Women of a certain age.

Diane

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 01:14 am
PFFFFFT!

The anesthesia and the morphine have left my system. I'm as clear as an old hippie from the sixties can possibly be.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 08:48 am
Hi there old hippie, long time no stardust!
Postponed my visit to the States for a while, though the dollar is so low I would be practically able to live on my pension over there!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 05:59 pm
Hi Clary! It's so good to see you.

Not only is the dollar favorable to almost every country in the world, New Mexico is generally quite reasonable, except for Santa Fe where all the movie stars have moved.

Anymore world travels? It was so funny getting a message from McTag that there was an Albuquerque (port?) in India.

I hope you'll be able to post more regularly--I'm one to talk, at times I'm off for several weeks.

BTW, I've been swimming in Mexico where you left a trail of star dust behind as you swam through the water. It was magical.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 06:03 pm
Glad you're feeling so much better, Diane, and that you're drug-free. Are you on any meds?

Clary, keep in touch when planning your travels. I'm busy until March and if I don't start work until a bit later, would love to hook up. I thought of doing a US trip and would love some company.

How did you find Dubai? I worked with a fellow who was born and raised there and heard some interesting gossip about the place. And there was a pretty good documentary on it the other night on telly. I'm curious to know how you found it. Did you go skiing? Very Happy
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 06:16 pm
Back to the intent of this thread (which is beautiful), is it just me or are all us older women looking better than they did at the same age a generation or so ago?

I remember 50 as looking rather frumpy and passe... I'll be 50 next year and I feel 35.

Whatever! Green Witch's post on page 2 or 3 is exactly how I feel. We're becoming more confident and sage with each passing year. I wouldn't want to go back and do any of those years again - I like today and tomorrow.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 11:37 pm
Mame, I think the general consensus is that older women have developed more self-confidence and we take better care of ourselves and feel a freedom that our mothers and grandmothers never experienced.

Yes, drug free thank heaven. It took the anesthesia and the morphine about a week to dissipate. As soon as that happened, my brain started to function again. Thank god for Dys and Osso for being there as I was in no condition to make any decisions--it was actually frightening to feel so addled and to have the reaction time of a zombie.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 11:43 pm
Mame, I've taken up my travel thread again, http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2968261#2968261 is the latest post... still in Dubai, have been here just over a week, and have rented a car next week intending to drive to Oman and stay there to see what there is to see.

Not sure yet about spring/summer travel but it's much more likely to be Europe than USA, I think, I have friends to visit - and relations-to-be in Czech!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 11:51 pm
Diane wrote:
Hi Clary! It's so good to see you.

Not only is the dollar favorable to almost every country in the world, New Mexico is generally quite reasonable, except for Santa Fe where all the movie stars have moved.

Anymore world travels? It was so funny getting a message from McTag that there was an Albuquerque (port?) in India.

How the hell do you remember that? Gratified though I am to learn that people actually do read my posts.

It was only a fish-landing quay though, in Kochi, where the notice caught my eye:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/Tags1/115_1516.jpg
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 12:07 am
Oh McTag, you have no idea how struck I was seeing an Albuquerque in India. I did some checking-no longer remember source--and I think the two Albuquerques might have been related although from different generations. Albuquerque in the US is called the Duke City after the Duke of Albuquerque, one of the Spanish royals sent to New Mexico to settle and to, probably, try to eradicate the Native Americans.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 12:09 am
Lanting of fish has been carried on by the Albuquerque residents for generations. First the fish are caught, and kept alive in round wooden (now plastic) tanks (known as tonks). The fish are fed a special diet of luminous plankton for eighteen days, after which the fish will acquire the ability to glow at will. These lanted fish are turned into lanterns (known as landerns) and used in Hindu rituals to illuminate the Sea-God Codswallop's progress through the streets of Albuquerque, thus ensuring plentiful catches for the coming year.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 12:13 am
Clary, that sounds unbelievably beautiful. Do you have any photos?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 07:33 am
It's just amazing what you can learn on A2K.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 10:12 am
That does sounds extremely beautiful.

And nice to see McTag, Diane and Clary all together here!

Coming back to age - last Saturday we went to a rock concert in our little town. A couple of girls were advertising a gym and asked me whether I wanted to win a one month membership. I said no but did compare biceps with one of these girls (to show her I didn't need to go there :wink: ). She found that hers was a big as mine. I agreed and said 'oh and by the way, I am 45'. It was very funny to watch her face Laughing
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 10:59 am
Way to go, urs!!

McT, I hope nobody took fish lanting seriously Very Happy
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 11:41 am
Urs, what a woman! You are one of the few people I know who actually enjoys working out. Believe me, it shows.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 11:44 am
Well I certainly wouldn't want to argue with urs53.

I thought the Hindu lantern fish ceremony was very good, Clary. It deserved to be believed.

Smile
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 11:54 am
Thank you my duck Laughing
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 12:57 am
Diane wrote:
Oh McTag, you have no idea how struck I was seeing an Albuquerque in India. I did some checking-no longer remember source--and I think the two Albuquerques might have been related although from different generations. Albuquerque in the US is called the Duke City after the Duke of Albuquerque, one of the Spanish royals sent to New Mexico to settle and to, probably, try to eradicate the Native Americans.

I did some research on this. The Kochi guy was not a Spanish duke, but a Portuguese admiral following in the wake of Vasco da Gama.

Quote:
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 09:10 am
I shall look out for traces of him in Goa, when I go later this month.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 09:00 pm
Finally heard from my cousins after the ice storms in Massachusetts; everyone is fine. One sent me this and I immediately thought of this thread while reading it.

Quote:
Time passes.
Life happens.
Distance separates.
Children grow up.

Jobs come and go.
Love waxes and wanes.
Men don't do what they're supposed to do.

Hearts break.
Parents die.
Colleagues forget favors.
Careers end.

BUT.........
Sisters are there,
no matter how much time and how
many miles are between you.
A girl friend is never farther away
than needing her can reach.

When you have to walk that lonesome valley and you
have to walk it by yourself, the women in your life
will be on the valley's rim, cheering you on,
praying for you, pulling for you, intervening on
your behalf, and waiting with open arms at the
valley's end.

Sometimes, they will even break the rules and walk
beside you...Or come in and carry you out.
Girlfriends, daughters, granddaughters,
daughters-in-law, sisters, sisters-in-law, Mothers,
Grandmothers, aunties, nieces, cousins, and extended
family, all bless our life!

The world wouldn't be the same without women, and
neither would I. When we began this adventure called
womanhood, we had no idea of the incredible joys or
sorrows that lay ahead. Nor did we know how much we
would need each other.
Every day, we need each other still.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 04:50:18