what right does she have at seventeen

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 11:25 pm
My little sister turned seventeen of february 16 and know she thinks she has the right to do whatever she wants. She always complains about not being able to go out like a normal teen. what she still doesn't realize that its her fault that thing are the way they are. see at the age of 14 she began have sex and a year later my mom found out and she wasn't going to stand for it so she sent her away to a bording school in St. Louis. and when she came back my mom has tried to keep a good eye on her. Well her and my mother never got along and now my mother is just so feed up w/ it that she doesn't treat her like a daughter. and well thats why im here trying to look for someone who can help me i need to know if its possible thast she can move w/ her father even though he hasn't payed child support in over 17 yrs. so does she have the right to do that ? without my mother being able to do anything about it? Rolling Eyes Question
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 437 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 03:24 am
What's the hurry? In less than a year she can move out on her own, get a job, pay for her own education, pay her own rent, buy her own groceries and be as free as a bird.

She should start saving now from her job or if she isn't working she needs to get a job. She needs to start looking for an apartment complex that will rent to an emancipated teen, it shouldn't be a problem in California, it is a problem in some other states, and find out how many months of deposit she will have to have in order to move in and how much renter's insurance is.

She will have to buy a lot of stuff just for living, kitchen stuff -silverware, bowls, dishs, cooking pots and pans- and she will need to see if her mom will let her take the bed or anything else with her.

Perhaps the best thing she can do is make a budget, see how much it will cost her to live a year on her own and then plan out how much to save to have some kind of cushion.

One thing the two of you can do is get a lawyer. The two of you need to sue your father directly for past child support. He owes you each about $50,000.00, maybe more That should be enough for a lawyer to take the case for a percentage.

Meanwhile, do what you can to help both your mom and sister calm down. Your sister's just anxious to get on with her grownup life. Next February you can help her move out.

Joe(oh, and tell her no sex without protection)Nation
0 Replies