margo

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 01:48 am
Does anyone have any good way of combating jet lag?

I'm heading for Europe later this year - a flight of about 26 hours, and about 10 time zones, all up! I usually arrive feeling life a dead something-or-other, and it takes me a couple of days to become human. I have only limited time, so those couple of days are wasted. (Mind you - there are those who are still waiting for me to become human Confused )

Any old wives' tales? (did old wives fly these distances?)
Any real "double blind, placebo-controlled, clinical trial" proof?
Any suggestions?

Melatonin has been suggested, but it's not available in Australia.

Is it better to sleep through the trip, or keep active? Watch the movies (which are censored sometimes to incomprehension!)? Hit the booze? Drink gallons of water? Eat everything in sight? Eat almost nothing?

What's been your experience?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,793 • Replies: 12
No top replies

LarryBS

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 03:48 am
Drinking lots of water in the 24 hours prior to leaving and during the trip itself was the advice I got and it seemed to work. But I tended to booze it up a little on the flight, never slept, watched the movie, and ate whatever they gave me. Once I got there (London) I would take no more than a one to two hour nap, and that suited me fine for the rest of the day. I usually had no problem getting to sleep those first few nights in London, if a bit later than I should have, 1:00 or 2:00 a.m.

I did about 20 trips (from Washington D.C. to London) in the space of two years or so.
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 10:24 am
These work for me:

Before you get on the flight, set your watch to the correct time for your destination.

Sleep on the flight, if you can.

And when you get to where you're going, stay awake untill night-time.

These work for me and I hope they help! Smile

Lorna
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 10:27 am
Jet Lag ?? What is that ?? :p

I think I am one of the lucky ones who does not suffer from Jet Lag - or maybe I travel so much that I am used to it, despite drinking till you drop on the flights (actually I start from the airport itself *if* I reach there with time to spare)
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 12:26 pm
She Said - For Australian Women

The article has some good suggestions. Very Happy
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 08:42 pm
Thanks, all!

In the article in Mckenzie's link, it says you need to allow 1 day for every hour out of sync! Sheesh! Who has 11 days to get over the trip - it's almost time to start again!

I've travelled quite a bit, and find that I'm recovering more slowly as I get older - or "more mature". It's a bit hard to set your clock to your destination time, when there's that 11 hour difference. I'll try some of the other things, though!
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 09:10 pm
MAYBE TRY THIS?
margo - I've never done this because with working up till the last minute ... Anyway, if a body can ... start "training" for the time change at home until you leave. You should be on "the new time" where you are going before you depart for your trip. I've always just slugged it out: "Some day I'll sleep a long time." Smile But, then, that's life at home or away. Have fun!!!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2003 12:54 am
Charli Laughing

Can you advise me how to explain to the boss that I know it's work starting time, but where I'm gonna be next week it's bedtime, and I'm in training Confused Cool

Boss is pretty humourless at the best of times, and is shitty enough about me taking holidays! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2003 04:07 am
LOVE YOUR REPLY!
Love your reply, margo. It's a hoot! Sorry to say, "I know those bosses." Hm-m-m, let me think on it. An extra week's vacation? Sick time? Emergency leave? All kidding aside, if possible, rest up real good ... and think "I'm not tired, I'm not tired, I'm not ..." ZONK! Have a good trip! Smile Smile Smile
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 11:58 am
margo: There were lots of good tips in that article. Drinking lots of water really does help. Juice and soft drinks are okay, but try not to drink much alcohol, if any. It really does increase your dehydration level.

Getting out into the sunshine after you arrive (if you're lucky enough to have some) is my best advice. I think it helps your body adjust faster if you can go for a walk or even a ride out in the daylight, even if it feels like it's bedtime at home.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 12:10 pm
Well, I'll tell you what doesn't work--for me at least. Stay up really late the night before a long flight, drinking copious amounts of the alcohol of your choice. Get up shockingly early the next morning to catch a train to the airport. Fly nine hours, then drive another eight hours home from the airport.

I actually did this when returning to Oregon after waking up in Cambridge, England with a splitting hangover. The flight was to Vancouver, BC, hence all the driving at the end...
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 12:12 pm
macsm
Thanks for your thoughts -I'm aiming for Sweden in midsummer - so there should be daylight - and maybe sunlight, for a good part of the time.

I am finding it more difficult as the years go by - and I've done this other side of the world trip quite a few times. Unfortunately, I'm back in cattle class Crying or Very sad after a much more comfortable flight last time.

The idea of drinking a lot of water is fine, but I seem to have the world's smallest bladder Confused - that'll guarantee no sleep. Someone has sugggested that I take those athlete's fluid replacement drinks (such as Gatorade) - as they replace not only fluid but electrolytes as well. I'll give that a try!

Basically, I hate flying - but how else can you get there? I've tried the sea voyage thing - but it does take rather a long time to get to Europe from here! Smile

D'Art...
I'll try to avoid at least some of your experiences - I don't have the long drive to or from the airport - only about 30 minutes! But a much longer flight!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 12:21 pm
Well, at least with all the getting up and down (due to the world's smallest bladder), you'll be getting some exercise in! Can you get an aisle seat so you won't have to climb over people?

I can never sleep on planes, but I bring earplugs and a mask and at least try to rest. Planes are so loud that I find the earplugs useful even when I'm awake and reading or whatever.
0 Replies