Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2015 02:09 pm
What would cause a 200 amp main circuit break to trip? I have not added any extra major appliances or have been using more power than normal. I will say that I myself replaced 2 electrical outlets in an upstairs bathroom. If I had wired them wrong, would they still work and trip the main breaker? Or is it something else? Thanks in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 3,049 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2015 02:53 pm
Under usual circumstances, there are two major fault conditions that would cause a 200 amp two pole circuit breaker found in a combination panel-board fed from a 120/240 three wire single phase service to trip ; one would be over-current and the other would be overload.

Assuming there isn't excessive ambient temperature, the breaker is not faulty, and a whole host of other possibilities that would fill a whole book (a library in truth) are not in part or in whole the issue at hand.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2015 04:46 pm
@decadent,
Of course Chum is quite right but Dent, why don't you try disconnecting those two outlets, then see if….
0 Replies

decadent

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2015 09:13 pm
Thanks for your replies. So basically, I should call a professional to take a look see?
0 Replies

robertcrowden11

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2015 12:17 am
The buzzing from the breaker? If so, it needs replacing. If you replace it yourself, turn it off before messing with it and keep your hands out of the box as much as possible, by wearing gloves and doing the touching with your tools. If the buzzing is from elsewhere, consult an electrician.
0 Replies

Timmypags

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 01:16 am
@decadent,
First of all, unless you are a professional, don't attempt to change a 200 amp breaker yourself. No question about it. Could be s list of things like s previous reply mentioned. But in your situation with your experience , not trying to sound condescending, but 200 amps is nothing to take lightly. In a residential setting 200amps should be sufficient. However if your running ALot, and I mean ALOT of appliances you could need to upgrade your service. If your homes amp draw is more than 200 the main breaker will trip like any other breaker. In reality your only recommended to use about 80% of the amp rating. Again....200 Amp breaker....not a job for a do it your selfer. In this situation better to pay a professional than pay with your life.
0 Replies