Flying to the US? Give the US govt all your personal data

frolic

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 12:44 pm
The European Commission has tamely agreed to airlines handing over personal details of all passengers flying to the US, in the name of 'homeland security.' These details could include all sorts of stuff the airline happens to have on record for you, including credit card numbers, phone numbers, special dietary requirements, and any other comments it has entered on the Passenger Name Record (PNR).

Naturally all of this other stuff filling the optional fields on the PNR is not what the US requires, but one could reasonably doubt whether a government currently hooked on mass profiling could possibly bring itself to throw it away. The primary objective of the system, which was implemented as part of the US Enhanced Border Security and Visa Entry Act of 2002, is for information on passengers flying to the US to be made available to the US authorities by 15 minutes after departure, and for information to be supplied for the return leg 15 minutes before.

So they can basically figure out who's on the plane, run checks on them, spot likely terrorists, have bags ready for illegals. Actually, if the system works as specified then it should mean you can just walk off the plane (unless you're a terrorist or an illegal) and straight onto the street, rather than joining an hour-long tailback at LAX immigration. I fear, however, that this will somehow not happen in real life.

There are problems with the Commission's decision not just because of what's happening to all the information the US doesn't require, but is going to get anyway, but also with what's happening to the information, full stop.

Europe theoretically has firm laws governing collection of personal data, and restrictions on the export of personal data to countries whose law does not match European standards. US law most certainly does not do this, but Europe's law has nevertheless been subverted by a series of US-EU fudges. What protection is there for the data covered by the latest agreement? The Commission feels that the US assurances are "sufficient."

If you look here, you'll see there's a requirement for law enforcement agencies to share information through an interoperable database and for a further ratchet - "change requirements for the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) to specify that participating countries must incorporate biometrics that meet international standards in their passports by October 26, 2004." So next year the US will require biometrics too.

Granted, as you may have spotted from the URL, the context here is Chinese aliens, specifically students, but it's all part of the same big picture. The "electronic tracking system to be established by INS [Immigration and Naturalisation Service]" is actually the system using PNRs. But what about "provide for closer monitoring... establish... a transitional program that will track students and exchange visitors" until it's up and running? More, please, on the INS student-tracking system, dear readers. Does it wear raincoats?

At time of writing the lead newslink at the US Customs site was to an AP report taking a fairly positive line on the deal. It's "transitional," says the Commission, until there's permanent legislation agreed at the European end.

This however massively understates the nature of the row that preceded the deal. Without it, airlines not submitting the information would have been in breach of US law, while airlines submitting it would have been in breach of EU law. A somewhat less positive story in the Guardian says the US threatened to stop flights altogether. On the one hand just laughing would seem an adequate response to such a threat, but on the other, if neither side had climbed down, then it wouldn't actually have been possible for flights to take off. So the threat was there, and given that the US just did it and demanded compliance (as s so often the case) maybe that counts as threatening.

Anyway, US immigration starts getting your credit card details and any comments the airline might have on you (from kibbitzing at check-in terminal screens, we note these can be quite hurtful), and sharing it with whoever, as of March 5th. US citizens probably won't need to worry, as they probably have all of this stuff on you already. Non-EU and non-US citizens, probably ditto. Further details, plus the full US manifest requirements, are available at Statewatch.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,044 • Replies: 7
No top replies

steissd

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 01:13 pm
I believe that the U.S. government will not abuse my credit card number, if it gets such an information. I am not a terrorist, and I do not plan illegal immigration to the USA, so I have nothing to worry about. The ones that are, should worry. These new U.S. entrance rules do not affect loyal citizens, but they may help to inetrcept potential terrorists (the latter may try to buy raw materials for making explosives, or to pay for some flight courses using the credit cards with numbers being monitored by the U.S. governmental bodies).
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 03:55 pm
Re: Flying to the US? Give the US govt all your personal dat
frolic wrote:
Granted, as you may have spotted from the URL..

What URL? You didn't include one in your post.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 09:27 am
steissd wrote:
I believe that the U.S. government will not abuse my credit card number, if it gets such an information. I am not a terrorist, and I do not plan illegal immigration to the USA, so I have nothing to worry about. The ones that are, should worry. These new U.S. entrance rules do not affect loyal citizens, but they may help to inetrcept potential terrorists (the latter may try to buy raw materials for making explosives, or to pay for some flight courses using the credit cards with numbers being monitored by the U.S. governmental bodies).

That is not correct.

Benjamin Franklin was a very wise man and once said:

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Today, Freedom has taken a back seat to paranoia.

Recently a man was kept off a flight because of a book he was carrying.
This is his story

It has become unpatriotic to even ask questions about such measures.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 09:42 am
frolic
I can solve your problem. Don't come to the US. We may find it difficult but we will try to find a way to survive without you.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 09:46 am
I'm sure that the federal agencies monitoring my credit cards will see that I'm a very good spender, thus leaving money in their economy...and I love shopping!
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 09:49 am
au1929, you really surprise me with yr superior attitude !!

And note, it is not only the US.

More information on this..

Access to airline booking records (PNR's)
For the US and other Governments.

With effect from Wednesday 5 March 2003 all airlines operating services to the United States will be required to provide the US border control agencies, specifically the US Customs Service, with access to passenger information held by Airlines. This is now a legal requirement under US law. We fully expect other Governments to request access to such data in the months ahead and indeed the Australian Government already has similar measures in place.

Passengers therefore need to be told at the time of booking that any information that airlines hold about them will be made available to the US Government and any others who adopt the same or similar policies. The following wording will be used to inform bookers and travellers about this requirement at the time of booking:

"Please note that all airlines are required by new laws introduced in the US and other countries to give border control agencies access to passenger data. Accordingly any information the airline holds about you and your travel arrangements may be disclosed to the customs and immigration authorities of any country in your itinerary.

We require you to positively consent to this".

Here are some questions & answers:

What data do the airlines hold about me that may be accessed?

Airlines hold data about you that is necessary to fulfill the traveling needs of their customers. This will obviously include flight and booking details and passenger names. It may also include payment details, contact information and any special assistance requests or requirements (e.g. special meals, boarding assistance, medical condition etc).

Who will the data be passed to and who will it be shared with?

The data will be given to the Border Control authorities, for example, Customs of countries that have a legal right to acquire the data. They may share it with other enforcement authorities for the purposes of preventing and combating terrorism and other serious criminal offences.

What if I refuse permission to release my data to the authorities?

If you are flying to or through a country that requires the information, the airline will have to cancel your reservation and will be unable to carry you to, or through that country.

Which countries have legislation to permit access to my data?

At present, there is legislation in Australia, Canada, UK, and the USA requiring carriers to grant access to passenger information. Other countries may follow in the future.

What will the authorities be using the data for?

Data is used for enforcement purposes, including use in threat analysis to identify and interdict potential terrorists, and other threats to national and public security; and to focus government resources on high risk concerns, thereby facilitating and safeguarding bona-fide travelers.

Are my credit card details included?

If payment has been made by credit card and this data is included in your passenger information record, the authorities may view details.

How long will data be held for?

Each country should hold the data for no longer than is required for the purpose for which it was stored.

Is this different to the current APIS (Advance Passenger Information System) procedures?

This is related to APIS. At present airlines have to supply certain information to the US authorities electronically about passengers both for flights to the United States and flights from the United States. This includes full name, passport number etc. Later this year the amount of APIS information required will be extended to include all of the data currently included on US Landing Cards (e.g. Visa Waiver Forms). In addition airlines now have to supply access to the PNR data alongside APIS data.

Is the passing of this information contrary to Data Protection legislation?

It is a legal requirement for airlines to allow access to this information to the US authorities. There have been discussions between the US and the EU to deal with any Data Protection issues and to ensure the safe handling of this data.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 10:05 am
Gautam
Sorry, just getting a little touchy on the subject.
0 Replies