Terri's Law, Who voted for it?

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 01:55 am
Where can I see a list of everyone who voted to pass Terri's Law so that I'll know who to vote out of office in 2006?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 872 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 01:59 am
Yeah! I don't want any of those "sanctity of life" people in my government. I want the "starve to death" people!
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 03:19 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Yeah! I don't want any of those "sanctity of life" people in my government. I want the "starve to death" people!

It's called "death with dignity" or "rite to die". And the majority of Americans are for it. Check the latest polls...

Sanctity of life to the Neo-Con's obviously doesn't apply to the people on death row or the women and children in Iraq, or the men and women in the service who's lives are wasted to defend a lie. That's hypocritical.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 03:30 am
Brandon9000 wrote:

How about the 'Let's lie about WMDs so we can invade Iraq and steal their oil!' Republicans....

Did you know in the soap-opera that went with this case another 8 Americans died in Iraq. We don't know how many Iraqis died, because 'moral' Americans don't give a f*ck about the lives of anyone else, now do they??
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 06:19 am
Mr Stillwater wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

How about the 'Let's lie about WMDs so we can invade Iraq and steal their oil!' Republicans....

Did you know in the soap-opera that went with this case another 8 Americans died in Iraq. We don't know how many Iraqis died, because 'moral' Americans don't give a f*ck about the lives of anyone else, now do they??

Well, you said numerous incorrect things, but one in particular intrigues me. Just out of curiosity, how exactly are we stealing their oil? If you believe that we are carting it off without paying, could you give some evidence?
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 02:52 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:

Maybe you'd care to comment on Quality vs Quantity of life Brandon?
...and explain how the term "sanctity of life" can be applied to Schiavo.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 03:40 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:

No, I don't want any of those "big brother government" people in my government. I want the people who know that government doesn't belong in private affairs.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 03:45 pm
To answer your question, I heard it was a late night voice only vote so no roll call or record was taken of who voted yeah.

I heard there were only three republican senators present for the vote. Obviously, one was Delay.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 03:50 pm
Here's the timeline and names of those involved. Heard the same on news casts, so I trust it to be correct.

http://bigdaddytx.dailykos.com/story/2005/3/23/214148/872
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 04:11 pm
candidone1 wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Maybe you'd care to comment on Quality vs Quantity of life Brandon?
...and explain how the term "sanctity of life" can be applied to Schiavo.

Yes, sure. Thank you. Well, folks, there was not in fact agreement either among doctors or among people close to TS as to whether she might be aware of her life and want it to continue. Look at the results from the five court appointed doctors in 2002. If she was self-aware and wanted to remain alive, then it was murder regardless of any court or legislative decision. I would like to know exactly what diagnostic tests were done. I have never seen any kind of list.

Furthermore, in the courtroom, different witnesses reported opposite comments by TS during casual conversations as to what she had to say about her wishes for this situation. She didn't write anything down. Since most of the case rests on the idea of fulfilling her wishes, it rests on nothing. And please don't tell me that the courts decided that the evidence regarding her wishes was very clear. If you want to talk about the evidence, then state what the evidence was.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 09:58 pm
Right now in this country there's probably a hand full of people who have had their feeding tubes removed, and we made a big deal about Terri... Why? Because the parents took it to the media and turned it into a media circus. Everything you hear about the case on the news comes from the parents point of view so everyone has concluded that the husband is such a bad guy for making what should be a private and personal decision between him and his wife.

He stuck with the decision and didn't back down in the face of fire and death threats. That's integrity! I only hope that if I ever end up a turnup and the feds try to deny my rite to die that I have someone that devoted to see me through to my death.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 09:59 am
Amen. If it were me, I would hope that my husband would fight my parents tooth and nail to keep me from being kept alive that way.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 03:32 pm
I wonder:

Do all these neoconservatives who feel that Terry was "murdered" feel just as strongly about a living will?
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 04:11 pm
The good news, if you can call it that, is that there is apparently a large movement within the country at this time to get living wills written. Apparently, there were a whole lot of people more afraid that they could wind up like Terri than those who were outraged that nature could be allowed to take its course.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 04:40 pm
If a neoconservative was under the same conditions as Terri (albeit with a living will), would they feel as though they were being "murdered" by having the feeding tube removed?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 10:24 pm
Actually, if Terri had had a living will and it had referred to a situation close to the one she found herself in, I would not even be having this discussion, since then we would have some idea of her own preferences.

But, you know, folks, living wills aren't that great either because they cannot adapt to circumstance. I mean, let's say you put very strong DNR orders in your living will and then a scenario occurs that you didn't expect - for example, you get stung by a bee and go into anaphylactic shock. The doctor can probably pull you out of it with no permanent harm to you, but the poor guy's hands are tied because of the DNR wording in the living will. In most cases, a health proxy is better, because he can intelligently take the actual circumstances under consideration - in most cases. Many times circumstances occur that no one could really have forseen.
0 Replies