Here's pie in your eye!

DrewDad

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 12:43 pm
Activist hit by pie at Butler lecture

A conservative activist who criticizes what he calls the leftist domination of college campuses was struck with a pie Wednesday night at Butler University.

David Horowitz, president of the Center for the Study of Popular Culture, had just started a lecture at Butler when he was hit.

Horowitz's supporters followed the assailants out of the hall, and confronted them with what a witness called "pushing and shoving." However, the attackers got away.

"There's a wave of violence on college campuses, committed by what I'd call fascists opposing conservatives," Horowitz said. "It's one step from that to injury."

After the incident, Horowitz completed his lecture.

It was the second time in a week that a conservative lecturer was hit by a pie at an Indiana university. On March 30, William Kristol, editor of The Weekly Standard, was attacked during a speech at Earlham College in Richmond.

Butler spokesman Marc Allan called Wednesday's incident "deplorable."

http://www.indystar.com/images/pics2/image-235034-1250.jpg
David Horowitz, president of the Center for the Study of Popular Culture, had just started a lecture at Butler when he was hit by a pie. -- Kevin O'Neal / For The Star

By Kevin O'Neal
[email protected]
April 7, 2005
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 574 • Replies: 6
No top replies

nimh

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 04:19 pm
Hmm - we had this action group here in Holland that engaged in "pieing" politicians who implemented right-wing politics. A couple of prominent "successes" included then-VVD leader (and later European Commisioner) Frits Bolkestein. But they upped the ante when they "pied" Pim Fortuyn, upon his rise to fame, with a pie that was filled with nasty stuff: vomit, urine, feces. Even that was still made light of at the time, but suddenly looked a lot worse when he was shot a month later: this picture for one suddenly looked ominous in retrospect.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 04:28 pm
I would agree that pieing with that nasty stuff is definitely an escalation.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 04:29 pm
I can understand the frustration some kids must feel about blowhards like Horowitz, but it ain't OK. Free speech and all that...
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 04:32 pm
I can understand the frustration some kids feel when they aren't even allowed to ask Bush a question in a public forum unless it is totally scripted. It ain't OK, but it happens all the time anyway...

You would think that a public official would be held accountable to the public's scrutiny, and would be smart and intelligent enough to address the American constituent regardless of party affiliation or political ideologies...

So, yea. I can certainly understand the frustration some of these kids must feel, as those who are smart enough are witnessing the destruction of American democracy and federalism as we know it....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 04:34 pm
Pie 'em.
Just make sure it's spread around evenly.

http://www.undercurrents.org/pie.htm

Quote:
As diverse in philosophy as in geography and structure, this movement comprises freedom-loving people with a sense of aplomb and gastronomics.

Quote:
One aspect of this new campaign is nothing gets hurt except the image and ego of the targets.

I'm not sure why, but it seems to be part of a pretty basic tradition here. It's been going on as long as I've been following politics (close to 40 years now). A good basic cream pie seems most popular.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 04:43 pm
I'm marvelling at the number of google hits I got on "politicians" + "pies" + "Canada".

This was an interesting overview of the current movement

http://www.entartistes.ca/Gazette310199.html

Quote:
Ottawa- the humble pie is filled with political meaning for Les Entartistes, tart-tossing activists who on Jan. 18 struck again in Montréal.

Their victim was Pierre Pettigrew, the immaculately coiffed federal human-resources minister, whose pie-struck picture -gasping in shock, his face dripping whipped cream- stared from newspapers across the country.

It was another success in Les Entartistes' crusade to paste the pompous with that staple of slapstick, the cream pie. Their victims include Sylvester Stallone, mashed at the opening of his Planet Hollywood restaurant; Montreal Mayor Pierre Bourque and Alliance Quebec president William Johnson. But Les Entartistes (it roughly translates as "the em-piers") are just warming to their cause.

<snip>

Pettigrew, victimized at a Montreal news conference, decided not to press charges. "The minister has a very good sense of humour and, as he said when the pie was thrown, he loves dessert but not so early in the day," said Pettigrew spokesman Bridgit Nolet.

Quote:
Is pie in the face a violent act or a comedic one? Lowbrow terrorism or political satire? The jury in San Franscisco deliberated for more than a day on that question, ultimately sticking to the letter of the law, wich in California states that battery constitutes any "offensive touching".

Last month in Belgium, a court fined those responsible for the Brussels attack that creamed Microsoft chairman Bill Gates. Two tossers were found guilty of "mild violence". Two pie-throwing cases are pending in the U.S., including the pieman who plastered Monsanto's Smith.

No one in Canada has been charged for pie-throwing, but an RCMP spokesman said the act constitutes an offence. "In my books, it's assault," said RCMP Sergeant Mike Gaudet.

Pope-Tart regards the recent court decision as attacks on democratic expression. "A society that cannot tolerate its own court jester is heading in a dangerous direction," he said.

The pie-tossing movement, wich originated with Belgium's Entartistes, has "cells" in Montreal, San Franscisco, New York City, Eugene, Ore., and London.

for those who don't follow Canadian politics, they have been pie-ing to the slightly left of centre as well as the right of centre
0 Replies