Lousy Women Drivers?

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 06:27 am
Is it my imagination or would agree that most women, who drive SUVs are really lousy drivers? If they can't drive a compact car well, why in the world do these women think they can drive an SUV well? Sad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,922 • Replies: 28
No top replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 06:35 am
I certainly dont believe its women alone. Its SUV drivers of all sorts. And its not just SUV drivers either...its a whole bunch of idiots who think they can drive, but are just kidding themselves.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 06:37 am
I have only observered women having difficulty driving SUVs. If you're walking down the sidewalk in the day light, would you like to have an SUV run up over the sidewalk and knock you down?

No way!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 06:41 am
I'm sure gender has nothing to do with it. Size of the vehicle - absolutely. But whether one has ovaries or testes is immaterial with reference to what kind of driver you are.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 06:42 am
I wouldnt want any vehicle 'knocking me down' but, you know, thats just me.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 07:21 am
I think an important aspect of good driving is co-ordination. If this be the case, there is a muscular and thus a genetic basis for it. As a result, one may conclude that gender is involved.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 07:34 am
If you are to take that into consideration then, reaction times of females is better than males so, in combination, I still would think sexual organs have nothing to do with it.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 07:36 am
Are sexual organs involved in the manipulation of the SUV?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 07:44 am
exactly
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 09:09 am
i think women are horrible drivers, damn near as bad as men.
0 Replies

midnight

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 09:15 am
I agree dyslexia. I also think the bad driving of SUV owners may be noticed more often because they are driving larger vehicles. I also think the lifestyle that tends to go along with SUVs can also play a role. A parent driving around three screaming children would be paying a little less attention to the road or a young person who still thinks they are invincible would also take less notice of the road and have less experience.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 09:52 am
http://homepages.luc.edu/~dkruger/ep10.html

"On average, men are better at gross motor skills requiring speed and force, from running and jumping to throwing objects (Fisher, 1992). Women on the other hand, average better "fine" motor coordination, manipulating tiny objects with ease (Fisher, 1992)."

So men and women both have good hand-eye coordination, just in different ways.

Percentage-wise, men and women are involved in the same amount of accidents. However, more men are killed because more of their accidents tend to be speed and/or alcohol related. From: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ Reports in pdf format.

I can't find any specific information about SUVs but I'm willing to bet that men and women are involved the same amount. Possibly more men simply because more men drive them. I hate SUVs. There full of blind spots and I think there is a 'I'm bigger so move!' mentality that takes over the people that drive them. I let them rear-end me anyway. I need a new car.

I have been in 4 total loss accidents, all the fault of the other driver, all 4 of them men. People just don't like to stop for red lights anymore. I've even had a man crunch my trunk , $1000 in damage, while the vehicle was parked in my driveway. Now that's just my experience, but I've had terrible luck with male drivers. Wink

Honestly, I think that most people can't drive. Except me. I'm an excellent driver. :p
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 09:55 am
True, midnight, but most of them around here are occupied by exactly one person - the driver.

One of my favorite bumper stickers reads "Caution: I drive like you drive."
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 10:44 am
this is totally observational, but in my neighborhood (upscale) the men usually take mass transit to work and the wives drive the SUV's to the market/shopping/schlepping. for me personally my greatest driving fear is at the shopping parking lots. Wink
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 10:44 am
The people who drive around like idiots in SUV's are people who can't drive in general, and buy them for the wrong reasons: 'Safety,' or to 'sit up high,' the latter being why many women buy them. Because they think having a 4WD and sitting up higher is safer, they drive more aggressively. Of course, they don't realize SUV's tip easier, handle sloppier, and take longer to stop then a typical sedan.

Of course, most people on the road really are bad drivers, in the sense they don't have the know-how or basic skills to control their cars in emergency situations, and lack the common sense to realize going 90mph in snow in a Jeep is pretty stupid.

The one reason I'd say women are worse drivers in general than men(skill wise, not "safe driving," because men are supposedly more aggressive behind the wheel), is because most "driving enthusiasts" are men. Most women don't take pride in learning to drive their cars at their limits: knowing how to control their car in a skid, how to handle at high speeds, ect.

It always amazes me how some people actually have to think out loud "turn the wheel in the direction of the skid..." Duh. When it does happen, and you have to actually think about what to do, your car is already spun around.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 01:44 pm
Slappy brought up the point I was going to make. According to recent research, a significant number of SUV drivers buy the beasts because they actually can't drive. If they're going to crash, they figure, they ought to be in the biggest vehicle. Of course, that's my interpretation of the research.

And NH, does it really take any real musculature to drive a car? The only time I can think of it mattering is if you blow a power steering belt or something.

And I agree with the many who post here - most people can't drive very well.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 01:48 pm
It does require some muscle activity. But more importantly, it requires co-ordination. ( Which incidentally is muscle -dependent ).
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 01:50 pm
dyslexia:

The drivers are maniacs when they exit parking lots, especially those associated with banks. WHen they almost hit you, they LAUGH! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 04:55 pm
Personally I say put up the cell phone. Here in Texas there are lots of SUVs in addition to a gazillion pick up trucks. Nine out of ten times when they drive stupid, male or female, they are on the cells.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 08:43 pm
Looking at insurance rating books would certainly give you the idea that women are better drivers than men. They certainly aren't the causes of nearly as many of the big $$$ accidents. (editing out a rant)

I'll vote as many times as allowed to agree with JoanneD in regard to the dangers of the use of cell phones while driving. My neighbour's son was killed last year, when a man talking on a cell phone didn't notice him as he was crossing the road. This morning I saw a woman talking on her cell in a totally snow-covered car (no lights in evidence) careening down the road while everyone else was crawling due to the weather problems - no big surprise when i heard a big bang - turned and saw her in a snow bank, halfway up a mail box. Idiot.
0 Replies