Utilitarianism

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 11:29 am
djbt wrote:
The system is intended to help one decide how to act. If you insist on apportioning blame...

It is not I who insist that your moral system apportion blame. It is in the very nature of a moral system to apportion blame.

djbt wrote:
So, my answer to your hypothetical would depend on these factors:
(a) Would being shot be a more or less painful way to die?
(b) Would the fact that B had been shot upset B's family more than if he'd just been killed?
(c) Is the waste of a bullet or two a bad thing?

In short, the more blameworthy act would be the one with the worst consequences, presuming A would be able to anticipate these consequences.

You previously wrote: "To not save someone is to act in a way that results in that person's death. To kill someone is to act in a way that results in that person's death. So killing and not saving are morally equivalent action." If killing and not saving are morally equivalent, then your factors are useless: A is equally culpable regardless of what he does.

Now, if you want to argue that the factors you've identified establish that A was more blameworthy for murdering B than for watching him die, then you'll have to explain your previous remark regarding the moral equivalency of the two.

djbt wrote:
Note that (2) says: 'It is good for people to feel pleasure', not 'It is good for a person that they feel pleasure'. That someone's else pleasure is as important as one's own is part of the premise.

Why should anyone accept that premise? The hedonist would certainly agree with the premise that pleasure is good, but he would not conclude that he has an obligation to maximize anyone else's pleasure but his own. So how do you avoid that conclusion?

djbt wrote:
Of course, a hedonist would disagree with this. A sadist probably would, too. It seems to me impossible to conceive of a moral system that doesn't have premisses that someone would disagree with, if 'oughts' cannot be derived from 'is's.

This isn't an "is-ought" problem. We haven't even arrived at an agreement on the "is" part of it yet.

djbt wrote:
Do you disagree with the premises? If so, why? Because you don't think that it is bad for people to suffer pain, or because you don't think pain is the only evil?

Because I can't see how you go from saying that pleasure is good to concluding that one should act to maximize someone else's pleasure.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 11:55 am
Thomas wrote:
Joe, I'll answer to the rest of your post later, but wanted to get this first point out of the way immediately. Did you notice that "I am trying to argue that... " was explicitly not an assumption? If I simply assumed that some point is true, I wouldn't bother arguing that it is; and I would neither worry about the argument getting circular, nor look for an independent measure of morality to test utilitarianism against. Throughout the whole paragraph which you said was begging the question, I was trying to argue that a utility-maximizing doctor happens to act in an ethical way, without assuming that he does (which would have made the reasoning circular). Please re-read that paragraph a little bit slower than you read it the first time, which I think should make my intentions fairly clear.

I re-read it (albeit at my own pace): I still think you're begging the question, but I grow weary of this digression and will not pursue it further.

Thomas wrote:
Then let me rephrase my question as follows. Suppose the doctor does not wait for instructions from us and slaughters the healthy man to save the sick. In your opinion, a) would the doctor maximize utility throughout society, b) would he be acting immoral, and c) which connections exist between a and b, if any?

a) I have no idea. Remember, I'm not the utilitarian here.
b) Yes.
c) None.

Thomas wrote:
Society as a whole consists of two parts: This individual hedonist and everybody else. To the utilitarian, the maximand is the pleasure throughout society as a whole, so the hedonist's displeasure from helping others counts as a negative in the utilitarian calculus.

Well, let's be clear here: I brought up the hedonist's argument not because it is the only alternative to utilitarianism (I think they're both flawed). I brought it up because the hedonist and the utilitarian both start from the same initial premise (pleasure is good) but arrive at significantly different conclusions. My question, then, is: why do you think the utilitarian is right and the hedonist is wrong?

Thomas wrote:
Less technically put, his displeasure is a reason for not obliging him to help others.

Wait a minute! Are you saying that hedonists get a "free pass" in a utilitarian society? That they don't have to be utility-maximizers if they get a lot of displeasure out of it?

Thomas wrote:
The reason becomes decicive when the total pleasure he can bring the rest of society comes at a higher cost in displeasure to him. (Because at this point it would begin to decrease the pleasure aggregated over society as a whole.) Which part of that argument do you think conflicts with traditional utilitarianism?

If you're saying that hedonists are not bound by utilitarian morality in a utilitarian society, then I think the conflict with traditional utilitarianism is pretty obvious.

As to my previous point, traditional utilitarians (e.g. John Stuart Mill) would disagree that a person should act to maximize utility "only up to the point when you begin to bring more displeasure to yourself than pleasure to others." Certainly, there comes a point where a single person's displeasure become inutile, but that flows from the unacceptable consequences of his displeasure, not from any value that is placed on displeasure qua displeasure. For example, Mill would not have insisted that a person kill himself if that act would bring great joy to his numerous enemies, but that's not because the individual's intense displeasure outweighs his enemies' pleasure. Rather, the bad consequences of adopting a rule whereby people would be obliged to kill themselves to gratify their enemies would be socially inutile.

Thomas wrote:
If the hedonist says this in order to state his philosophical position, he is only making clear that he is not a utilitarian (and that I am not a hedonist). If he is saying this to state his preferences, and the specific context for your discussion is that someone is drowning out there and he won't throw a rope, I advise you to do this: Pull out a hair of his and tell him you'll pull out the next in 15 seconds unless he throws that rope to this drowning person now. We'll see what he prefers...

No doubt he would prefer punching me in the face. But your hypothetical is not apt: the hedonist here is not faced with a choice of his own, but rather one that is forced upon him. Under circumstances where there is no compulsion (not even the mild form that you suggest), the hedonist would be perfectly right in regarding mild personal discomfort as more objectionable than someone else's extreme distress.

Thomas wrote:
-- and as a utilitarian I believe you would be acting ethically, as long as the pain you cause the hedonist from having a hair pulled outweighs the pain to the other person from drowning. (That's assuming, for this particular point, that neither of your and his actions has consequences for the rest of the world beyond the drowning guy.)

It also assumes that I have a right to pull out the hedonist's hairs. But that leads us into an entirely different philosophical area.

Thomas wrote:
I fill this gap by assuming that society is only a ficticious person, a semantic shorthand for "every human in the world". It has no pleasure for us to consider in its own right, except as a semantic shorthand for "the pleasure of each of the six billion humans in the world, as judged by his own preferences, added up." There are people who disagree with this assumption, but this is a disagreement about what the word "society" means. It is a disagreement about hermeneutics, not ethics.

I don't disagree with your definition of "society." I have a problem with your assumption that, because pleasure is good, that I would have some obligation to maximize someone else's pleasure.

Thomas wrote:
But utilitarians don't make this premise, except in the limit where maximizing ones own pleasure has no (harmful) effects on others, where it's simply a special case of the utlitarian calculus.

The utilitarian calculus is the basis for utilitarian ethics. It is, in other words, where utilitarians find their "ought." That means it's not a "special case" -- it's the typical case.

Thomas wrote:
Why should it trouble me that the conclusion does not follow from a premise I did not make?

If you don't think that pleasure is good, then you should make that clear.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 02:39 pm
Joe: Let me address your last point first. I agree you have spotted an implicit assumption I have made, and that I have to append my premise accordingly. djbt has explicitly stated this for his version of utilitarianism already. He said "all things that experience have the same claim to happiness". For admittedly non-utilitarian reasons, I am not as sure as he is about animals. But at least as far as humans are concerned I would agree with him and thus rephrase my premis as "pleasure is good, no matter who feels it". (Note that a hedonist would not say that) Or, more quantitatively put: "Other things equal, when two people feel a unit of pleasure each, that is as good as if one person feels two units, and twice as good as when one person feels one unit and the other feels none. I'm sure one could state it more rigorously, but this should be good enough to distinguish between utilitarians and hedonists. I think it is also good enough to justify the conclusion that pleasure ought to be maximized throughout society. At least it now follows from the few common sense "is" type assumptions I made in my last post. (decreasing marginal utility of wealth, compassion being more common than sadism and jealousy.) With that in mind, let me address some of your other points.

joefromchicago wrote:
Wait a minute! Are you saying that hedonists get a "free pass" in a utilitarian society? That they don't have to be utility-maximizers if they get a lot of displeasure out of it?

No, I am saying that they ought to be maximizers of pleasure as defined by the utilitarian calculus -- and that the utilitarian calculus counts as a negative any displeasure they may experience as a side effect of their increasing other people's pleasure.

joefromchicago wrote:
It also assumes that I have a right to pull out the hedonist's hairs. But that leads us into an entirely different philosophical area.

I disagree. At least on the level of first principles, the utilitarian calculus doesn't know the first thing about rights and duties, so has no basis for making assumptions about them. As it may turn out, defining and defending rights tends to make people happy, so utilitarians believe it ought to be done. But on the fundamental level, total ignorance of rights and duties.
0 Replies

djbt

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 05:18 am
Ray wrote:
As to "not saving someone's life", I think that it is morally wrong to not save someone's life when you can, but as to sacrificing an innocent person's life to save people's life, I'd say it is immoral.

Let me play the hypotheticals game.

You are an armed policeman at a harbour. A one-man vessel docks. A man gets out and is walking down the otherwise empty pier. You get a call over your radio. It tells you that, beyond any possible doubt, this man is unknowingly carrying a deadly virus which, although it will cause no harm to him, will spread like wild fire if he gets within 5 feet of another person, and kill the majority of whatever country you are in in a horrifically painful way.

There is no way to stop the man other than by shooting him dead, and you know that shooting him dead will undoubtably stop the virus spreading.

Do you sacrifice the innocent man's life, or do you let him pass on the virus and kill millions?

joefromchicago wrote:
djbt wrote:
So, my answer to your hypothetical would depend on these factors:
(a) Would being shot be a more or less painful way to die?
(b) Would the fact that B had been shot upset B's family more than if he'd just been killed?
(c) Is the waste of a bullet or two a bad thing?

In short, the more blameworthy act would be the one with the worst consequences, presuming A would be able to anticipate these consequences.

You previously wrote: "To not save someone is to act in a way that results in that person's death. To kill someone is to act in a way that results in that person's death. So killing and not saving are morally equivalent action." If killing and not saving are morally equivalent, then your factors are useless: A is equally culpable regardless of what he does.

Now, if you want to argue that the factors you've identified establish that A was more blameworthy for murdering B than for watching him die, then you'll have to explain your previous remark regarding the moral equivalency of the two.

I don't want to establish this, I think the factors I put forward could swing it either way. The point I was trying to make about moral equivalency was that the known consequences of killing and not saving are equal - someone dies. So (and I should have added this earlier, apologies) other things being equal the acts are morally equivalent. Of course, one murder could be worse than another, one not-saving worse than another not-saving, etc.

joefromchicago wrote:
djbt wrote:
Note that (2) says: 'It is good for people to feel pleasure', not 'It is good for a person that they feel pleasure'. That someone's else pleasure is as important as one's own is part of the premise.

Why should anyone accept that premise?

I've no idea. I accept that premise because acting upon it seems to me to be the most likely way to achieve benevolent aims. But why ought one be benevolent? I don't know. That's the same as asking why ought one be good. Every moral system, surely, must have ought premises, and I can't see how anyone who disagreed with these could be convinced to accept them either. We're stumbling back towards moral relativism now...

joefromchicago wrote:
djbt wrote:
Do you disagree with the premises? If so, why? Because you don't think that it is bad for people to suffer pain, or because you don't think pain is the only evil?

Because I can't see how you go from saying that pleasure is good to concluding that one should act to maximize someone else's pleasure.

I would say that 'one should act to maximise happiness for all' is not a conclusion, but a premise. If you dislike it as a premise, please explain why. (I see Thomas call it a conclusion, but then his assumption that two units of pleasure are better than one unit of pleasure, regardless of who feels them, is really exactly the same premise).

Thomas wrote:
djbt has explicitly stated this for his version of utilitarianism already. He said "all things that experience have the same claim to happiness". For admittedly non-utilitarian reasons, I am not as sure as he is about animals.

What are these non-utilitarian reasons?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 05:29 am
djbt wrote:
Thomas wrote:
djbt has explicitly stated this for his version of utilitarianism already. He said "all things that experience have the same claim to happiness". For admittedly non-utilitarian reasons, I am not as sure as he is about animals.

Homo-sapiens-centrism, chauvinism, and prejudices I guess. Nothing an armchair ethicist could be proud of. I just don't happen to think that animals have ethical claims on my behavior equal to those my fellow humans have. And eating a hamburger just does not happen to trouble my conscience much. It's more an observation about myself than something I could defend on principle.
0 Replies

djbt

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 05:36 am
joefromchicago wrote:
djbt wrote:

Another thought regarding why I accept this premise.

As a general guideline for deciding which moral system I support, I consider what moral system I would wish everyone to conform to if;

(a) I where to experience the lives of all things.
(b) Something devilishly malicious, which happened to detest me, got to choose the one thing I would get to live as.

For (a) I would choose utilitarianism pretty much regardless of how the happiness calculus was done. For (b) I would choose a form of utilitarianism which tended to weigh pain against pain, but not pleasure against pain (such as ethically negative utilitarianism).

A more system which was as near to optimal as possible in both of these circumstances would, for me, be the best possible moral system.
0 Replies

djbt

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 05:41 am
Thomas wrote:
djbt wrote:
Thomas wrote:

Homo-sapiens-centrism, chauvinism, and prejudices I guess. Nothing an armchair ethicist could be proud of. I just don't happen to think that animals have ethical claims on my behavior equal to those my fellow humans have. And eating a hamburger just does not happen to trouble my conscience much. It's more an observation about myself than something I could defend on principle.

Well, I admire your honesty!

But really, do you have any reason at all for thinking that the opinion:
Thomas wrote:
I just don't happen to think that animals have ethical claims on my behavior equal to those my fellow humans have.

..is any more justified than saying;
Quote:
I just don't happen to think that women have ethical claims on my behavior equal to those my fellow men have.

or;
Quote:
I just don't happen to think that blacks have ethical claims on my behavior equal to those my fellow whites have.
?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 06:04 am
djbt wrote:
But really, do you have any reason at all for thinking that the opinion:

[opinions snipped, Thomas]

...is any more justified than saying;
Quote:
I just don't happen to think that women have ethical claims on my behavior equal to those my fellow men have.

or;
Quote:
I just don't happen to think that blacks have ethical claims on my behavior equal to those my fellow whites have.
?

If the emphasis is on "reason" and "thinking", the answer is no. I don't believe you can think your way towards ethical behavior, any more than you can think your way towards not walking off a cliff. Ultimately, our thinking will always depend on sensory organs for data -- such as eyes for optical input and consciences for ethical input.
0 Replies

djbt

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 06:18 am
Then you are, it would seem, a moral relativist, and as much as I'd like to, I have no argument to use against you. I think joefromchigago might, though...

Suffice to say that what your conscience tell you is clearly very different from what mine tells me.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 08:11 am
Thomas wrote:
Joe: Let me address your last point first. I agree you have spotted an implicit assumption I have made, and that I have to append my premise accordingly. djbt has explicitly stated this for his version of utilitarianism already. He said "all things that experience have the same claim to happiness". For admittedly non-utilitarian reasons, I am not as sure as he is about animals. But at least as far as humans are concerned I would agree with him and thus rephrase my premis as "pleasure is good, no matter who feels it". (Note that a hedonist would not say that) Or, more quantitatively put: "Other things equal, when two people feel a unit of pleasure each, that is as good as if one person feels two units, and twice as good as when one person feels one unit and the other feels none. I'm sure one could state it more rigorously, but this should be good enough to distinguish between utilitarians and hedonists. I think it is also good enough to justify the conclusion that pleasure ought to be maximized throughout society.

Let's take my previous example: a person's many enemies would experience great pleasure in seeing that person commit suicide. Certainly, under your calculus, the pleasure of the many outweigh the pleasure of the one. So is the individual morally obliged to commit suicide in order to maximize society's pleasure?

Thomas wrote:
No, I am saying that they ought to be maximizers of pleasure as defined by the utilitarian calculus -- and that the utilitarian calculus counts as a negative any displeasure they may experience as a side effect of their increasing other people's pleasure.

No doubt, but that doesn't address my question. If some people in a utilitarian society are abnormally displeased by the notion of maximizing the pleasure of others, are they relieved of any utilitarian moral obligation to maximize pleasure for others?

Thomas wrote:
I disagree. At least on the level of first principles, the utilitarian calculus doesn't know the first thing about rights and duties, so has no basis for making assumptions about them. As it may turn out, defining and defending rights tends to make people happy, so utilitarians believe it ought to be done. But on the fundamental level, total ignorance of rights and duties.

I'm not sure that I agree, but I recognize that it is a side issue for now.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 08:26 am
djbt wrote:
I don't want to establish this, I think the factors I put forward could swing it either way. The point I was trying to make about moral equivalency was that the known consequences of killing and not saving are equal - someone dies. So (and I should have added this earlier, apologies) other things being equal the acts are morally equivalent. Of course, one murder could be worse than another, one not-saving worse than another not-saving, etc.

You are totally confused. On the one hand, you say that killing and not-saving are morally equivalent. On the other hand, you say that "one murder could be worse than another." Your "all things being equal" qualifier is useless here -- in effect, you're saying that killing and not-saving are morally equivalent unless they aren't. That's an exception that swallows the rule.

djbt wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:

I've no idea. I accept that premise because acting upon it seems to me to be the most likely way to achieve benevolent aims. But why ought one be benevolent? I don't know. That's the same as asking why ought one be good. Every moral system, surely, must have ought premises, and I can't see how anyone who disagreed with these could be convinced to accept them either. We're stumbling back towards moral relativism now...

No, a moral system should not have any "ought premises." That would be question-begging. Any "ought" should be a conclusion, not a premise.

djbt wrote:
I would say that 'one should act to maximise happiness for all' is not a conclusion, but a premise. If you dislike it as a premise, please explain why. (I see Thomas call it a conclusion, but then his assumption that two units of pleasure are better than one unit of pleasure, regardless of who feels them, is really exactly the same premise).

See my previous response.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 08:29 am
djbt wrote:

As a general guideline for deciding which moral system I support, I consider what moral system I would wish everyone to conform to if;

That's watered down Kantianism.

djbt wrote:
(b) Something devilishly malicious, which happened to detest me, got to choose the one thing I would get to live as.

And so is that.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 08:29 am
BM
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 09:53 am
djbt wrote:
Then you are, it would seem, a moral relativist, and as much as I'd like to, I have no argument to use against you. I think joefromchigago might, though...

I don't see how that follows. My eyes, ears, nose and sense of taste may very well tell me something very different than what yours tell you. To take just the most obvious example, I am shortsighted and you may not be. Does my acknowledging this mean that I'm an epistemological relativist, and that we have no way of knowing anything about reality?
0 Replies

djbt

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 10:16 am
joefromchicago wrote:
djbt wrote:

You are totally confused. On the one hand, you say that killing and not-saving are morally equivalent. On the other hand, you say that "one murder could be worse than another." Your "all things being equal" qualifier is useless here -- in effect, you're saying that killing and not-saving are morally equivalent unless they aren't. That's an exception that swallows the rule.

Well, I'm sure you can see what I'm trying (trying evidently being the operative word...) to say: 'Killing is not inherently any worse or any better than not saving'.

joefromchicago wrote:
djbt wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:

No, a moral system should not have any "ought premises." That would be question-begging. Any "ought" should be a conclusion, not a premise.

So what type of premises could this 'ought-conclusion' be built upon? Ought-premises? Too question-begging, apparently. Is-premises? But then you would deriving an 'ought' from an 'is', which, as far as I understand it, is logically impossible. How would you resolve this?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 10:19 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Thomas wrote:

No doubt, but that doesn't address my question. If some people in a utilitarian society are abnormally displeased by the notion of maximizing the pleasure of others, are they relieved of any utilitarian moral obligation to maximize pleasure for others?

In principle, yes -- if his displeasure from helping is so great, or the happiness he could bring to society so minor, that his displeasure from helping is always greater than the pleasure of society from being helped by him. I don't believe such people are common enough to be a problem in practice though.
0 Replies

djbt

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 10:24 am
joefromchicago wrote:
djbt wrote:

That's watered down Kantianism.

djbt wrote:

And so is that.

Well, whatta you know? I guess I'm a watered-down Kantian as well as a utilitarian.

However, I require enlightenment. How have you come to the conclusion that this is watered down Kantianism?
0 Replies

djbt

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 10:30 am
Thomas wrote:
djbt wrote:

I don't see how that follows. My eyes, ears, nose and sense of taste may very well tell me something very different than what yours tell you. To take just the most obvious example, I am shortsighted and you may not be. Does my acknowledging this mean that I'm an epistemological relativist, and that we have no way of knowing anything about reality?

Well, it seems as though you are denying there is an objective morality discoverable by reason.

So, are you saying there is an objective morality that is discoverable by one's conscience, or are you saying there is no objective morality? If the former, how will we know which of our consciences isn't working properly? If the later, you are a moral relativist.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 10:54 am
djbt wrote:
So, are you saying there is an objective morality that is discoverable by one's conscience,

Yes.

djbt wrote:
If the former, how will we know which of our consciences isn't working properly?

In a similar way as you find out that someone is red-green blind. Or that somebody is incapable of speaking grammatically correct English. Our language instinct is perhaps even more comparable to our justice instinct than our physical senses are.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 02:09 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Let's take my previous example: a person's many enemies would experience great pleasure in seeing that person commit suicide. Certainly, under your calculus, the pleasure of the many outweigh the pleasure of the one. So is the individual morally obliged to commit suicide in order to maximize society's pleasure?

My answer to your question is close to "yes". If he committed suicide, that would be ethically preferable to his not doing so. When Adolf Hitler committed suicide, that was one of the most ethical things he ever did. (Which admittedly is not saying much, considering the other things he did.) The only way in which his suicide was arguably unethical is that it took away from the rest of the world the satisfaction of seeing him hang.

joefromchicago wrote:

While I have reason to believe that such "utility monsters" are rare enough to be neglected in practice, I think that part of my last answer to you was a bit of a cop-out. So let me address a concrete example of your scenario instead. Say somebody has an illness that sends him into an extremely painful epileptic seizure every time he holds the door up for someone, helps an old lady cross a street, pays a single dollar in taxes, or does anything else for society. I have no problem saying that a society that relieves such a person from such duties is ethically preferrable to a society that does not. Would you rather put him through those seizures?
0 Replies