Road Rage/ Have You Ever Given Into It?

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 07:08 pm
More and more, you hear stories about people acting out aggressively on the highways. This behavior has been even given a name. "road rage".

Have you ever given into road rage? What did you do? For me, when something really pisses me off on the road, I will usually curse under my breath. If I pass the offender, I will sometimes give them a dirty look, If I think that what they did was particularly obnoxious.

I would never retaliate in any stronger fashion for a number of reasons. First, I could get killed. Second, often elderly people do stupid things on the road, because of lack of judgement, or nervousness. I would never want to raise their anxiety level, and possibly cause them to have an accident.

What do YOU do when you get pissed off on the road?

Quote:
VANCOUVER, British Columbia (Reuters) - A woman has been arrested after she rammed a car into her neighbor's apartment in an apparent fight over a loud television, Canadian police said on Thursday.
The Penticton, British Columbia, woman got into her 1985 BMW after becoming upset with her neighbor and drove the car across the lawn and through some patio furniture before the vehicle hit the side of the building, police said.

There were no injuries in the incident that took place late on Wednesday, although the neighbor and a friend were inside the building watching television at the time of the crash. The vehicle received only minor damage.

The 36-year-old woman, whose name was not released, was being held in jail pending a court appearance.

Link to Road Rage Article
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,823 • Replies: 45
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 07:38 pm
I did once - and was deeply ashamed - not that I did anything but yell and look dumb!

I had been rear-ended by someone a couple of days before - and had just had my car fixed - someone was trying to change lanes without looking - and I could neither slow down nor speed up to let them in - traffic in my lane was at a snail's pace, and all I could do was use my horn.

I just became really angry.

What an idiot!!!

I would never do anything physical - I can become white-hot with anger without ever doing anything stupid - except verbally. D'oh.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 07:40 pm
I drive aggressive sometimes -but not with rage.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 07:42 pm
When much younger, I had a mild road rage at times. Now, I relax and drive. My brother in law has it bad. He and another fellow pulled off the road a few weeks ago. The other fellow put a gun in my bro in law's face. His wife's too. They were fortunate the fellow didn't feel murderous that night.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 08:00 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
When much younger, I had a mild road rage at times. Now, I relax and drive. My brother in law has it bad. He and another fellow pulled off the road a few weeks ago. The other fellow put a gun in my bro in law's face. His wife's too. They were fortunate the fellow didn't feel murderous that night.

An excellent reason to try and control road rage. Shocked
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 08:02 pm
I've honked and flipped the bird a few times since I've lived in the city. Usually, I just mutter and glare.... sometimes I rise above it.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 08:28 pm
I had a bad experience last year. I was in the second lane
from the right and a half a mile ahead of me was my exit to
the next freeway. I proceeded to change into the right
except there was this guy in camouflage uniform driving an
old beat up Mustang next to me and he wouldn't let me
in. When I drove slower, he got slower, when I accelerated,
he did too.

My car is fast so I hit the accelerator all the way down and
speed up cutting in front of him and down the exit ramp
into the next freeway. This guy followed me and was almost
up my bumpers, and I got quite frightened at this point.

I cut through several lanes and sped up to almost a 100 m/h
and I couldn't shake the guy off. He was either right next
to me, ready to bump me off the road or tailgating me.
I was speeding up in the left lane and shortly before my
exit came, I accelerated more, dangerously crossing several lanes
and barely made it to the on-ramp of my exit.

The guy in the Mustang crossed the lanes too but couldn't
quite make it to the exit, he instead drove off to the shoulder and I could see him backing up towards the exit. Luckily for me, my lights turned green, and I drove as fast as I could into the parking garage of our offices. I sat in my car for quite some time shaking and hyperventilating. After 10 minutes or so, I was finally able to walk into my office, but my knees were still shaking.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 08:32 pm
That's quite a story, Jane. Where the hell were the cops?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 08:35 pm
That's what I was thinking too gustav. For once in my life, I need them and none were around. I should have used my cell phone but I was shaking so much, I just could hold onto the steering
wheel.

Well, it taught me a valuable lesson.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 08:39 pm
Ever given into it? Nope. Life is too short to act ugly.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 08:41 pm
I know exactly the kind of person you're talking about. I was headed to the University one day and almost missed my exit. I had to make a quick lane-change to catch the exit and in the process I caused a motorist to slow down by perhaps a millisecond. But that millisecond must have been very precious to him because he turned in after me and started honking on his horn like he had just dicovered it. I could see the rage on his low-browed head and the middle finger being thrust toward me was actually quite comical. I pulled my car over, willing to confront the idiot, but he sped off, finger extended out the driver window as he disappeared into the mist.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 08:46 pm
I don't get angry, I carry a loaded 357 magnum. I live in New Mexico, everyone carries a loaded 357 magnum.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 08:48 pm
Scared of you.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 08:49 pm
dyslexia wrote:
I don't get angry, I carry a loaded 357 magnum. I live in New Mexico, everyone carries a loaded 357 magnum.

You have a permit for that?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 08:50 pm
You see, it can go so quickly, and if you want to or not,
you're involved into a road rage in no time.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 08:51 pm
Seems he thought you were Number 1 Gus :-)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 08:53 pm
husker wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

You have a permit for that?

I have a New Mexico Drivers License, is that what you mean?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 08:56 pm
concealed weapon permit - or you better unload
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 09:01 pm
not concealed, perfectly legal to carry a loaded firearm in new mexico and most of the southwest as well.(this isn't california)
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 09:02 pm
no kidding go figure - lol

I'll bring my 44 if I ever come to visit
0 Replies