Ticomaya

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 12:34 pm
I feel safer already. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 12:36 pm
HUH????

Shocked

They haven't been doing this all along? I assumed a passport was laready a requirement. I had to have one to board a ship to the Bahama's, why wouldn't I need one to come and go to two major countries?

This shoulda been in place already.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 12:37 pm
So I have 3 years to get a passport to enter the U.S. I wonder if I will need it to get back into Canada? :-)
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 12:38 pm
Maybe we won't let you go... Did ya consider that?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 12:39 pm
NEWSFLASH --- U.S. holds Intrepid for ransom. Canada refuses to pay! Laughing
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 12:43 pm
Hi Squinney. Until now your driver's license or picture ID was all you needed.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 12:44 pm
In all my trips from Detroit to Windsor, I was only stopped once by Customs.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 12:45 pm
They must have been awake that day ;-)
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 12:46 pm
The 9/11 hijackers all had passports.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 12:46 pm
They wanted to know what I was bringing back with me.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 12:48 pm
Good point, Tico.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 12:49 pm
squinney wrote:
HUH????

Shocked

They haven't been doing this all along? I assumed a passport was laready a requirement. I had to have one to board a ship to the Bahama's, why wouldn't I need one to come and go to two major countries?

This shoulda been in place already.

Canada and the U.S. have had somewhat of an open border policy. Used to only need a birth certificate. Then it changed to a picture licence. I went into Mexico once with a Canadian Health Card.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 12:50 pm
We have over 50 different licenses in the US. How is a border guard to know the authentic traits of all of them in order to be able to identify a fake?

A passport requirement makes sense. We have to have it to go to any other countries, so why not Canada or Mexico?

As far as the 911 hijackers having passports, that's a passport department problem that needs to be fixed. The borders need to have a little more thorough understanding of who's coming and going besides just glancing at a license.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 12:53 pm
The lines at the U.S./Canada boarder will be even longer than before.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 12:55 pm
colorbook wrote:
The lines at the U.S./Canada boarder will be even longer than before.

Don't you think they might actually get shorter since there is a uniform method of identification?
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 12:59 pm
I think Tico's right. Passports should be easier to confirm rather than a drivers license which has been in a guy's wallet stuck in his back pocket all year long.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 01:00 pm
squinney wrote:
We have over 50 different licenses in the US. How is a border guard to know the authentic traits of all of them in order to be able to identify a fake?

The drivers licence must have a physical description of the person, or a photo.

Quote:
A passport requirement makes sense. We have to have it to go to any other countries, so why not Canada or Mexico?

Because we like you :-)

Quote:
As far as the 911 hijackers having passports, that's a passport department problem that needs to be fixed. The borders need to have a little more thorough understanding of who's coming and going besides just glancing at a license.

Not really a U.S. passport department problem since they had foreign passports, not U.S. passports.

A friend just visited Florida and the limo driver left 3 of their bags on the sidewalk at the airport. He forgot to put them in the car. It seems that security had them removed almost immediately since bags left alone are suspicious and a cause for concern. They now want to charge my friiends to ship the bags back to them in Canada. :-(
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 01:08 pm
Intrepid wrote:
The drivers licence must have a physical description of the person, or a photo

But, kids here get fake ID's all the time. I imagine criminals get really good ones and pay more for them. Not hard to do with the right amount of money.

Quote:
Because we like you :-)

Well, okay then. You can come and go as you please. Just tell them I said so and I'm sure they wave you right through. :wink:
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 01:12 pm
The rules seem to be for the honest citizen.

The criminal element will always find ways to circumvent everything. Whether it is obtaining illegal weapons, passports, drivers licences or the blueprints to government buildings.
0 Replies