Women of a certain age.

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 06:31 pm
Thanks. It pretty much sums up my life.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 06:36 pm
Dasha, are we still on for our little bike ride tomorrow?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 06:37 pm
FreeDuck, old enough to be your mother maybe, but I know about your mother, so I promise to behave myself....

Gus, you left the swamp to visit with all the crones and cronelets? Gee whiz, I'll have to bake some of my special brownies!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 06:38 pm
<sure, kris. let's shoot for around 11am - i'll be up late tonight working...>
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 06:38 pm
Even in the swamp, you may have heard of my Alice B. Toklas brownies. Haven't made those since San Francisco in the 60's sweetie, but I'll find those special ingredients and bake some just for you. I love swamp men and scruffy old cowboys.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 06:47 pm
Roberta wrote:
.... Now I focus on what's important to me. The rest be damned.

Yes & amen! Very Happy
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 07:04 pm
Quote:
you may have heard of my Alice B. Toklas brownies. Haven't made those since San Francisco in the 60's sweetie,

Whoa, I like THOSE kinda brownies, too. I was livin in San-Fran-cisco in the 50's and the 60's...
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 09:44 am
Diane
I will be 76 in July and have discovered that I finally fit in. I was always different, thought differently than my peers---all of my life. Now I seem to have found a niche that is comfortable---at last.

BBB
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 10:01 am
Re: Diane
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
I will be 76 in July and have discovered that I finally fit in. I was always different, thought differently than my peers---all of my life. Now I seem to have found a niche that is comfortable---at last.

BBB

I think this might be "survival of the fittest" in action. :wink:
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 10:17 am
I like older women because they are not frightened of me like younger girls are.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 10:32 am
Girls, this is great reading and I feel like many of you do. I am 43 now and I like life and myself better than ever. I am doing things I wouldn't have dared to do some years ago. I am much more relaxed, I don't care so much about what others think, I usually don't care too much about what others do.

And when I look at you ladies who are a couple of years older than me - I am looking forward to all that's still to come.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 02:16 pm
BBB, you are a survivor! That bumblebee sig line is for real. Now that I have had the pleasure of getting to know you, I realize just what a wonder you are.

Kara, the brownies were just amazing. Wish we could find the same house and have a party. It was a beautiful Victorian that we were paying almost nothing for because the entire neighborhood was being torn down to add on to the hospita. It had a gorgeous view of the bay, all that wonderful hand carved wood and a real wood-burning stove! Ah, the parties we used to have.....

Hey, blueveinedthrobber, even a bvt from Roswell doesn't scare me! I love being with people of all different ages.

One thing Ive never understood is older people living in retirement communities. I'd be suididal within months if I had to spend all my time with people of the same generation. Gated communities are another form of seclusion that I abhor.

The downside includes menopause and aching bones, but those are just fine if it means I can feel as good as I do. Other than taking on the nick name of Our Lady of Perpetual Menopause, I feel better than I did at 35. Life is sooooo good.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 11:41 am
Quote:
That, to me, has been an epiphany.

An epiphany! Diane! I feel miles away from that, today, but I trust the process (as if there is a choice) may eventually take me there.

Quote:
they seem to be aware of the wonder in their lives.

Aware of the wonder…how marvellous to spy that! A timely reminder for me. I enjoyed my evening constitution last night…a stroll by the lake …I remembered to breathe. Silly that. Having to remind one self to be conscious!

The other option is a liberal dose of fuc*itall, which isn't necessarily as bad as it sounds if you're guilt motivated, as I sometimes am.

Anyway. Watching. Learning. Some very strong personalities on this board. Much to admire.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 02:12 pm
How could I have missed this thread? Wonderful idea, Diane.

From Dorothy Parker:

INDIAN SUMMER

In youth, it was a way I had
To do my best to please,
And change, with every passing lad,
To suit his theories.

But now I know the things I know,
And do the things I do;
And if you do not like me so,
To hell, my love, with you!
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 12:26 pm
Noddy - nice one

It made me think of another poem and I searched for a bit before discovering it wasn't written by Dorothy Parker, but rather, Jenny Joseph:

Warning

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandles, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick flowers in other people's gardens
And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickle for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 04:29 pm
The above inspired The Red Hat Society:

http://www.redhatsociety.com/
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 06:19 am
Green Witch, I toured around that site - I only heard of them this year.

It looks like a riot until I imagine myself a member and then, for some reason, I start to cringe.

I need help. Laughing
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 06:23 am
Book mark
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 07:15 am
Gautam! :wink:
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 11:52 am
Joeblow--

Part of your trouble with the Red Hats may be the group approach to individuality.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 08:17:57