N.C. Gets Lottery...Jesse Helms Rises From The Dead In Anger

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 08:00 am
I read that North Carolina, the underpinning that holds up the trailer park that is the Southeast will after years of struggle be going the way of godless heathens everywhere and instituting a state lottery.

It's a sad day. What's next, gay animal marriage cermonies?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,367 • Replies: 10
No top replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 08:30 am
It had always been my impression that, for a person to rise from the dead, a necessary prerequisite was that the person in question had to be dead to begin with. A living person rising from the dead, on the other hand, presents a series of logical and metaphysical puzzles.

It was, therefore, with a mixture of surprise, hope, dread, and joy that I read this thread title: "N.C. Gets Lottery...Jesse Helms Rises From The Dead In Anger." By all news accounts, Helms is not dead. Could this mean, then, that he is among the undead? That he was, as was long suspected, vampirically surviving on the essence of the living? I await further developments.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 09:42 am
Rhetorical questions right big guy?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 01:30 pm
Re: N.C. Gets Lottery...Jesse Helms Rises From The Dead In A
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
I read that North Carolina, the underpinning that holds up the trailer park that is the Southeast will after years of struggle be going the way of godless heathens everywhere and instituting a state lottery.

Hey!! Nothing wrong with NC! Concerning the lottery, the pro-lottery lobby has it that most North Carolinians are caravaning to other states to buy tickets. To hear them tell it, I'm amazed anyone actually lives here. Here's the breakdown of estimates on how much money the state is losing because state residents are fleeing the state to buy tickets.

The Family Policy Council says it's $80 million.
Black and Basnight (leading state legislators) say it's $300 million.
Gov. Easley says it's $400 - 500 million.
The John Locke Foundation calculates it at $36 million.

Just to put it into prospecitive, the state only has 8 million people and most of those do not live a conveinent distance from the state line. GA claims a record of $100/capita for loto participation. I guess the 300,000 folks near the state lines are doing 10x that number in order to meet the gov's estimate.
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 05:44 pm
blth

Unless something has happened in the last 8 hours, it was only the NC House that passed the Lotto thing.

BTW
Can't you whiz kids think of something shorter than something approaching the length of a sentence for a name?????????
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 06:12 pm
too much reading for you rayban?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 07:48 pm
rayban1 wrote:
blth
Unless something has happened in the last 8 hours, it was only the NC House that passed the Lotto thing.

The senate has been pro-loto for years, so consider it a done deal.
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 08:14 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
too much reading for you rayban?

It's not the reading........it's the superfluous typing! At my age I must conserve my energy. I do like to type the name of whomever it is that I'm addressing and I wouldn't want you to miss my pearls of wisdom because I couldn't be bothered to type your f****** name. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 08:17 pm
just call me bvt then , and Ill call you ray. Like buddies. Cool
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 09:51 pm
Yeah........you can be like my GREAT GRANDSON Cool
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 07:11 am
are you saying you prefer I call you Mr. Ban, as befits a man who has attained the lofty status of elder statesman?
0 Replies