What Science Fiction should I read next?

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2018 07:36 pm
I am almost at the end of "Fool's War" by Sarah Zettle, I am enjoying it very much. I recently read and thoroughly enjoyed "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" by Heinlein, the "Singularity Trap" by Dennis Taylor and "Left Hand of Darkness" by Ursula LeGuinn. I like novels that explore new ideas from different perspectives.

What other science fiction novels should I read? I am especially looking for newer titles (I already know Heinlein and Asimov are great).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 815 • Replies: 9

rosborne979

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2018 05:37 am
@maxdancona,
Try “Daemon” by Daniel Suarez.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2018 06:18 am
@maxdancona,
Based on your other titles: Old Man's War by John Scalzi.

Quote:
Old Man's War is a military science fiction novel by American writer John Scalzi, published in 2005.[1] His debut novel, it was nominated for the Hugo Award for Best Novel in 2006.

Based on reading Heinlein, Starship Troopers. Note, the book is mostly about social responsibility and why men go into battle. They had to strip all that out for the movies, so you would get a lot from the book even if you'd seen the movie.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2018 06:23 am
Have you ever read the Uplift novels by David Brin?

How about the Culture novels by Iain M. Banks?
rosborne979

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2018 09:55 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Have you ever read the Uplift novels by David Brin?
How about the Culture novels by Iain M. Banks?

These are both good, but the only Uplift Novel I liked was Startide Rising (one of my all-time favorite novels), and the best Culture novel was Excession.

If you liked those, you would probably like "Singularity Sky" by Charles Stross.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2018 09:57 am
@maxdancona,
Another great book is "Leviathan Wakes" which is the first novel in the "Expanse" series. The first three books in the Expanse series are excellent, but I though they tailed off a bit after that (although I still read all the others as well).
maxdancona

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2018 10:07 am
@rosborne979,
I have enjoyed the Expanse TV series and I was thinking about reading the books. I already know the basic story (which is a downside for me). I might pick those up yet.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2018 01:07 pm
@maxdancona,
I watched the Expanse series on TV before I read the books as well, and I still enjoyed the books immensely. There is enough difference in nuance and detail to make it worth it to read. Also, the books offer new insights into some of the unspoken areas of the TV Series.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2018 01:14 pm
@oralloy,
Oralloy... have you come across the "Expeditionary Force" series yet? I suspect that you might like it, it is very pro-military (in an interesting way) and told from the point of a US army Corporal starting with an alien invasion. The story really changes in the middle of the first novel with the introduction of "Skippy" (the first several chapters are introduction).

I don't want to give away any spoilers... but these books are a damn fun read.

maxdancona

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2018 12:25 pm
@maxdancona,
I just finished "Fool's War"... what an amazing book! That was a fun read with a lot to say.
0 Replies