"Many great sales"? Is this understandable to you?

Mon 26 Nov, 2018 06:52 am
The ad text below appears to be Chinglish. "Many great sales"? Is this understandable to you native English speakers?

http://imgbbs.baby577.com/forum/201810/30/215733flfwfkf7kwxk72k2.jpg

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
tsarstepan

Mon 26 Nov, 2018 07:02 am
@oristarA,
It's pretty awkward... but I can still get the obvious gist of the statement.
0 Replies

PUNKEY
  Selected Answer

Mon 26 Nov, 2018 07:23 am
What’s so confusing?

Stores offer sales and discounts. They can have one sale, a weekend sale, a month-long sale, or many great sales (of their products).
0 Replies

oristarA

Mon 26 Nov, 2018 07:53 am
Thank you.

Should "100% originals" be "100% original"?

And should "sell any knockoffs and imitations" be "sell any knockoff and imitation"?
najmelliw

Mon 26 Nov, 2018 09:47 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

The ad text below appears to be Chinglish. "Many great sales"? Is this understandable to you native English speakers?

I'm not a native English speaker, but I believe I have decent mastery in the language. I could understand it just fine. However, I would change the flavor text to something like:
'We offer many great discounts, making this fragrance for instance cheaper than in the department stores. Packaging for this product may vary from that shown in the image above. All our fragrances are 100% original, we do not sell any knockoffs or imitations.'

I added for instance, because presumably you do not offer many great discounts and sales (this is somewhat redundant.. the words sale and discount are pretty similar in their meaning) for that one fragrance, but for the whole range of fragrances being sold. Since a 100% original product already implies it is made by the original designers, it is redundant to say so again. Also, I switched the order around, opening with the discount statement, as the fact that you don't sell imitations is more of a disclaimer than something to advertise with (unless China is rife with stores selling knockoffs and imitations, I suppose).

oristarA

Mon 26 Nov, 2018 09:56 am
@najmelliw,
Much better.

Thank you. Wink
0 Replies

chai2

Mon 26 Nov, 2018 10:46 am
@najmelliw,
najmelliw wrote:

discounts and sale (this is somewhat redundant)

^^

This is interesting to me as a native English speaker.

I welcome others take on these 2 words.

To me, while technically they mean the same thing (taking money in the form of dollars or percentage off a price), it has a different connotation for me.

The term discount has more of a caveat emptor ring to it. That or taking advantage of buying something that is totally useful and fine, but has outlived its shelf life. Or similar. More like there is some reason the price is being lowered.

If I wanted a new TV, I'd probably wait for a sale (knowing they usually come around holidays). I'd expect, for sake of agrument to buy a TV at 25% off.

If while at the store, I noticed either a TV that was or wasn't on sale had some superficial damage, like a dent, that didn't affect the performance, or matter to me. I might ask if I could get an additional discount. The manager, knowing no one else may want to buy the TV that way, may give me an additional percentage off.

I'm thinking of a store in the US called Discount Tires. I just looked at their website, and right now they are also offering rebates of up to 20% off some of their tires. I'm guessing they also offer additional sales at times, don't know.

My assumption, not checking the business profile of DTs, is that somehow they are able to keep their overhead or other business expenses down, and are able to pass these savings along to the consumer.

So their product is fine, it's just in general they are less expensive.

Thoughts anyone?

PUNKEY

Mon 26 Nov, 2018 10:51 am
This is probably a discount store and it offers additional sales on top of the discounted price.

The markup on furniture and perfume is huge.
0 Replies

Ponderer

Mon 26 Nov, 2018 11:17 am
Uh...Shouldn't it be "Christian Dior"? (Hello, packaging?)
najmelliw

Mon 26 Nov, 2018 11:53 am
@najmelliw,
najmelliw wrote:

I'm not a native English speaker, but I believe I have decent mastery in the language. I could understand it just fine. However, I would change the flavor text to something like:

I am well aware there is a tremendous amount of irony in this here statement of mine. I apologize for being an a$$, I suppose Smile
Ponderer

Mon 26 Nov, 2018 12:33 pm
@najmelliw,
Indeed you do have a decent mastery of English. If you were referring to my remark ("Hello, packaging ?"), it in no way referred to anything that you wrote. One way to spot a knock-off is by misspellings. "Hello, packaging?" is the scene in which the company president calls the packaging department to tell them they got the name backwards.
najmelliw

Mon 26 Nov, 2018 01:12 pm
@Ponderer,
Actually, it was a literal reference to what I had posted myself, and has in no way any bearing on what you said. Be that as it may, thanks for the explanation, that clears things up a bit Smile
Ponderer

Mon 26 Nov, 2018 01:54 pm
@najmelliw,
I'm glad there was no misunderstanding on your part. Thank you.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 26 Nov, 2018 04:33 pm
@oristarA,
Many great deals sounds more natural. A sale is an event, usually over a certain amount of days covering a wide range of products. Within the sale there will be lots of deals.

Great deals can still be offered outside of a sale too.
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Mon 26 Nov, 2018 07:32 pm
@chai2,
Sales and discounts can be thought of as synonymous marketing terms used in the search for the holiest of grails, the bargain.

Who amongst us has not lusted after 'women's clothing half off'?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 26 Nov, 2018 07:36 pm
@chai2,
yup

my take on discounts and sales is the same as yours

fairly different concepts when it comes to <cough> the art of the deal <cough>
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 26 Nov, 2018 07:38 pm
@najmelliw,
najmelliw wrote:
making this fragrance for instance cheaper than in the department stores.

just no
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 26 Nov, 2018 07:41 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
should "100% originals" be "100% original"?

no

all our fragrances are originals

it is a good way of getting around a legality - doesn't say they are the original fragrances but that the designers of the original have created these fragrances
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 26 Nov, 2018 07:42 pm
@najmelliw,
najmelliw wrote:
Since a 100% original product already implies it is made by the original designers, it is redundant to say so again.

nope

they're saying something different
ehBeth

Mon 26 Nov, 2018 07:43 pm
@Ponderer,
if it were indeed Christian Dior - which is unlikely

the OP looks like a classic ad for a mmmm knock-off Smile of Christian Dior
0 Replies