Whats the Best Comedy?

Paaskynen

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 10:42 pm
The actual title was "Night on Earth" (1991, sorry, don't mean to sound lecturing), it featured taxi Rides at midnight in five cities of the world (LA (with Winona Rider), New York (with Armin Mueller-Stahl), Paris, Rome and Helsinki in Finland. The cab driver in Rome is played by Roberto Benigni of "La Vita e Bella" fame. He also featured in that other weirdly funny film by Jim Jarmush, "Down by Law" (1986).
0 Replies

basket case

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 04:59 am
the funniest film i saw was JACKASS I love the programme and the movie ROCKS its SOOOOOOO hilarious, i wonder about viva la bam !!!
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 05:30 am
We have a uk version of Jackass called Dirty Sanchez.
Forgive me but I hav to say its better than Jackass.The guys are brilliant and hilarious.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 05:42 am
The Russians are coming The Russians are coming

The Pink Panther

Pillow Talk
0 Replies

just some random person

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 01:20 am
i loved the monty python movies!!! they were absolutley hilarious!!! john cleese is THE BEST!!!
0 Replies

booman2

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 09:44 pm
Comedies I've watched at least four times each, and they still make me ROFLMAO...... "My Cousin Vinnie"..."Mask"
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 11:32 am
I agree, boo -- "My Cousin Vinnie" has got to have one of the best comedy scripts ever written and "The Mask" is really the first time CGI was used throughout as a comedic element with great success. Of course, Carrey could almost do some of the ridiculous stretched face mugging without the aid of CGI (I suspect he did and it was augmented).
0 Replies

booman2

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 02:34 pm
Okay LW,
Since you agree with me on MCV, this ought to knock you on your ass, if you aren't already aware. On the AFI's top 100 comedy list. THEY COULDN'T FIND ROOM FOR MCV! Shocked I call this egregious to the tenth power.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 03:35 pm
Dr Strangelove is one of the best of all times.

And for pure camp, Sellers in the Pink Panther series.

"Does yur dog bite?
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite."
"That's not my dog."
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 03:46 pm
Get Shorty- I loved the way that Dennis Farinas face kept getting more and more bandaged through the movie, even though he was supposed to be the enforcer
An oldie (pre 1990) was "Into the Night" a Kind of chase movie in which the leads are being chased by a gang of really inept Arab hit men who are managing to do more damage to themselves than their targets

The Ladykillers-kind of a "lavendar Hill Gang" redoux, but darker

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. I took this as a comedy
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 03:57 pm
parados wrote:
Dr Strangelove is one of the best of all times.

And for pure camp, Sellers in the Pink Panther series.

"Does yur dog bite?
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite."
"That's not my dog."

I liked the part where Keenan Wynn kept calling the British officer a "prevert," while the latter tried to phone the Pentagon on a pay phone to avert World War 3.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 07:49 pm
farmer wrote
Quote:
The Ladykillers-kind of a "lavendar Hill Gang" redoux, but darker

Are you talking about the original or the Tom Hanks remake. You can catch the 1955 black and white British version with Alec Guiness sometimes on TV. One of those reserved British comedies that doesn't make you scream with laughter but makes you feel good all the same.
0 Replies

booman2

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 07:50 pm
Funny, I never here much about "The Mouse That Roared", a tour de force for Sellars, and a premise that rang so true. I believe he played about nine roles. (Eat your heart out Eddie Murphy.)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 09:11 am
"The Mouse That Roared" is a certified classic and possibly Sellar's best movie. It could be paired up with Alan Bates in "The King of Hearts" as a double bill as satirically illustrating the foolishness of war.
0 Replies

booman2

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 04:21 pm
It's like you always say LW, "Great minds think alike" Cool
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 10:55 am
Yes, I just can't figure out what's wrong with us?
0 Replies

Nietzsche

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 12:08 am
Hmm, comedy is a tough one.

A lot of movies that are really funny the first time aren't as funny the second or third time; and a lot of movies that are "okay" the first time become more and more funny the more you watch and pick up the little things. The South Park movie made me laugh about 100 times the first time, but I've only seen it once since, for example.

If I had to pick one comedy to have with me on an island? Gotta go with Fast Times At Ridemont High.
0 Replies

FunkyHoward123

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 08:49 pm
Bad Boys 2 was hilarious it had both action and comedy, whats not to like?
0 Replies

Lambchop

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 11:05 am
One of the funniest movies I ever saw was, "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World." They had a fantastic cast and so many funny moments. Especially the scenes between Jonathan Winters as the country bumpkin truck driver, and Phil Silvers as the city slicker conman type.

Lately, some of my co-workers have been talking about Monty Python's "Holy Grail." I think I saw that movie several years ago, but can't remember much about it. But I think I'm going to check it out again. My co-workers make it sound so hilarious!!!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 12:18 pm
I've stated it elsewhere but the climactic scene with the ladder waving back and forth in Cinerama was outrageously funny.

"Holy Grail" is discussed over-and-over in this forum and I believe it is one of the best comical satires right up there with "The King of Hearts" and "The Mouse That Roared."
0 Replies