How do you ever know what you do is right for them?

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 11:50 am
Hello, I am new here, but could use opinions, good or bad. I'm dealing with a 79 yo mom who has a cruel streak, and has had all of her life. My dad and I very close, he passed 3 yrs ago, promised him I would take care of her. Moved her from Nevada in Feb. 3days later she had heart attack, hospital for 3 weeks, nursing home for 2 months (rehab program) Diabetic for 57 years. Mom refuses to listen to the Docs. Her heart is taking a pounding due to sugar intake at wrong times according to doc. When I found cookies in her drawer that one of the residents gave her and gave them to a nurse, she got the center driver to take her to the bank, recinded my POA and opened another account, telling me she could never trust me again and that I humilliated her. I've since sat with her and the Dr. talked about how bad the sweets are for her, she agreed to do as he said. His recommendation is that she not be alone, and she refused assisted living, and in home health care. so I went and got her yesterday on release and I feel stuck. The nurses at the center yesterday told me they could not beleive I was taking her, but I don't know what else to do. Do I just wait to dind her on the floor when I get home from work, or do I take control and just get medicaid started and assisted living? She is extremely manipulative, has always been. My dad always gave her her way , and she is so resentful if I can't (i.e. taking off work to take her shopping no kidding....)
Anyway I am ready to give up, any and all comments are welcomed!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,614 • Replies: 12
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 05:34 pm
Yikes, lifesundone.

I don't have any experience with this kind of thing - the difficult mom, the medicade, that kind of stuff - but I thought that I can at least bump up into the active category and see if someone who does know will pick it up.

But I do think this --

When you made your dad that promise he never expected your life to be undone.

You have done your best with a difficult situation.

I think I would suggest getting a third party involved via family counseling. Just hearing things from someone who has no emotional stake in the matter might help clarify things for both you and your mom.

You should also see your doctor because, girlfriend, you sound ready to snap.

When my dad was dying everyone kept telling my mom "if you don't take care of yourself you can't take care of anyone else".

She felt very guilty about taking time for herself but later she realized that it was true.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 06:10 pm
lifesundone--

Welcome to A2K.

Remember, you are a daughter--not a parent, not a keeper, not a superwoman.

You promised your father you would take care of your mother. Your father would not expect you to do the impossible. Your father understood that you were human.

Quote:
I don't know what else to do. Do I just wait to dind her on the floor when I get home from work, or do I take control and just get medicaid started and assisted living? She is extremely manipulative, has always been. My dad always gave her her way , and she is so resentful if I can't (i.e. taking off work to take her shopping no kidding....)

Can you say, "Mom, if you are not happy living here with me, we'll have to find somewhere else for you to live"?

Let her make her choices--but don't let her dictate yours.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 05:12 pm
You need to decide who will pay the price of your mothers stubornness and manipulation.She doesnt seem to care what your going through.I read this to my 89 yo grandma and she doesnt know what to say
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 06:07 pm
Can you talk a little more with the doctor that saw your mother? He might have some useful comment.

It's a problem not to have that durable power of attorney, and she ( and you) should also have other legal paperwork. That she would tear up the power of attorney over the cookies is possibly a sign of mental deterioration - or not, as you say she has always had a tendency to be this way.
0 Replies

tye8456

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 12:36 am
See it every day
I am an Administrator in a Assisted Living Community, and I see this every day. You feel on one side of it " She is an adult, it's her right!" and your right it is. You feel like you just want to yell at her, and you can't. I understand, I care for my residents deeply. What I can say is this. You have a couple options 1) Give in, but tell Mom it's her choice 2)Fight, sit down with mom and have a "Come to Jesus" meeting with her. 3) Speak with a Doctor and include a major influencer in her life in meeting and find out if there are other options. More insulin? Diabetic desserts?

As far as Medicaid, its an Awesome program! It seems wrong because Mom & Dad worked so hard to be on a limited income. But, care is there, supplies are there, and recourses are there! Reach out and use them. If not, ask me I'll give you my opinion may not be worth much! but its mine
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 08:35 am
lifesundone - I know exactly what you are going through. My mom is 96, and is in an assisted living facility. When my dad died, many years ago, I told her that I would make sure that she had what she needs, and is comfortable, but that she could never live with me.

She is a difficult woman, and I never really got along with her. When I moved to Florida in 1994, I took her along, and had her live in a condo that I owned. This year, she had become more frail, and her mental powers were declining. After a hospitalization, I placed her in an assisted living facility, temporarily. After a time, after checking into home health aides, I realized that she could not stay in the condo.

For some time after I moved her, I was being very neurotic about being "Johnny on the spot" for her. Despite that, my husband and I recently went on a western vacation for a month. During that time, she was hospitalized, and needed an operation. With the help of phone calls, a trip down by my brother, she got through that...................................and I wasn't even there. That really proved to me that I did not have to give up my life in order to make sure that my mother is getting the care that she needs.

I think that you are being too hard on yourself. If your mom is difficult, her living with you can only be a negative, and will impact adversely on your life. You can "do the right thing", and yet not have to deal with her 24/7.

As far as her cheating with regards to sugar, you are not her keeper. If she wants to threaten her health by stuffing her face with sugar, it is HER choice. You have told her the ramifications, and if she does not want to listen, there is nothing more that you can do. Don't let her hold you hostage, or she will become the focal point of your life. You have your own life to lead.

I had started a thread years ago, when I first started having problems with my mother. You might want to glance through the thread. There is a lot of good stuff in it.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1948
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 12:47 pm
Phoenix--

Congratulations on an uninterrupted trip!

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 11:39 am
Hi everybody, hi lifesundone, and welcome. I know and feel what you

are going through. My dad is hemiplegia and he's 83 now. My brother ( 2

years older than me ) is quadriplegia. There are both home. Not to

mention my mother who was a lot of help before, not now anymore.

Just try to do what you see is best for her, I know it's tough to deal with

old people, believe me.

Hold your dominion ( Thanks VERY much Noddy )
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 05:45 pm
Navigator--

I'm glad my words are useful.

I admire your attitude.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 05:41 am
Hi Noddy, I'll post another more ordinary, and horrible nightmare .

The story begin here

nightmare
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 01:09 pm
Lifesundone--

How are things going?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 11:33 am
Lifesundone, I agree with Phoenix on this. Your mother has a right to her autonomy and power, even if it kills her. Do what you can to inform her of the likely consequences of her suger-"transgressions", but do her the honor of respecting her autonomy. Once she's dead you'll be (or should be) glad you did. And if there's a conscious afterlilfe, so will she.
0 Replies