pm
Letty wrote:
which one was that, Georgia? <saw Ray last night incidentally: excellent!)

Ah, yes. Now I remember another where DeNiro was a psycho baseball fan. I think that one was with Wesley Snipes. Has it been named?

The Fan.

I remember when Bobby played one of the Magi in the school Christmas play in 4th. grade. I don't think he's ever topped that.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 01:08 pm
I think it was "Heat".
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 01:15 pm
Thanks, BVT, that was it.

Okay, just looked up Heat. What a combo of giants. Didn't see it though, because I hate it when my favs are bad guys.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 01:17 pm
Letty wrote:

Okay, just looked up Heat. What a combo of giants. Didn't see it though, because I hate it when my favs are bad guys.

was heat the de Niro/pacino one? where pacino killed de niro in the end?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 01:18 pm
Don1 wrote:
Lightwizard wrote:
"Raging Bull," "Goodfellas" and "Godfather."

I've got to go along with that choice, although he has made the odd film or two that I thought were very poor, most notably in my opinion was Cape Fear, I thought his performance in that was mediocre, but then again I thought the film was badly made altogether, Mitchums version was superior.

Agreed. Mitchum blew him away
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 01:19 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
Letty wrote:

was heat the de Niro/pacino one? where pacino killed de niro in the end?

Yes, and it wasn't very good. Go figure. You'd think with all that star power it would be amazing, but it was totally underwhelming for some reason.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 01:40 pm
Raging Bull is a remarkable movie. And yet when I chanced upon it flipping channels I couldn't bear to watch it again. Pesci and Moriarty were great in it also.

Awakenings was a slam dunk. Sorta like Rainman

I sort of liked him with Bill Murray in Mad Dog And Glory
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 02:01 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Well, yes, "Taxi Driver" is the fourth on my list even though I enjoyed the other three performances more that Don1 also endorses.

I think you may have misunderstood me there LW I thought your three choices were all exceptional films
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 12:01 am
Harold and Kumar!!!

We don't have nearly enough silly Asian and Indian stereotypical characters!!!

(I thought DeNiro did the worst Southern accent I've ever heard---except for the real one Dagan McDowell does as a reporter on FOXNews.)

Horrible.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 12:19 am
Cape Fear was his best work. He was also great in The Score with Edward Norton. Heat was a good movie but his performance was so-so.

His latest movies have been dog crap. Meet the Fockers. Pleez.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 09:52 am
I thought he blew it in "Cape Fear" -- too obviously over-the-top as the villain and the film had only an echo of the tension in the original. Mitchum built up the character as the movie progressed until the evil spilled over the dam and it's also one of Gregory Peck's greatest performances. De Niro broadcasted where the movie was going in the first reel. It was the nearly an aping in character as the Frankenstein monster.

Have to agree that his comedic outings are just box office gimmicks except for "Flawless" where he was highly convincing as the homophobic cop with a disability and it made it believable as he softened up to his drag queen singing instructor (played brilliantly as usual by Phillp Seymour Hoffman).
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 08:05 pm
there have been only a few performances than can equal deniro's in raging bull. and i can not think of any better except brando's on the waterfront.

deniro's performance was so violent, so powerful it appeared at times he actually lept off the screen in his rages. i was stunned the first time i watched the movie. i had never seen an actor so intense.

it was what acting is all about.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 05:58 am
Lightwizard wrote:
I thought he blew it in "Cape Fear" -- too obviously over-the-top as the villain and the film had only an echo of the tension in the original. Mitchum built up the character as the movie progressed until the evil spilled over the dam and it's also one of Gregory Peck's greatest performances. De Niro broadcasted where the movie was going in the first reel. It was the nearly an aping in character as the Frankenstein monster.

Oh come on, Max Cady was great.

Bludgeoning people while quoting scripture with that southern drawl "Counselor, I'm going to teach you about loss". Hardly telegraphed.

Never saw the original so I can't comment on that.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 08:43 am
My favorite is a relatively obscure film based on an F. Scott Fitzgerald novel, The Last Tycoon. He was so sympathetic there! And, in the last scene, when he walked away, he "acted with his back."

I also enjoyed him in Wag the Dog in which he played off the equally excellent Dustin Hoffman. Too bad they had the hysterical Anne Heche in the cast.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 08:49 am
He was amazing as Rupert Pupkin in King of Comedy, one of my favourite films.
Totally seperate from any character he has played before, he plays a comedian trying to hit the big time but goes about it in an unusual away, kidnapping Jerry Langford(played by the fab Jerry Lewis)so he can get on TV.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 08:56 am
I agree, not having seen the original of "Cape Fear," one is at a loss judging the new version. Anyone who hasn't seen it owes it to themselves to see it. The new version should pale in comparison and Mitchum being one of the most underrated actors in all of cinema delivers a finely tuned performance that manages to only reveal small insights into his character as the film progresses. De Niro to the audience is menacingly evil from the beginning of the film. I suppose that's to motivate the audience to think, "Look out for this guy, he's up to no good." I would not bother to even see the new version again yet I can watch the original time and again.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 09:04 am
BTW, Juliette Lewis stole the movie in the new version and upstaged De Niro in several scenes. I have no idea why Scorcese decided to remake this classic but it is his worst film. Which, incidentally, does not make it a bad film because it's Scorcese -- it's just slightly better than average as a dramatic thriller. The original is way up at the top of the list.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 05:35 pm
I thought Lewis was exceptional, as well. To me, the only plus in the Cape Fear remake. I'm a big DeNiro fan, but I was too distracted by his acting in CF. Mitchum was that character. I'd believe anything of him. He sort of defined amoral.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 06:38 pm
I think you're right -- De Niro had to work too hard chewing up the scenery at times to come off as the sickeningly amoral Max Cady. With Mitchum, it began with a deceptive undercurrent and gradually worked to a crescendo in the dynamic psychological horror of that ending. In the Scorcese version I was excited by the action but it left me unimpressed. One of the assessments by Mr. Ebert I don't agree with but, then, I don't believe Roger thinks Martin can do any wrong. Well, actually he gives the film three stars. He gave the original four stars.
0 Replies