Whats the Best Comedy?

booman2

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 05:31 pm
Heres anothercomedy I loved that seems to me overlooked."Other Peoples Money"-starring Danny Devito... (And I don't hear enough about him either Mad )
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 06:02 pm
Still think "Ruthless People" is the best DeVito comedy -- he's priceless as the husband who is tring to get his wife killed by the two hapless kidnappers. Bette Midler was the perfect foil, too.
0 Replies

booman2

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 07:36 pm
Oh heck yeah LW!.... That story reminded me of a short story we read in school. O'Henry's "Ransom Of Red Chief", but it took on a life of it's own, so it's not a ripoff.
0 Replies

booman2

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 07:43 pm
BTW LW,
....I need your help. first of all,I still can't write PM's. Somebody in the past is really causeinf us to get severe punish ment.
....I e-mailed you. did you get it? Also, Rae a friend from my last incarnation wwrote me two PM"s, and thinks I'm ignoring her. Her last PM. tore my heart out. Please PM her and let her know my dilemna. She'll find my e-mail in my profile. Please help, old friend.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 09:04 am
No problemo -- but I didn't receive an E mail from you. I will re-PM my address in case there was an error.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 09:08 am
I can't find Rae's profile to PM her. Please link to a post on the forum so I can help.
0 Replies

booman2

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 06:48 pm
LW,
My e-mail is on the way again. I'm still having trouble finding a post of hers. Perhaps I can figure out how to link from her PM to me if that's possible.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 08:34 am
I did receive it!

I tried to search for a member but no luck. Is the screen name Rae?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 08:35 am
Do any of you watch Nighty Night?
0 Replies

AllanSwann

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 03:35 pm
My personal favorites would be:

1. "Stripes" <outrageously funny lines and situations>;

2. "Caddyshack" <who could believe country club golf could be that funny?>;

3. "Meet the Parents" <even though I've seen it a half a dozen or so times, I still chuckle every time De Niro says, "Focker">;

4. "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation" <more memorable lines such as Chevy Chase's response when cousin Eddie asks him if he's surprised to see him. "Eddie, I couldn't be more surprised if I woke up in the morning with my ears nailed to the carpet.">;

5. "Midnight Run", with DeNiro and Charles Grodin in a cross-country buddy flick that was one of the first to show DeNiro's comedic talent.

I'd also rate "Dr. Strangelove" as one of the great black comedy movies of all time. Another Kubrick classic!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 03:48 pm
"Midnight Run" is a very good one!
"I can't fly. I suffer from claustrophobia!"
"Well, if you don't get on that plane, you're gonna suffer from fistophobia!"
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 03:59 pm
AllanSwann wrote:
My personal favorites would be:

1. "Stripes" <outrageously funny lines and situations>;

2. "Caddyshack" <who could believe country club golf could be that funny?>;

3. "Meet the Parents" <even though I've seen it a half a dozen or so times, I still chuckle every time De Niro says, "Focker">;

4. "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation" <more memorable lines such as Chevy Chase's response when cousin Eddie asks him if he's surprised to see him. "Eddie, I couldn't be more surprised if I woke up in the morning with my ears nailed to the carpet.">;

5. "Midnight Run", with DeNiro and Charles Grodin in a cross-country buddy flick that was one of the first to show DeNiro's comedic talent.

All great ... particularly Meet the Parents and Christmas Vacation. I've nearly worn out those DVD's. Another is Dumb and Dumber. I go for the really highbrow comedies, doncha know?
0 Replies

AllanSwann

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 04:11 pm
Wichita, Kansas here, to which there was a line in "All the President's Men" that was none too flattering.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

I second the multiple nominations for "Strangelove" and the various ensemble mockumentaries ("Spinal Tap" et al).

There's one that I saw years ago that I thought was funny. "The Fireman's Ball" was directed by Milos Foreman when he still lived in Czechoslovakia. Very dark and very subversive. I wonder if it holds up...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

AllanSwann wrote:
Wichita, Kansas here, to which there was a line in "All the President's Men" that was none too flattering.

And what about "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles"? Laughing
0 Replies

AllanSwann

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 04:14 pm
eoe wrote:
"Midnight Run" is a very good one!
"I can't fly. I suffer from claustrophobia!"
"Well, if you don't get on that plane, you're gonna suffer from fistophobia!"

It's been awhile since I've watched it, but some of the best lines are delivered by Dennis Farina's mob boss, such as, "Is this moron number 1? Let me speak to Moron number 2." IMHO, one of the great little known movies of all time. The interplay between DeNiro and Grodin throughout the movie is absolutely priceless!
0 Replies

AllanSwann

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 04:18 pm
"Planes, Trains & Automobiles" is another great buddy road movie, Tico. And another buddy road movie to me is "Tommy Boy." What a great loss not having John Candy and Chris Farley around anymore, eh?
0 Replies

AllanSwann

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 04:20 pm
Unfortunately, my request to send replies to PMs is "under advisement".
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 04:21 pm
AllanSwann wrote:
"Planes, Trains & Automobiles" is another great buddy road movie, Tico. And another buddy road movie to me is "Tommy Boy." What a great loss not having John Candy and Chris Farley around anymore, eh?

Tommy Boy is another favorite of mine. As is Uncle Buck ...

-[i] I just want to hear the pitter patter of little feet. - Well, how 'bout if I get you a mouse and some sheet metal? [/i]
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 04:21 pm
AllanSwann wrote:
Unfortunately, my request to send replies to PMs is "under advisement".

Hopefully that changes soon ...
0 Replies