But does it swing both ways?

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 09:14 am
Get your mind out of the gutter.

I'm talking about refridgerator doors.

Mr. B and I have been shopping for a new fridge.

He wants a side by side, which is what we have now, because he likes the ice/water in the door thing, which broke on our current model after a very short time. And, I guess, because that's what all the cool kids have.

I hate our current model because the way our kitchen is designed you cannot open the fridge part door wide enough to take the vegetable bins out for cleaning and if someone is standing at the sink, you know who I mean, you have to knock them in the back and squish them flat which is sometimes a nice way to relive stress in a very passive-agressive way but is all more often just a pain in the neck.

I want the stunning and delightful freezer down/fridge up model and maybe a nifty little seperate freezer thing which would end up costing about the same amount of money as Mr. B's fancy schmancy water delivery model inlaid with genuine cubic zirconia.

At least he's not still whining over me nixing the TV in the door model by insisting that until it can text message and take a picture and play a game and call my mom - or until his phone can keep our food cold - that I wasn't buying.

Which brings me to my question - most up/down fridge/freezer things have doors that open to the right. Can I have that switched around so that they open to the left?

If I can't make it open to the left I guess I'll have to admit defeat and pick the side by side monster that slices and dices and walks the dog and allows Mo to squirt ice and water all over the floor and whatever.

Thank you for your valuable advice.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,869 • Replies: 25
No top replies

panzade

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 09:30 am
My experience is that all fridge doors can be reversed.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 09:38 am
Excellent!

Now that that's resolved maybe someone can help me with this....

The other day I bought Mo this toy that came with a warning to "use caution around lit cigarettes".

When Mo saw the warning he was like "What is this world coming to? When a man can't sit down and enjoy a good smoke while playing with his trucks.... well.... I don't even know what's next!"

So should I just trust him to be careful or should I try to find a non-smoking pre-schooler to give the toy to?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 09:54 am
The Sears Kenmore brand was first out with reversable doors. I'll take panzade's word for the rest. I don't think reversable means they swing both ways, though I did install a pet door that did.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 09:56 am
Most, if not all, refrigerators today have reversible doors. You can either do it yourself, or ask the people where you buy it to deliver it with your preferred way of swinging.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 10:10 am
Excellent!

One thing I have learned during our shopping expidentions is that I really miss having sales people know something about the product they sell. I have been met with blank stares when asking this question to refridgerator sales-people.

Thank you all for your swinging advice.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 10:13 am
To check this, just look at the top of the fridge on the opposite side to where the hinge is. You should see a little cover (probably plastic) that covers the place where the hinge goes on the other side.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 10:19 am
Great tip! I will look them over. I suppose that if they have that hinge thing it would be nothing but reversing the door and handle to make it open in the right directions!
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 10:20 am
That's right. As a matter of fact, you should see the spots where the handle gets reversed as well.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 10:21 am
the second question for the fridge sales person is "does the light stay on when you close the door?"
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 10:37 am
Jeez, dys. I really don't think I want to spend the rest of my life in the appliance department while that topic gets researched!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 10:54 am
Laughing Boomer, your Mo story slays me.

What panzade said regarding the fridge door -- it should also say so in the little features paper that's usually attached somehow to the display.

I'm shopping for a new washer and was pleasantly surprised at how knowledgable the sales guy at Lowes was. I even took his card. Having the same experience with other sales people, I didn't want to take the chance that he wouldn't be there when I came back.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 10:57 am
boomerang wrote:
Excellent!

Now that that's resolved maybe someone can help me with this....

The other day I bought Mo this toy that came with a warning to "use caution around lit cigarettes".

When Mo saw the warning he was like "What is this world coming to? When a man can't sit down and enjoy a good smoke while playing with his trucks.... well.... I don't even know what's next!"

So should I just trust him to be careful or should I try to find a non-smoking pre-schooler to give the toy to?

Laughing

That is funny.....
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 12:11 pm
Isn't that just about the dumbest warning you've ever heard of being on a toy?

I think it should say "Ages 3 and up provided you don't have absolute morons for parents."

I'd keep that guy's card too, Free Duck. And I would give him all my business in the future. And I would tell every person I know in the vicinity to give him their business too.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 12:23 pm
Yeah, no kidding. He even, as an aside, explained to me how dishwasher detergent is different from dish soap. I'd always known you couldn't put dish soap in the dishwasher, but I never knew the mechanics behind it.

He didn't do the hard sell but he did convince me to go with a stackable frontloader pair (washer and dryer) from Frigidaire. I'm just waiting a bit because I don't want to finance it.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 01:22 pm
It really seems to come down to finding someone who takes a modicum of pride in the job they do; someone who is not just biding their time until their screenplay is picked up (the excuse de jour around here among every age group).

I am loyal to a fault when I find someone like that.

It makes me think, too, of the opposite problem -- like at the big camera store here. It is staffed with people who are very knowledgable but who make you feel like an absolute idiot if you ask any question at all. After they sigh and roll their eyes they riff off on some long and incomprehensible techno-jargon rant to prove their superiority.

I take my business to a little shop that has a knowledgable staff who treat me well and indulge my endless asking.

I pay a little more but it's darn well worth it.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 01:30 pm
boomerang wrote:

I was amused, too, until I considered the effects of shooting silly string too close to lit birthday candles....
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 01:32 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
I'd always known you couldn't put dish soap in the dishwasher....

How to delight your family by having a foam bath in the kitchen....
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 01:38 pm
Yeah, there is that other side of the coin. I once got a very long lecture at a snooty coffee shop about what exactly is in a cafe au lait. One of the patrons even chimed in. I finally said, look, I want some strong coffee with hot frothy milk. I don't care what you name it. Can you do that or do I need to go somewhere else? I never went back there.

It reminded me of the snooty people that used to come to my bar (when I was much much younger) and would ask me if I knew how to make some completely obscure and undrinkable drink with a ridiculous and non-descriptive name. <swagger> Do you know how to make a flaming purple titty twister? You don't do you. Let me tell you how to make it....</swagger>

But yeah, I agree, it has to do with pride in the job and probably a little curiosity about the thing they are selling. If they're interested then they like to talk about it and like to share their knowledge. Unless they're snots. See above. I think I'd actually like to sell appliances. How much fun would it be to have all that inside info about new features and whatnot. Plus I just like appliances.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 08:21 pm
Me too, thats why I install them. :wink:

One quick tip, most doors are reversible but on some newer models and on built ins you have to order the door swing one way or another.

You mentioned one reason for the side by side was the water dispenser, a few of the top or bottom mount refers have water dispensers on the inside so don't let that argument sway you.
0 Replies