Women of a certain age.

Diane

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 05:25 pm
On the late, lamented abuzz, there was a thread on older women. They began to call themselves the "Crones" in honor of the triple goddess.
The concept of the Great Goddess as The Triple Goddess, young woman (Maiden), birth-giving matron (Mother), and an old woman (Crone), dates from the earliest ages of mankind. (These attributes were also ascribed to the three phases of the moon; the Maiden, which corresponds to the new moon; the Mother, which corresponds to the full moon; and the Crone, which is the waning moon. Crone, referring to the goddess, wasn't used in a derogatory way, but as a term of respect.

This thread is for anyone who would like to read or add her or his ideas to our forum. Now that I am 62 years old, I have found that life is better than ever. Our past influences how we live and how we adapt to life. What has made you what you are now, whether young, middle aged or older. Chronological age doesn't matter. If you are an old soul at 25, let us know how you acquired such wisdom at such a tender age.

The main theme is on older women, but don't let that restrict your desire to respond. Older women, though, have to face a number of things that they never considered as they were growing into middle age. Here are a few humorous quotes that give a good insight into being older, including the problems combined with the wonderful, accepting, ironic humor most of us acquire later in life.

Inside every older lady is a younger lady -- wondering what the hell
happened. -Cora Harvey Armstrong-

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her
up with cookies.

The hardest years in life are those between ten and seventy. Helen Hayes (at 73)-

I refuse to think of them as chin hairs. I think of them as stray eyebrows.
-Janette Barber-

Things are going to get a lot worse before they get worse. -Lily Tomlin-
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 16 • Views: 24,263 • Replies: 470

littlek

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 05:59 pm
I liked those threads. What was I called, a cronelette?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 06:10 pm
Oh sweetie, you are still a ripe young thing.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 06:11 pm
A ripe young premenopausal thing. I had a nickname there on the crone threads. I don't think cronelette was it..... maybe Beth'll remember.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 06:12 pm
Chin hairs aside, don't you love Andy Rooney?

Andy Rooney On Older Women

Older Women Andy Rooney says, "As I grow in age, I value older women most of all. Here are just a few reasons why."

An older woman will never wake you in the middle of the night to ask, "What are you thinking?" She doesn't care what you think.

An older woman knows herself well enough to be assured in who she is, what she is, what she wants and from whom. Few women past the age of 50 give a damn what you might think about her.

An older single woman usually has had her fill of "meaningful relationships" and commitment." The last thing she needs in her life is another dopey, clingy, whiny, dependent lover!

Older women are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you if they think they can get away with it.

Most older women cook well. They care about cleanliness and are generous with praise, often undeserved.

An older woman has the self-assurance to introduce you to her women friends.

A younger woman with a man will often ignore even her best friend because she doesn't trust the guy with other women. Older women couldn't care less.

Women get psychic as they age. You never have to confess your sins to an older woman. They always know.

An older woman looks good wearing bright red lipstick. This is not true of younger women or drag queens.

Once you get past a wrinkle or two, an older woman is far sexier than her younger counterpart. Her libido's stronger, her fear of pregnancy gone.

Older women are forthright and honest. They'll tell you right off you are a jerk if you are acting like one.

Yes, we praise older women for a multitude of reasons. Unfortunately, it's not reciprocal. For every stunning, smart, well-coifed babe of 70 there is a bald, paunchy relic in yellow pants making a fool of himself with some 22 year old waitress.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 06:27 pm
An interesting topic, Diane. Ben Franklin wrote a whole treatise on the virtues of romancing an older woman, whether it's her greater knowledge, wisdom and practical skills (every knack, being by practice capable of improvement, ) or the last reason, they are so grateful.

It just occurred to me, that I have never really loved anyone, and that no one has really ever loved me. That doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would, and that is the strangest part of all. I don't really think it has to do with being older, either. Young people feel the same way, and that is what is disconcerting.

I really want to know who people are--simple as that, I think.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 06:56 pm
Letty, I know several people here on a2k who love and treasure you. If you are speaking romantically, why do you think that love has never come your way?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 06:57 pm
Diane wrote:
Letty, I know several people here on a2k who love and treasure you. If you are speaking romantically, why do you think that love has never come your way?

Yeah, and I am one of them, Letty! Very Happy
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 07:21 pm
Ah, sweet Phoenix and Diane. I was entirely too young when I got married. It was what one was supposed to do. I was the baby in my family, and wasn't expected. It is no one's fault, you understand, it just was. I'm not whining, just realizing for the first time, that things are as they are. I regret that I have never traveled, however, and now that I have the means, I can't.

I'm fine. I love keeping in contact with all of you here at A2K, just as I did on Abuzz. It was my intent when I started the thread on WA2K radio to try and understand other countries, and how other people thought and felt.

It shattered me when Cav died. It dismays me that I can no longer write poetry, but as someone once told me, that's life.

I just heard from a good friend in Northern Ireland and am encouraged by the fact that he and his wife are well.

Hey, yawl. Us rural gals will survive, right?

with love from Letty/Bets
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 07:23 pm
Ya better believe it, Letty. One thing that us old broads have is staying power. We have all been through a lot of crap in our lives, have lived through it, and learned from it!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 07:27 pm
http://www.literarybent.com/photo_gallery_two/images/040.jpg

my favourite fictional old broad (Mother Mucca from Tales of the City)
as portrayed by one of my favourite real-life old broads

<any old broad who loves my dogs IRL is aces>

Mulling on women, aging, survival and love.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 07:40 pm
ehBeth, you precious thing. My sister wrote me after her eye surgery, and told me that her adopted dog had been killed. No more pets for me, honey. I love them like children. I laugh when I think about my reputation with my students. One confided in me that every kid in elementary school knew how easily I cried. "Why Mrs. Letty even cried when a dog was killed." Razz

I keep looking in the mirror and saying, "Hey, girl. You aren't too bad, but what happened to that skinny vocalist."
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 07:46 pm
Indeed, Phoenix. I've yet to be confronted with your illness, but I really have looked in the face of God, whoever he/she is, and made it through the worst of times.

My word, gals. I gotta eat. Love you all.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 08:19 pm
Phoenix, you said it--we have learned and that is what makes this time in life so very livable. We have learned that we can survive almost anything thrown our way. The wisdom of older women is a beautiful thing.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 08:21 pm
A male gynecologist is like an auto mechanic who never owned a car. -Carrie Snow-

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you cry with your girlfriends. -Laurie Kuslansky-

My second favorite household chore is ironing. My first being, hitting my head on the top bunk bed until I faint. -Erma Bombeck-

Old age ain't no place for sissies. -Bette Davis-
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 08:23 pm
Oh my - no male gents to tip a hat to the ladies yet?

here goes .................... Laughing
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 08:29 pm
Thanks, Husker. Men are certainly welcome here, they are what makes us so, well, happy, sad, mad, excited, anxiety ridden, joyous, madder 'n hell, all muchy with love, blushing, red with frustration, giggly...........
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 08:43 pm
I will turn 50 on my next birthday. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I don't have any overwhelming worries about life passing me by or anything like that but I somehow feel like I should 'feel' something about it. I turned 40 without any hoopla or misgivings and I expect 50 to be the same.

There was a day a while back when I looked in the mirror and a 42 year old woman looked back at me. I didn't know where she'd come from, but I got used to seeing her. There was the day my brother walked his daughter down the aisle for her wedding and I didn't think any of us were old enough for that event. There was another day, not too long after, when I realised I was more concerned about my mother than she was about me. And another day, shortly after she passed away, when I realised I was an orphan. Even at 45, it was strange being part of the oldest generation.

Diane, my church has a women's group that holds croning ceremonies. I used to think it was strange but from what I hear they are wonderful. I should go sometime and check it out.

I don't know how much I'll have to offer this group but, if nothing else, I hope to read along.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 09:16 pm
J_B, your post was lovely! I remember my mother saying that in the morning, when she looked into the mirror, she was amazed to see an old lady. She felt wonderful and energetic and couldn't believe that face in the mirror was hers. I didn't understand what she was talking about until about five years ago. That is when I really started to show my age--looking tired even when I was feeling plenty energetic.

Age never held anything fearsome for me, but when I turned fiftey, I did look at my life and think about what I had accomplished. Mixed feeling, but I felt good about most of what I had done.

Do visit the crones at your church. Women, I think, have a special bond at any age, but it becomes almost psychic as we age. We are a little like witches in the most incredible way.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 09:41 pm
Well, I will only turn 29 this year, but I have been feeling middle-aged for a long time now. Maybe not a good thing, maybe not a bad thing either. Dunno, I just feel misplaced. If I could pass for an honorary crone, I'd be most satisfied, I think. Then I'll try to go and 'seek male company' like my mother, a family therapist, urges me to. Sigh. My own mother!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Women of a certain age.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/16/2024 at 12:44:30